Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping to get some help. I am in a domestic violence stalker situation, I have a security alarm on my house and currently have a 12-year old dob shepard mix that I adopted 12 years ago.
I will be needing another "protection" dog soon as my sadie is having eye and hip troubles. BUT I also have a four year old and need to ensure that any dog I bring into my home is an appropriate family pet.
I am not interested in training the dog in "protection" I know just the sound and look of the dog with make my abuser/stalker think twice and back down. I know this because my current dog does.
What I am looking for is a breeder who breeds for good temper and where the puppies are in the house around the family.
Any advice I sure do appreicate, I live in the Midwest and I am willing to travel.

·
Quattro and Apex's Velcro
1,386 Posts
If you want a REAL protection dog - be prepared to spend THOUSANDS of dollars as there is selective breeding and training going into those dogs.

Do NOT buy a dog for the intention of using it as a guard dog unless you buy it from the above circumstance.
I understand that you feel the visual appearance of a Doberman may be enough of a deterrence but you should really do A LOT of research about the breed before you consider buying one. Regardless if you get the dog from a reputable breeder - this breed is a high energy, intelligent breed that needs plenty of excercise (running around a yard doesn't count and neither does play time) and mental stimulation...otherwise you will end up with a destructive and hard to handle dog.

Keep in mind, the presence of any dog usually deters theives and any other intruders as dogs in general usually make too much noise and they don't want to risk getting bit.

I know it may sound like I'm trying to convince you not to get a Doberman - believe me I'm not, I'm just trying to say that you really need to make sure you are making a very informed and well researched opinion before you buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I do not want a doberman trained in protection, I also agree that if I was worried about a random stranger/thief any friendly dog would do.

My abuser stalks me, daily. Has broken into my home on multiple occasions and I truly believe that the only reason he has not tried to really kill me is because of my 75 dob/shepard mix.

Just wanting to feel safe, not trying to argue...really...

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
If you are sure that just the presence of a dog will deter your stalker/abuser, your best bet would be to look into adopting an adult dog from a rescue. That way, you can get a kid-friendly dog, avoid the puppy stage, and save a life, all at once.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yikes, I don't envy your situation.

My advice would be to look at adult rescues. That way you already have a trained (depending on the individual dog), full grown adult Doberman in the house rather than going through the puppy stage. Puppies aren't the best deterrents :)

Also, I think an adult Doberman will be easier on your senior dog than a go-go-go puppy.

I agree, I do not want a doberman trained in protection, I also agree that if I was worried about a random stranger/thief any friendly dog would do.

My abuser stalks me, daily. Has broken into my home on multiple occasions and I truly believe that the only reason he has not tried to really kill me is because of my 75 dob/shepard mix.

Just wanting to feel safe, not trying to argue...really...
I would also consider other breeds in your search. Maybe a large perimeter type guard dog, like a mastiff of types.

Have you talked to your local police department? I would be curious as to what they would recommend in this type of situation. My first thought would be to arm myself and then if at all possible, move.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I got my Concealed Weapons Permit a shotgun and let him know about it! I also informed him that it was what the police informed me to do with all of the documented 911 calls and restraining orders. I cary Mace at all times, now have a Doberman (who looks like a bad ATZ) I walk her with a bat in the evenings and for the most part during the day...
Yes I have issues too...
And your right to be afraid expecially when logic means NOTHING to him!

Just a thought...

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I am sorry you are in this situation and hope you find peace from this person who is bothering you very, very soon.

Dobes naturally protect their people it is true, but in my opinion they are what I would call high maintenance dogs and I wonder if you will be able to give your new dog what it needs.

The other thing I would like to say is a puppy isnt of much use to you as a protector, rather you end up doing the protecting until it matures sometimes for the whole of its life with some of the more sensitive souls.

If your heart is set on a Dobe have you considered rescuing? There are a great many dogs out there in need of a good home who have been tried and tested in family environs and no rescue would place a dog with you that isn't child friendly.

However, saying that, at the end of the day no Dobe can fight off a man/woman armed with a weapon so please, do not think of them as being infallible, they aren't what they are is loyal to the core and will if they are treat right by you die trying to protect you. But is it fair to put any dog, no matter what breed it is, in the kind of situation where it might have too.

My advice, next time this piece of scum comes calling, put a cap in his a$$. I know it isnt a nice thing to say, but obviously this person doesnt care about what he/she is doing to you so why the heck should you care what you do to him/her.

Please stay safe.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd buy a gun that would be my first step. Also you need to get a restraining order on this guy. I'm surprised he's not in jail already.

If you honestly want a Doberman get an adult. A puppy won't help you at all. Like mentioned before you might want to look into a different dog too like a rottie or a mastif. Mastifs are great with kids but also have the big tough dog act too.

Please be careful. I wish you all the luck in the world. This guy needs to be locked up. Perferably in a nut house.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I live in Ontario so I don't have any breeder suggestions but if someone can suggest a few that are in your area I would contact them to see if they might have an adult that they are looking to rehome. That way you miss the puppy stage as previously suggested, and you can rest assured that it will be well socialized and well trained. It's not uncommon for breeders to keep back a puppy or two from the litter, and if it turns out to not be exactly what they hoped to further their lines with, or if it just doesn't have the right dynamics with other dogs in the house, they will look to rehome the dog. Maybe some of the breeders on the forum can chime in on this. Not to knock rescues, but I think if you go that route you don't always know what you're gonna get in terms of how they would react to a stressful situation involving a stalker.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Any dog can be easily handled with a gun/bat/poison. If your situation is as dire as you say I would get a protection order only because you will be laying the groundwork when something escalates and you have to use force. I would then get either a taser or handgun and learn how to use it. A dog is a good early warning system but you need to be ready, willing and able to handle your attacker.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would say a gun would be best. Depending on what state you live in there is a thing called the Castle Doctrine also known as the make my day law. It states that you have the right to defend yourself in your own home with deadly force. I would also take a concealed weapons class so you can learn about your state laws to having a gun and defending yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for advice. I have a security alarm and PO he is always let out movef founI w me and i am too afraid of guns to.
own one

Dob rescue in IL wont adopt to families with children under 8. If anyone knows of other resques that will adopt to IL residents with younger chilren would live to know.

Thanks

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Very scary.

While you wait to hear back from breeders and rescues, I would visit shelters in the area. You might find what you're looking for there and the process would be much faster.

Is there any way you could relocate? Sounds like you're already documenting everything. I know that a court order will do little to protect you if your stalker decides to take action. Good luck staying safe.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I would second the advice for a gun.

I was, for a very long time, against guns in general. I always thought my dogs were great protection...I mean, who in their right mind would come in my house with Dobermans, right? Wrong. Anyone who truly wants in your home or to hurt you will take out the dogs.

I took a course about a year ago that was a ladies only-pistol self defense class. Me, a few younger women and about 5 Grandmas learned the very basics of handling, holding and loading a gun and then firing. I left the course very comfortable and shortly thereafter purchased my own weapon. I live in Texas so I was also able to take a concealed handgun licensing course and now I carry everywhere.

For your safety, please consider purchasing a hand gun. And if you still want a dog as a deterrent feel free.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you want a dog get a dog.

If you want protection get a means of protection.

Doesn't Necessarily mean you need both(protection dog).

I'm sorry for your situation. A rescue is great for getting rid of would be robbers. What your talking about is not someone looking to steel a VCR. Their intent is harm to you. This to me is far more serious than getting a dog of any training.
Most breeders and trainers will not be apt to sale a dog on premise of it being put directly in harms way. Yes their are some trainers who specialize in fully trained protection dogs, if you got the 15 grand for it knock your socks off. If it were me I'd look for a means to either end the threat, or get into a new area.

Again I'm very sorry for the situation.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Read the Gift of Fear

Hello-

So sorry for the situation you are in. I'm familiar with the statistics of your situation, and urge you not to be squeemish.

Suggest you read "The Gift of Fear." The author is renowned as a security consultant, and has a lot of really good information and food for thought.

That said, a dog is best as a second set of ears and eyes. They can disuade a less than serious threat, but are no match for someone intent on violence.

A dog along with good bar type door locks will buy you time in the event somone tries to get in. Even though it may not be politically correct, I'd recommend you think hard about getting weapons training. Then get a concealed carry permit and a good small gun safe to keep the weapon from falling into the wrong hands. The weapon goes without saying-

·
Registered
609 Posts
After reading your post the question you are asking is: I want a dog who has been socialized with children.(as any large dog is a deterrent)

I would recommend you look at the DPCA breeder referral list and read up on reputable breeders on this site. If rescue is a better option, look into reputable rescues.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts