Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apollo is going into have his teeth cleaned tomorrow morning and while he is under he is having a mass removed from his armpit. it is about the size of a golf ball andthe vet thinks it is just a fatty mass, but we are insistiting he take it out while pollo is under.

One thing has me more than a little concerned is that his leg is now very tender and he is sporadically coming up lame on it. it started wednesday, he was limping around after we got up in the morning - I just thought maybe he slept on it funny, but it has been coming and going since. now his leg is getting sensitive to the touch and where it is sensitive is just on the other side of the bone from where the mass is.

needless to say the closer we get to tomorrow the more nervouse I am getting. everybody keep you fingers crossed for my baby.

cc

·
Registered
602 Posts
We've got our fingers crossed and I hope that everything goes well.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Fingers,paws all crossed and hope for speedy recovery from us lot in England

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, the vet scared the crap out of me this morning, when he looked at pollo's leg, he said one of the main reasons for an older dog to come up lame with no specific injury to point to was bone cancer. I about passed out.

they said to call back after 3 to see if we could bring him home today or not. I am hoping that since we haven't heard anything about his x-rays that no news is good news, but I can't help being scared to death.

I'll post as soon as we know anything. hopefully he will be coming home with some nice shiny pearly whites and a little bald spot on his arm pit.

and yes, Jess, he will be spoiled even more - if that's possible.

cc

cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pollo is back home looking like he lost the argument with an electric razor.

They removed 3 growths. one was definitely fatty tissue and the other two are getting biopsied. the x rays of his front legs came back negative - thank god - they are also doing some blood work to check for lymes.

the vet also took some neck and back xrays which shows that pollo has wobblers. he has 3 compressed discs one of which is especially troubling. they gave him a shot of depo medrol to see if it will help reduce the swelling. Scott couldn't tell if the trouble with his vertabrae were a result of an injury or not. hopfully the injection will reduce the inflamation and his pain. he was very groggy last night and still in a good amount of pain in his front leg. it also didn't help the poor guy that just as we were getting home really bad storms/hail and tornado warnings were ripping thru and the poor bunny does not like thunder.

so we had a long night trying to keep Pollo comfortable. we go back in a week for a check and to see what the results of the lyme titer is. so it sounds like Apolo has a bit of a rough patch ahead.

I have no idea how his teeth look as I didn't have the heart to annoy him by looking. does any one have any good experiences after a wobblers diagnosis?

please?

cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you lap dog - this is the first bit of good news I have had on wobblers. thank you , thank you
cc

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I hope everything turns out o.k. for you guys I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I have heard good things about the gold bead implants. They use them alot on Great Danes, they are very prone to Wobblers also.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all ht links BIB, I have gotten a couple other that have given me a bit of hope. it is just hard right now with all of pollo's shaved spots (one incisiion is still draiining - but fine) and he is limping a bit still. I want to start him on a harness, but the biggest incision is on his armpit, so we are a ways away from being able to use a harnes.

thanks again,
cc

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
No problem CM, It is so hard to see them in pain, and all bandaged up. But hey, at least there are lots of options for treatment! I think a harness is a great idea, and you know they make the padding stuff for them too, so that they are not so uncomfortable under the arms. (Once he gets all healed up) Let us know if there is anything we can do.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Saying prayers for you and Apollo, please try to keep us updated, I know that your schedule is probably pretty full right now.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
We are all behind you and Apollo,and sending hope and prayers your way.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Ditto

1 - 20 of 26 Posts