Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Good luck. Are you having a preventative gastropexy done at the same time as the spay? We did with Shanoa and I'm really glad we did. It was worth the extra cost. I know some of the vets here on DT recommend it, and my very good friend who is a vet did as well.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck. Are you having a preventative gastropexy done at the same time as the spay? We did with Shanoa and I'm really glad we did. It was worth the extra cost. I know some of the vets here on DT recommend it, and my very good friend who is a vet did as well.
I will check it out thanks

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'll be sending good thoughts towards you and Shilow!

My vet mentioned the preventative gastropexy to me when I took Dreizehn in for his first exam. If he ever has an internal surgical procedure it's something I"ll be considering.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I wish I had gone through with it when Zeus was neutered. I totally forgot. He had bigger issues at the time. I recommend it to my friends.

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
I wish I had gone through with it when Zeus was neutered. I totally forgot. He had bigger issues at the time. I recommend it to my friends.
I'm not sure I would recommend it with a neuter, which is not usually an invasive surgery. With a spay, there is already an incision and it's easy to add in the gastropexy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got my girl spayed.

She terrifies me by how lively she is!

And now on day 2, she looks really swollen. Like there's a huge bulge on her tummy. Is this normal?

I think crating pretty much all the time straight after surgery is the way forward. I stupidly gave in to her pleas to come and cuddle with me, which was inevitably followed by living room zoomies and sofa leaps!

Do these dogs feel nothing?!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got my girl spayed.

She terrifies me by how lively she is!

And now on day 2, she looks really swollen. Like there's a huge bulge on her tummy. Is this normal?

I think crating pretty much all the time straight after surgery is the way forward. I stupidly gave in to her pleas to come and cuddle with me, which was inevitably followed by living room zoomies and sofa leaps!

Do these dogs feel nothing?!
That sure sounds like my girl also so keeping her calm till she heels will be the job. I am not sure about the sweeling but I am sure some swelling would be normal bit it's best to talk to your vet. Good luck with her

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks.

I did speak to the vet yesterday and he said it sounds perfectly normal, but I'm taking her in tonight just in case. Don't wanna chance anything.

I tried some calming last night...didn't go so well. She's developed a new thing because she's all frustrated from post-surgery lack of exersize....she does these flea bounces when she gets excited.

When I say flea bounce, I mean it resembles a flea because all 4 paws come off the floor and she goes straight upward.

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Thanks.

I did speak to the vet yesterday and he said it sounds perfectly normal, but I'm taking her in tonight just in case. Don't wanna chance anything.

I tried some calming last night...didn't go so well. She's developed a new thing because she's all frustrated from post-surgery lack of exersize....she does these flea bounces when she gets excited.

When I say flea bounce, I mean it resembles a flea because all 4 paws come off the floor and she goes straight upward.
I had to crate my girl pretty much all the time for several days following her spay surgery.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had to crate my girl pretty much all the time for several days following her spay surgery.
I think I am going to ask the vet if he can't give her something to calm her little butt down because the deer are rutting here and are coming into our yard so she thinks it's her job to chase them off

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
I think I am going to ask the vet if he can't give her something to calm her little butt down because the deer are rutting here and are coming into our yard so she thinks it's her job to chase them off
I personally prefer crating to drugs. Being crated for several days (other than leashed potty breaks) didn't do any long term damage :D

Reactions: Sherryh and Adara

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I personally prefer crating to drugs. Being crated for several days (other than leashed potty breaks) didn't do any long term damage :D
I don't like the drugs either, I guess I worry to much. I suppose I could move her crate in by me because she gets pissed if she knows I am in other room and she is stuck in there, because then she will proceed to let me no this crap aint gettin in here buddy so let me the hell out !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts