Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Justice's Mom
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 1/2 month old female doberman who has already had some scary issues. She is on antibiotics and the surgeon said he doesn't like keeping her on antibiotics for this long at this age because it can cause long term cartilage damage. Are there any supplements to help with this? Anything else widely used to stop future bone/joint or other misc problems?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I give my Callie Dasuquin daily, in addition to the usual 1200mg of fish oil and 400 iu of vitamin E, all as preventative maintenance :)

I get the Dasuquin (which is for joints) off Amazon.
Amazon.com: Nutramax Dasuquin for Dogs Over 60 Pounds - 150 Tablets: Pet Supplies

The Dasuquin is from the same company that makes Cosequin, but its a little better- it contains ASU to help their bodies process and use the chondroitin and glucosamine. They work together to promote cartilage production and maintenance of joints. Thats the eggshell version of what my vet told me :)

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
I have a 4 1/2 month old female doberman who has already had some scary issues. She is on antibiotics and the surgeon said he doesn't like keeping her on antibiotics for this long at this age because it can cause long term cartilage damage. Are there any supplements to help with this? Anything else widely used to stop future bone/joint or other misc problems?
Ummmm, what is she on the antibiotics for?

Have you talked with the surgeon about using supplements? Some supplements should not be used in conjunction with a variety of medications. And sometimes supplements will not prevent certain problems.

Bone/joint and misc problems doesn't really give enough information for a reasonable answer but where there had been surgery involved and for which she is still being given antibiotics I'd first discuss this with the surgeon.

Unfortunately there are a number of conditions which need drugs to control or cure but which shouldn't be administered long term to puppies--but if the medication is a matter of life or death even if there may be fallout later from it's use you don't always have much of a choice.

Talk to the vet first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts