Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the breeders.....

If you have to supplement your puppies...what do you give?

Also, when weaning, what you you feed? We are using Orijen Puppy Food as our kibble.

I saw online some use a mixture of goats milk, whole yogurt, egg yolk, and plain syrup to supplement, but wanted to get other ideas.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
If you feed a QUALITY puppy or even adult formula, you don't need any of that other stuff. More problems are caused by over supplementation than under. We mix goat milk in with the soaked kibble the first few days up to maybe a week and then when they are eating well (it usually does not take long), they just get the kibble softened with warm water. We start on a puppy formula, but usually after 1 or 2 bags they are put on our regular adult formula same as our adults. They look great and we seldom have any joint issues, but you never know when they may pop up.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, we are feeding top of the line kibble,-Orijen.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
We mix goat milk in with the soaked kibble the first few days up to maybe a week and then when they are eating well (it usually does not take long), they just get the kibble softened with warm water.
That's exactly what I did when weaning puppies when I was breeding.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have blended the kibble with goat's milk and used to use baby formula and go through a whole ritual, but now we just mix goat's milk, water, and kibble - and then eventually less goat's milk, more water. I still put water on my adult's kibble.

I don't supplement the puppies. I'd be worried about throwing off the balance of the kibble they are getting. A good quality kibble won't need help.

I have heard of some giving vit c (can't overdo that) or calcium during teething and ear taping, but the calcium is something i don't want to mess with.

I do give the pups yogurt and cottage cheese and stuff like that though, and I do use Nzymes which I find has helped with the healing of the stitches.

There are good home made recipes for pups if you need it but again you need to watch what is in it. there was a whole discussion on another forum about corn syrup and cataracts in young puppies.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think she was asking about supplementing very young puppies that need some extra help, or in very big litters to help mom out. If I have to supplement I use half Carnation Evaporated Milk and Half Pediolyte, a bit of Karo Syrup, and some plain or vanilla yogurt. It does a great job. I do just about the same as the others with weaning, sometimes I'll start them off with some baby rice cereal and a good kibble, I love Wellness Just For Puppy, and I use Carnation instead of goat's milk.

Reactions: DobeGirl07

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Pat, yes I was also talking about supplementing young puppies. Thanks Pat for the reply.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I think she was asking about supplementing very young puppies that need some extra help, or in very big litters to help mom out. If I have to supplement I use half Carnation Evaporated Milk and Half Pediolyte, a bit of Karo Syrup, and some plain or vanilla yogurt. It does a great job. I do just about the same as the others with weaning, sometimes I'll start them off with some baby rice cereal and a good kibble, I love Wellness Just For Puppy, and I use Carnation instead of goat's milk.
Our first breeder (1955-1978) insisted our 8 week old pup was given 2% Carnation Evaporated Milk daily, for the first 1.5 years.
- for good joints & bone structure
- obviously, this was part of her puppy feeding routine

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
@ Pat, yes I was also talking about supplementing young puppies. Thanks Pat for the reply.
I use goats milk only, and add a little Karo syrup. Goats milk is easier to digest than cows milk.

I do not use milk replacer like esbilac as I have had colicky puppies on that stuff. Goat milk is easy to get, many stores carry it in the milk section.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
We too use blended kibbles and goats milk, with K9 Puppy Gold as well. I have had great results with this.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Just curious if anyone has ever used this product?!? PUPPY BAC by Natures Farmacy...The guy at natures farmacy claims it's better than Goat's Milk...

Thoughts?!?

Nature's Farmacy - Store - Product Details
Makes me crazy that Nature's Farmacy gives such inadequate product information. They claim that this is "identical" to bitches' milk, but it contains stuff like coconut oil? Do they give an actual ingredient list anywhere?

The formula that is recommended on the Canine Repro list is:
1 cup full fat goat milk
1/2 cup full fat plain yoghurt
1 large egg yolk (strain the membrane off with a fork)
1 teaspoon light or dark Karo syrup

Adding a bit of infant vitamin drops is sometimes recommended.
Adding a bit of liver water is sometimes recommended if pups are weak.
Adding a bit of cream or half and half if you can't find full fat dairy products is sometimes recommended.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts