Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a very bad experience and want to warn others. This breeder has a very nice website, and sounded legitimate. We signed a contract, and I sent over a $200 deposit for a $1600 black male pup when he was a week old. I planned to come see him when he was 6 weeks old. But soon after my check was cashed, I received a demand for a "second deposit" for $650 for a veterinarian to do the puppy's ears. This wasn't in our contract - the payment was to be in full upon receipt of the puppy, so of course I refused. The woman demanded money, insisting that she "forgot to put it into the contract but that's what she always puts, so it should be there." I have began a Better Business Bureau and police investigation, since I of course have not received my money back, nor a puppy. For all I know, there are no puppies at all. Do not deal with Anita Clark of Sunnyside Dobermans in NC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are so right

I have been dealing with this woman for the last few weeks and you are right there are so many things wrong with her practices. First I am embaressed to say I know better but did it anyway. I contacted her about a female Dobie she had for sale she was 17 weeks old she also had her 2 sisters plus a brother I believe. She did not want me to come to her place because she was an older woman who lived alone and it wasnt safe for her.. RED FLAG and i told her so. I also informed her I had been working,training and showing german shepherds in German Confirmation and Schutzhund for the last 10 years and needed a dog with some drive etc. Was not looking to compete with this dog just train in personal protection like one of my Shepherds. Also told her i had a Dobie that I had put down last year he was 13.
So anyway she said she would bring the 3 females to my farm to check them out i said fine though thought how is that safer RED FLAG.. Anyway long story short the 3 females would not even look at her at all or respond when she called them they ran away from her RED FLAG everytime she approached then my daughter and I had to help corral them so she could grab them. Then she had to use a micro chip reader to tell them apart RED FLAG. I know what kind of knowledgeable dog person takes one of those puppies?? She begged and swore they were not really like this I should just try for a couple of weeks.It was against my better judgement but I thought maybe with a little human interaction maybe it would get better. So I hand wrote a quick contract stating that I would take this female for 2 weeks and see if she did not act so fearful etc and if not she could come pick her up. I also gave her a $200.00 check to HOLD for security during 2 week trail and put on the check in memo it was for security for 2 week trail.
Anyway after a week i e-mailed to let her know this pup was afraid of everything and that i would keep her for the next week but I did not have high hopes. Then after another week I emailed to let her know there was no improvement and she needed to come back to my farm to get the dog and bring me my check. Since then it has been nothing other than threats to take me to court if I did not met her somewhere else and give her the dog. I have said no we agreed to meet back at the farm where there wil be witnesses. she kept saying i would get my check back after 72 hours of her evaluating the pups condition and temmperment.. What a joke. Anyway she was suppose to get the pup today i told her at the farm i would be there all day she no showed no called nothing so when I got back to my other house and e-mailed her to ask why she did not show she said I did not show and that she had instructed me to meet her at Tractor Supply. I then checked the account the check for $200 had been cashed or deposited 3 days after she gave me the pup.. Yea she waas suppose to hold that.. So now I have the dog she refuses to get it and is threating to sue me. I have been involved with the dog world for over 30 years in one form or another and have seen to many breeders pull crap like this with clients and this is the kind of breeder that gives all the hard working lovers of the breed a bad name. The problem in my opinion with this pup is that she never had any human interaction that is why she is afraid of everything. She is a smart girl and has done great with me but is afraid of everyone and everything else it is sad. Oh and my favorite part of this was when I told her that the pup would not work and she needed to take her back like we agreed she said "I am sorry the pup did not Like/feel comfortable in your house. This woman is unbelievable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been to this person's home, met her and several of her dogs. She is pretty much a BYB and while I dont doubt she loves the dogs, she is not breeding anything that I would recommend to anyone other than a beloved pet. She can be a little quirky for sure. She is only about 20min from me.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
30 years in the dog world and this is the breeder you chose to deal with?
Is that really necessary? Im sorry, but rudeness because someone makes a mistake is really elementary. We are human, we make mistakes. Downing someone because of their decision does not change anything..Especially when you could be giving useful information:) No spite intended, just tired of seeing people jumped on.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Is that really necessary? Im sorry, but rudeness because someone makes a mistake is really elementary. We are human, we make mistakes. Downing someone because of their decision does not change anything..Especially when you could be giving useful information:) No spite intended, just tired of seeing people jumped on.
And this is what results in people's "mistakes"

I think this is very useful information and hopefully people will start understanding the FACTS that their "mistakes" result in and they will make the necessary changes regarding their future decisions of where they get their next pet from.

Every Doberman rescue that I know of is full at this time and there are MANY MORE in need of rescue. Breeders like Sunnyside Dobermans and the people who choose to purchase a dog from them are part of the problem and not the solution.

·
Registered
437 Posts
And this is what results in people's "mistakes"

I think this is very useful information and hopefully people will start understanding the FACTS that their "mistakes" result in and they will make the necessary changes regarding their future decisions of where they get their next pet from.

Every Doberman rescue that I know of is full at this time and there are MANY MORE in need of rescue. Breeders like Sunnyside Dobermans and the people who choose to purchase a dog from them are part of the problem and not the solution.
Yep, and the bashing does nothing to help! Every rescue everywhere is full. Thats never going to change. And calling someone out cause they made a mistake is kind of petty. Everyone makes mistakes. Who says that that dog diddnt find another crappy home or puppy mill and then it made 100's of more dogs? I think this person did what they thought was best. In the end Im sure its being taken care of better than it would have. This is why people leave the board becasue instead of people helping them they decide to tell them how stupid they are then they leave, have no idea what to do next with the dog. Bashing solves nothing.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Yep, and the bashing does nothing to help! Every rescue everywhere is full. Thats never going to change. And calling someone out cause they made a mistake is kind of petty. Everyone makes mistakes. Who says that that dog diddnt find another crappy home or puppy mill and then it made 100's of more dogs? I think this person did what they thought was best. In the end Im sure its being taken care of better than it would have. This is why people leave the board becasue instead of people helping them they decide to tell them how stupid they are then they leave, have no idea what to do next with the dog. Bashing solves nothing.
First of all, I don't see how MaryandDobes comment could be called "bashing".

As to your comment that I bolded, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Everytime someone makes excuses for the decisions that one makes, and makes them think that what they did was OK because they did what they thought was best, like you just did, you add to the problem and aren't doing one damn thing to change it.

I'll agree that bashing solves nothing, but educating does. The problem is that people have to choose to LISTEN.

·
Registered
437 Posts
First of all, I don't see how MaryandDobes comment could be called "bashing".

As to your comment that I bolded, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Everytime someone makes excuses for the decisions that one makes, and makes them think that what they did was OK because they did what they thought was best, like you just did, you add to the problem and aren't doing one damn thing to change it.

I'll agree that bashing solves nothing, but educating does. The problem is that people have to choose to LISTEN.
Yes. But telling someone oh you have 30 years of experience and you picked them...thats like calling them stupid. and its petty. Those dogs may very end up like the statistic you posted and in this case I think a home is better than being in a shelter waiting to die! I am active in my shelter, I have been for many years! I do do my part. It could be a lot worse of circumstances. And without people making these mistakes they cannot share their experiences with others to avoid!
Calling out people who knowingly breed mutts or throw any dogs together is the people that should be called idiots. After all the OP may have very well saved the life of that one dog in her wrong decision.

Been in a similer circumstance(not with a dobie) and its horrible, would never do it again but in the end him being with me is better than being underfed, covered in pee/poop and being locked in a garage. IMHO
Sometimes we don't get to choose the future, the future chooses for us:)

·
Topdog
24 Posts
Since you are all doberman people you know that the deposit on a $1600 pup is 50%. This covers the cost of cropping the ears. I accepted a partial payment of $200, when the pup was getting old enough to get his ears cropped I requested the balance of the deposit. I even suggested that she could pay the vet directly for the ear crop, she refused. After she refused I sent her this e-mail.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM, anita clark

When I sell a puppy it is more then a one time transaction. It is a relationship that last the lifetime of the dog. I can see in this case that it is going to be impossible to have that kind of relationship and would be more the happy to cancel your contract. I will be returning your deposit as a good faith jesture as deposits are not refundable.

I hope you find a breeder and dog you can be happy with.

Anita Clark
She signed a contract that in bold letters stated deposits,ear crops and registration fees non-refundable. Since this time I have been threatened, harrassed. I have had the police called on me. If she feels she has a legitimate complaint she can take me to court.

As for the rest of you who want to talk bad about me. How many of you DNA health test your dogs. All of my Breeding dogs are fully tested, conformation, temperment and health. Just this year alone I have had 14 Vwd test done, 12 DCM, 1 Holter monitor, 2 CERF, 1 RD (Renal Dysplasia) and many CBC and thyroid/liver panels done. None of which have come back affected. I own a Holter monitor and none of my dogs are affected nor will they produce affecteds. My pups are sold on limited registration with non breeding pet clause and a return clause. If this makes me a bad breeder then I don't know what else I can do.
I am proud of my dogs. check it out for yourself 4/9/12, Arrowhead KC,Glendale AZ,BBE
Chance was 10 months old the dog he beat was 2yrs old, pointed Grd CH sired CH Dam. When You can take a dog that you have bred into the ring that is Vwd Clear, DCM Neg. eyes CERF, and win then you can talk bad about me.

Enough said

1 - 20 of 123 Posts