Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

SW Florida: need a ear cropping referral

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  BulletsGirl 
#1 ·
I'm a new member.
We just put a deposit on a 3 week old male (out of Fox Crossings Farm Ocala, Fl). Neither Sire or Dam are cropped. I've heard about Leigh McBride DVM. I'm happy to make the drive, but are there any other DVM's with high Crop skills closer to Sarasota, Florida? Also, any comments about this breeder? Waiting the 6 weeks to pick my boy up is going to seem like forever.

#2 · (Edited)
First, welcome to DT!

Since you asked...
A quick google search and I found the breeder. They're not one I"ve ever heard of but with health testing all they mention is vWD status and hips. While both of those things are important it isn't nearly enough (what about eyes, thyroid, elbows, heart, etc?). This is a pretty unhealthy breed - the parents should be fully health tested. Do they do anything with their dogs or are they just breeding two pets?

Based simply on the information I found, they are nor a breeder I would buy from.
Perhaps somebody on here knows more about them and I"m sure there will be people who can recommend a cropping vet.

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Thanks. I had asked most of the breeder questions suggested. I didn't know about thyroid etc.. I am looking for a quality Doberman for companionship, no showing, no breeding. I've had family and friends with Dobies, love the intelligence and devotion. I haven't know any with health problems.

The breeder has one litter a year. I was impressed with the temperament of both parents. The Dam is 4 yrs old and it is her first litter. It is a working horse farm. I thought hips and blood disorder, and cardio were my only concerns. Money/cost is not an issue. I have some thinking to do.

#11 ·
I have no advise on your choice of breeder because I didn't look them up... The advice I want to give you is this,

If you "think" you're saving money anywhere with this breeder, you might want to look into the $$$ for getting ears croped.

My vet in Melbourne did an exellent job with Kira's ears. He charges $500.00 and all of the fallow-ups and re-posting are free!

The fallow-ups and re-posting were a weekly appt. for us with our girl.

I don't know where McBride is (again I didn't look her up either) but keep in mind that ear posting is a VERY DILLIGENT JOB and I would say 75% of the finished results depend on it!

I called it "My Labor of Love" with Kira being my first Doberman!
Very stressfull and hands on :D but, worth every penny and minute!

Again I am only speeking from experiance from my first and only time with ears!

If $$$ is no option I might suggest either finding a breeder who has the ears cropped for you close and can give you help with posting... Or finding a good vet locally who can do the job for you and your pup as well as the fallow-ups with posting because posting can be as long as 6months to one year, I've been told.

If you would like to drive up to melbourne... Our vet was remarkiable!
An amazing cut is **** without the proper posting :D

Or you could leave them un-cropped...

Congrats on picking the best breed of dog EVER

#12 ·
OP, I'm glad you are doing some thinking on your choice of breeder. I know it's very hard to reconsider, but I've been in your position, and I wish I could go back and pick a better breeder. Health and temperament are both so important.

#13 ·
Thanks. Leigh Mcbride DVM is just south of Ocala. I'm in Sarasota county. My daughter just moved back to the area from Melbourne, I've made that drive often. I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

I've watched and read so much of the information on this site and others on ear crop care (and commitment!) before I decided to crop. I'm an RN (retired) and understand the time and effort needed to get the results post op. Thanks for the heads up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.