Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Extraordimary
5,136 Posts
Spaying/neutering is the first rule in rescue. Any dog you foster should be spayed/neutered before placement. Otherwise, you're really not helping the problem of unwanted dogs and possibly contributing to the cycle.

·
Extraordimary
5,136 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Awesome news! Great job!
Call me skeptical, but is it? In less than 24 hours, I have to wonder how well this new home was checked out. Was there a home check? Vet reference check? Any other references checked? Or just hey, this person saw the ad on dobermantalk so they must be good? I'm sorry, but rescuers have to be more thorough than "I might get her spayed" and placements in less than 24 hours. The dogs deserve it.

·
Extraordimary
5,136 Posts
Codysmom said:
MaryandDobes:
at the rescue I got pollo from DAR&E, you can't even go visit a dog until you have filled out the application, had a home visit/interview/inspection, had a vet reference and personal references check. so we were all approved when we went to meet Pollo. we brought him home that day. It also takes the burden off the foster family. tho the foster family can put the kibosh on an adoption if they get a bad feeling at the visit.

that may also be the case with this rescue group.

cc
I don't think so.

What you described is rather typical for a responsible rescue organization. You nailed all the things that a responsible rescue does in placing a dog carefully, and I'm quite sure Pollo was neutered too, right?

Well, on April 7, frznbuns posted that they were adopting Summer themselves, but then stated that if it didn't work out for some reason, they'd foster until they found another home.

By April 10, 9 am, Summer is looking for a new home and being advertised as intact. A huge no-no when it comes to rescue.

Less than 24 hours after that, a new home is found and the foster person is only *thinking* about spaying Summer.

I'm stating the obvious. That is not the way that responsible rescue people operate.

·
Extraordimary
5,136 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
Personally I think you are being a little rude about this. I know you are very passionate about rescue and that's great. But this person took this dog in not as a organization but as a individual. Maybe Frazbuns has talked to this person and will make sure the dog will not be left intact. My point is you should not be so harsh with someone who is doing a good thing...you don't know all the circumstances.
I realize you are just protecting the dog from future problems but in my opinion I think Frazbuns will make sure the dog will have a good and responsible home.
The problem is that too many people have their rose-coloured glasses on and want to believe everything will be fine and want to believe people will do the right thing. Step into a rescue role and you'll soon see that this is rarely true, and the reason why I'm trying to drive home the point that if we take responsibility for "rescuing" a dog, we better make sure we do a complete job. Talking to someone about altering the dog doesn't ensure it is done.

I don't know all the circumstances? Neither do you. We have no reason, NO REASON, to believe that everything is peachy just because it's a fellow person that we talk to here on dobermantalk. In case you've forgotten, we've got albino breeders here for one thing - just because people find their way here doesn't automatically make them great Doberman people that are doing the right thing for the breed or for the individual dogs for that matter.

Once again, I find myself trying to be educational. Trying to let people know how responsible rescue people operate, in this particular case. Once again, I get illustrated as the rude one and it's perfectly fine for someone else to be advertising intact rescue dogs. Once again, I find people here resistant to education. You find me rude? Well, what are you doing for this dog? What are you doing to try to educate in this situation? Personally, I find it rude that you felt it necessary to criticize me when I'm trying to help the dog.

·
Extraordimary
5,136 Posts
Frznbuns, and many more people here -- you need to stop making everything about you and consider that this is about the situation and the dogs.

You've brought a whole lot of other stuff into this that doesn't belong. The fact that I have recently had a ton of vet bills on my own dogs has nothing to do with what I do when it comes to rescue. It's separate and it has no bearing.

If one is going to take on fostering and adopting Dobermans out to the public, it should be done in a responsible way, and I'm sorry but adopting them out intact is irresponsible. I'm sure you're a very nice person - this is not an attack on you. It is a comment on something you've done.

Another question on this situation -- was the breeder of the dog ever contacted??? While I realize that many breeders could care less what happens to their dogs after purchase, was there an attempt to find out if this is the case? That is usually the first thing a rescue person does, and while I realize you may not consider yourself a rescue person, you thrust yourself into the role and now it would be a good thing for you to learn how rescue operates, especially since you are loudly criticizing the existing rescue in your area. If you intend to pick up any of their slack, it would be a good idea for you to learn how to deal with rescue situations. You may not like me and I don't really care, but 2 important things are to contact the breeder and to spay/neuter any dogs you "rescue" regardless of whether they would be "good to show" or not.

Now, for criticizing the existing rescue in your area -- have you offered to help them in any way? I'm not saying all rescues are above reproach by any means. The fact that they didn't call back is pretty dismal. However, there may also be good reason. I can certainly speak to the fact that rescue is inundated with calls, every day, every week, every month and yes, sometimes it takes some time to get back to everyone. Keep in mind that rescue is volunteer work. They're not at your beck and call. And rescue does get pretty sick of people who "rescue" a dog and then expect rescue to take it, which is what you did. As a rescue person, I have people calling me to tell me that there is a dog in the pound here, there and everywhere. Sometimes I can help, sometimes I can't. That's life. I want to help, but realistically, sometimes I can't and sometimes the rescue near you can't whether you like it or not. It really does boil down to if you don't like the way rescue in your area is working, either do it yourself, offer to help and make it better or get over it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.