Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, honestly this is all new to me. My first time having a doberman, my first time living in Europe, my first time posting anything on Internet...So thank you so much for reading this and please please help if you can:

I have just got a 9 weeks old doberman puppy, Dex, male, really cute, EXTREMELY active...I am trying to teach him to to pee and poo outside since a big lawn for dogs are just at the corner of my house. But Dex starts to really hate going outside...with this age?!...He refuses to go outside and once I put him there, he starts crying and dragging me back to the house...He is really stubborn on this. Sometimes, I think he owns me. This leads to a big problem in the house as you can imagine. I do not mind cleaning up his piss and poop, but forever? (I try to recall every moment we have been there, so incidents that can cause fear come to my mind)

Also he bites a lot and no matter how many times I say no and take my hands away, he just would not stop. I tried many methods I could find over internet, but still, my hands are covered with scars now. I keep giving him bones and toys, but somehow he decided that his favorites are my hands, my sleepers, and my pants.

It has been two weeks for me not be able to sleep...so please forgive me for being this dramatic...but it starts to wear me down. I love him very much and I hate the idea of giving him back to the breeder coming to my mind...But I am really feeling hopeless on this. So the unknown experienced Dobie owners, your answers to this are truly sincerely appreciated.

A big thank you!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

For getting him used to being outside, I'd take him outside and try to make it a really positive experience. Play with him, give him treats, work on some positive training ect. he'll learn to love it!

Re the biting, I use the method where if he bites you, make a squealing nose like you're in pain and then immediately stop any play and leave the room for a minute or too. When you come back to play, initiate play with a toy instead. Sometimes squealing can make some puppies more excitable, so if this doesn’t work do a firm 'AH-AH' and leave the room. Dont worry about it, dobe puppies are known for being biters and the sooner you can get it 'nipped' in the bud, the better :)

You can also give him things to chew on like frozen carrots or stuffed kong toys.

Where are you from originally?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, Amelia, especially for the tips on the biting.
I have also tried to play with him outside, with toy, food, running, hopping...until I am exhausted..and he sits there not reacting to anything... how to create this positive experience?

I am mixed (Chinese and American), grew up in China and the U.S, now live here in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You're welcome!

Does he mind wearing the leash inside, does he associate that with good things or does his stress start as soon as the leash is on?

Maybe he's worked himself up so much, by the time he's outside its all too much for him and he's already gone above the high stress threshold. You could try working below the threshold, maybe sitting outside your front door with a long leash on him, and tempting him outside, no forcing him. When he puts his first paw outside, say 'Good boy!' and reward him with a treat. For every movement he steps forward, reward and praise him. Use something he'll really like as a treat like pieces of warm hotdog, cheese ect. You could try rolling a ball around while you sit outside the entrance to the front door?

If hes not even calm with his leash on, maybe put the leash on in the house and just let him drag it around and wear it while he's playing.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Did he get to play outside with his litter? Is it new to him by chance at all? Does he like his meals? If he likes his meals, I might try feeding him outside and sitting with him.

I don't believe most dogs are stubborn so to speak.

For biting, how long have you had him and how many methods have you used? It's best to stick with one method for a while to get results.

Have you heard of clicker training or reward marker training? I would click for any step outside or being outside.

·
Starchild
170 Posts
From what I read, most of the time your pup will come around himself, for the outside part. Harley use to hate it as well, he was afraid of everything (even kids). After showing him how fun outside is he came around, wasn't overnight change but now he harasses me to go outside. My pup is now 14 weeks old from when he was 8 weeks - 11 weeks ohh he was nightmareish in biting and barking. He basically use to chase me down grip my calf and knees with his teeth (ruined a lot of good pairs of shorts!). But he's since stopped through referrals (so NO to this, YES to that). We're basically in the same position, just some weeks ahead of you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Adara,

Since the last post, I have tried various methods to earn some respect from him. It works out just fine. Dex is finally calmed down a little. Now he runs around outside and meets other dogs. Still sometimes he got afraid when paying outside. but in general it is much better. The biting is on going but he bites on me less. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I read, most of the time your pup will come around himself, for the outside part. Harley use to hate it as well, he was afraid of everything (even kids). After showing him how fun outside is he came around, wasn't overnight change but now he harasses me to go outside. My pup is now 14 weeks old from when he was 8 weeks - 11 weeks ohh he was nightmareish in biting and barking. He basically use to chase me down grip my calf and knees with his teeth (ruined a lot of good pairs of shorts!). But he's since stopped through referrals (so NO to this, YES to that). We're basically in the same position, just some weeks ahead of you.
Thanks MaHaRaJah,

It is getting better now. He runs around outside happily although sometimes still feeling afraid. Reading your post makes me feel hopeful. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts