Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...
Right now the girls get Synovi G3 (a joint supplement) and fish oil. I want to add both Vitamin E and C. I found just C/Esther- or just E. Anything I find that has both has small amounts of both and I'm not sure it's enough.

Anyone here use something that is a combo, or do you all do it separately - oil, E, C? I don't have a problem doing it all separately if need be, but it seems that these are the most commonly used vitamins and it surprises me that someone hasn't made a good combo yet. I'm sure I just haven't found it yet.

Also, please let me know the approximate amounts of each that you use - E and C that is.

Thanks much!

·
Extraordimary
5,072 Posts
Mine get 400 IU of vitamin E per day, 1000 mg of vitamin C per day (started at 500 mg and went to 1000 after a couple of weeks), and they get 2000 mg of salmon oil (started at 1000 mg and went to 2000 mg after a couple of weeks).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I do use salmon oil and E - because I agree with the research that fish oil does deplete the bodies reserves of Vitamin E. I supplement E using this chart:

0-25 pounds 100 iu
25-50 200 iu
50-75 400 iu
75-100 600 iu

No doubt someone will be able to add to this thread.....

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
This was posted in The Whole Dog Journal--June 2007

FOR a 40lb DOG. Adjust accordingly.
Daily supplements--you asked about C & E
This is what is listed for C & E They also list other optional supplements--if you want I can list those also.
500mg vitamin C (preferably sodium ascorbate or calcium ascorbate, rather than asorbic acid) once or twice daily
200 IUs vitamin E (required as least once a week if giving oils)

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine get 400 IU of vitamin E per day, 1000 mg of vitamin C per day (started at 500 mg and went to 1000 after a couple of weeks), and they get 2000 mg of salmon oil (started at 1000 mg and went to 2000 mg after a couple of weeks).
How much to they weigh? 70-90 lbs?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Would love it, thanks!
Here it is.
Sample Daily supplemenets (optional) Posted Whole Dog Journal---June 2007
2 fish oil capsules (400-600 combined EPA & DHA)
200 IUS vitamin E (required at least once a week if giving oils)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp green blend
500 mg vitamin C (preferably sodium ascorbate or calcium ascorbate, rather than ascorbic acid) once or twice a day
Vitamin B-50 complex once or twice a day
Cod Liver oil in an amount yielding 100 to 2oo IU`s vitamin D
1/2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon raw honey
1 clove fresh crushed garlic
1 to 2 tBsp nutritional yeast
This is for a 40lb. dog. Adjust as needed for individual dog, keeping in mind that, on average, larger dogs will eat less for their weight, and smaller dogs more.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
And remember when giving fish oil, it is the fish oil not fish liver oil (as in Cod Liver Oil). Also, if supplementing with E, you really should think about C too. C and E compliment each other.

Reactions: bean

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
No, I give my dogs human grade supplements at all times.... took a look at their brochure - it didn't tell me what really is in their product, unless I missed it somehow.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
I do c, e, and fish oil daily. I will skip the e sometimes, but make sure that they get it at least 3 times a week. I start puppies on suppliments at about 5 months or so at much smaller amounts and work up.

Adult Dobes get:

500 mg of vit c 2x day
1000 mg or is it IU? 1x a day
4oo IM of E 1x a day - 3 or 4 times a week.

I use all human grade stuff - walmart, target or wherever I am shopping.

·
Registered
28 Posts
At what age do you usually start supplementing a dog's food? Do you usually wait till they're almost full size, or does it begin during puppyhood?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Im not familiar with everything my mom gives the dogs...but I know she uses this stuff called "Pet essentials" that she gets from whole foods....anyone know of it?

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's an example... I get excited - it has glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, HA, and vitamin C and E. But not enough C and E really... that is my most common run-in.... http://warreneckstein.com/store/buyag.html#about

I guess for now I do C and E separately... or someone needs to invent a really good supplement for dogs with higher amts of C/E.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
For my Vit C. I use 500mg 2x a day. The Vit. E I use 400 IU once a day with my fish oil. The fish oil I use depends on the dog and what they need.

Just a note on the supplements if you add high amounts. Kibbles do add their own supplements and if you give other treats, ect. Make sure that you look at the amounts even though they usually add small amounts. You don't want to end up adding too much because you give this much from a kibble and this much from another source, ect. They do start to add up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts