Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "Warlock" Dobermans are also known as "Kings" or "Goliaths" and are not really a true Doberman breed.

Their existence stems from a surge in demand for "big bad Dobes" back in the 1970's. It is widely believed that Dobes were bred with Great Danes and some other large breeds to satisfy the demand.

Today the term Warlock is applied to the poorly bred and oversized dog which does not conform to the breed's standards. The original "Warlock" was a dog named "Borong the Warlock." Borong was breed in Florida in the mid 1950's by Theodosia and Henry Frampton.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow.... There are so many things wrong with that page, it makes my head spin to think about where to begin.......

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
That's absolutely awful....

Some of their Dobes don't even really look purebred, I see quite a bit of Dane them, especially Nitro.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
The best part, our dobermans are SHOW QUALITY. They have purposely taken YEARS off those dogs lives. Not to mention, I doubt their joints will hold up their whole lives.

You know what the real shame is.... a doberman at the standard is just as effective and "intimidating" (if that is what is attracting these people) as an oversize. Actually it is a better protection dog b/c it's more agile.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The following was found on their FAQ page:

Q. Should I get the ears cropped? Is seems like it hurts the dog.
A. We highly recommend that you get the ears cropped. 1.) This gives your dog that "Doberman" look. This warns people that you have a "Doberman" for your personal protection. 2.) The ear crop protects your investment. If something changes in your life and you need to sell your dog, you will be able to get more money and sell the dog easier--this provides him with a better home also.

Absolutely classic.... Love the "get more money" part, speaks volumes about their ethics...

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh my god tracyjo i cant believe it said that .. that is truly shocking ...i only looked at a couple of the pages of pics and it saddens me to see the ridiculously oversized 'dobies' who actually look like Danes in Dobie colours. It seems this site attracts just the kind of people i wouldnt want looking after a Dobie..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
TracyJo said:

A. We highly recommend that you get the ears cropped. 1.) This gives your dog that "Doberman" look. This warns people that you have a "Doberman" for your personal protection. 2.) The ear crop protects your investment. If something changes in your life and you need to sell your dog, you will be able to get more money and sell the dog easier--this provides him with a better home also.

Absolutely classic.... Love the "get more money" part, speaks volumes about their ethics...

Yeah Tracy, Ethics are just OOZING from this site....

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Unbelievable...some people will cash in on anything they can to make a quick $$

We should really start a "Hall of Shame" forum and start compiling a list of websites like this one.

TD

·
Registered
232 Posts
my friend just recently rescued a FEMALE Dobe, with paws that are bigger than my 11month old males, the female is like 4 or 5 months and she is as tall as he is

i was shocked

·
Registered
2 Posts
TracyJo said:

It does hurt the dog, and many people have a very hard time with taping. We stopped taping our dogs ears. A puppy gains more weight if he/she does not get the surgery.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
joanna said:
It does hurt the dog, and many people have a very hard time with taping. We stopped taping our dogs ears. A puppy gains more weight if he/she does not get the surgery.
HA! Tell that to my 4.5 month old UNcropped string bean! Seriously though this is probably one of the most ludicrous statements that I've read anywhere on the net...

How can a dogs ears - either cropped or uncropped - have any kind of effect on their weight?
Unless you are maybe hinting that a dog who does not go through the stress of the surgery and aftercare (and it probably is stressful) may have a better appetite and therefore gain weight... But (and I'm not advocating either way) I think that's a pretty bold blanket statement to make when there are so many cropped dogs that are equally healthy to those that are uncropped...

And... You said you've stopped taping your dogs ears... Does that mean you advocate cropping but not following up with the procedures required to make them stand OR that you have one dog and had him/her cropped and for whatever reason have decided not to tape?

BTW, just noticed this is your first post... Welcome to the board... Believe it or not we're a pretty fun loving group of people who love to talk about their dobes :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
greenkouki said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA what f***ing idiots. everything stated is totally bs. the part that got me was the "resale", who would sell their pet honestly? and who would give a rats a$$ how much it would be worth if they had to part with it for some reason.... that is really upsetting. :(

It truly is amazing what the "almighty dollar" drives people to do. It's sad to look at your so called beloved pet and see a dollar sign....:sadcry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts