Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Spock At His Prime - Age 5 y/o

Sunking's Spock (at age 10 in this pic)

Our beloved 10-1/2 y/o Doberboy, Spock was PTS this morning at his vet's office, after completing his Doberman duties. He was a loyal and Velcro Dobe to the very end. In his mind, he was still a young 2 y/o puppy, and still acted like one, up until these last 24 days.

He didn't give up the fight, we made the decision for him, to ease his current and forthcoming pain. Will update his DCM thread at a later date with more details that might help others experiencing this affliction.

Our challenge now is to replace the last many days of sorrow with the previous decade of joyful memories...

Spock Always on Duty

Spock as Puppy, Juvenile & Senior

Our Protector, Helper and Companion.

Loyal, But Needy, More Than Any Other Dogs We've Had
(this pic captures this perfectly)

Spock never met a human he didn't like, when he was introduced to them and they loved him back. (He just didn't get along with squirrels).

That's why he was a Pet Partner's Therapy Dog for last 2-years of his life, after his dad retired.

Spock On Therapy Dog Read-With-Me Visit

Like a Puppy His Whole Life, Right Through When Affliction Hit in August

Time to Pass the Dobe Torch Onto His Sister, Eva

Sleep Softly, Spock, You're Now Free From Affliction

Note- I'll put together a YouTube video clip/photo montage at a later date. We have lots of pics and videos of our boy, which should be consolidated and shared.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Spocksdad ~ I am in tears for you right now. You shared Spock with us all these years and he belonged to us, too. What a beautiful boy and he gave so much. I am so sorry.

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
I'm so sorry. Spock was a favorite of mine, and I always enjoyed hearing about his doings and seeing your pictures.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,518 Posts
SD,

I'm very sorry for your loss. RIP, Spock.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Run free our precious prince!
You did a great job and we are forever in your debt!
Thanks for all your stories and great times you have given to us.
And thanks for helping our children to enjoy reading.
Now go boy and Never forget how much we will continue to love you!:x:x
We got your humans ......no worries ....now go and run my friend.
One million pokes. :crying::crying::crying::crying:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
I am so so sorry, SD. I know decisions like this are difficult—very tough on us, but so much kinder for the dog, .

Spock was such a lovely lovely boy—so good at his work as a Read With Me therapy dog, and SO photogenic. I always loved that butt shot he had on our calendar once. :grin2:

Dobermantalk Calendar Mr. March, 2016 Dober Butt "Spock on Squirrel Watch"

And all of those videos of Eva putting him in his place (boys just can't win.)

Run free, Spock! There's always more squirrels just waiting to be caught!

·
ZuriBug
184 Posts
I wish there were words that would make it better....I know by your posts that he had an amazing, duty filled, exciting life. What a blessing he was to you and your family. You will be reunited. Stay encouraged.

We will say a prayer for your healing.

·
joie de vivre
11,197 Posts
I'm so sorry. Spock was such a sweet, special, and handsome boy. I'll miss reading about him and seeing his photos on the forum.

·
sweep the leg
1,010 Posts
This one hurts. I am so sorry for you, your wife, Eva and your whole family. He was such a special boy. I admired his pictures, he was so handsome. And he was incredibly lucky to be yours! You gave him an amazing life full of adventures, and purpose, and no doubt he helped all who met him develop a love for Dobermans. I shed tears with this news as it hits so close to home and the thought of losing a dober-love is so especially painful.

10 years was so much and yet not nearly enough. My heart breaks in solidarity. I am so sorry. :crying:

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)
Fellow DT members, a grateful thanks for all the condolences offered! :2smile:

This was a huge challenge point in my life, faced with taking my best buddy in for his own demise. Although for his own good, I still felt that I let him down, somehow.

Spock was a very special Doberman, for sure, bonded to me as no other dog, or for that matter, any human friend I've ever had, other than my spouse.

Today, he was brave & obedient to the end. Did what his dad asked of him, without a whimper, whine or fidget. He passed very peacefully and calmly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My only regret is not finishing up the school year with his therapy dog Read-With-Me visits. I just downloaded his final visit log and notified Pet Partners of his death.

In his short 2.0 year, Pet Partner's Therapy Dog career, Spock made (82) visits with (110) hours and interacted with (2703) persons! He would have made more visits if the Pandemic hadn't shut everything down earlier this year.

Spock and Eva have a dedicated Reading Buddy thread here:

https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/304305-new-doberman-reading-buddy.html

Spock and Dad Sign Out at Local ES Front Desk
(Office Asst. Donna retiring & wanted photo with her buddy, Spock)

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Ohhh dear. You started my day with tears and now I am ending my day with tears. I think when you share something like this that others, you, me have faced it brings it fresh to memory, and the pain surfaces again.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts