Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I supplement my 6 yr old male dobe who is 100 lbs with fish oil and vitamin e, I was reading about coconut oil and am going tO start that, should I be giving him any other supplements? He eats canidae dog food.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We also use Fish Oil or Canned Sardines in pure Olive Oil and Vit E. You can also look into Krill Oil. We also do supplement with Organic Coconut Oil.
We also give a Organic Egg a day also.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Stryker, I have recently discovered that the omega 9 fatty acid in olive oil competes with the omega 3s in the sardines for uptake in the body. So it would be better to give sardines packed in water or tomatoes. If a person wants to give olive oil, it would be best to give it in a seperate meal.///// OP, why are you wanting to suppliment? Helps to know that to know which suppliments to recommend. I would recommend giving 300 mgs DHA/EPA per 20 to 30 lbs bodyweight every day split into two doses. That is minumum, so dont worry about going over. You must give vit E with fish oil. Recommended dosage is 5 to 10 iu per one pound bodyweight per day. I also giving vitamin C, 500 mgs twice a day. Give all suppliments with meals and start slowly, building up to daily dosage. There is a lot of information on suppliments and other health related information in the DogAware site I have below in my signature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to supplement for his health, he is 6 yrs old. I want to supplement so he is as healthy as can be

1 - 6 of 6 Posts