Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, as you all know I am fostering a Doberman right now.
Summer is a intact female, Black and tan, AKC Registered, 19months, cropped ears(standing straight up- medium cut) docked tail.She is about 65lbs and I just had her microchipped Saturday.
She is sweet as she can be and has settled into your family of 4 dogs and 2 cat quite nicely. She is very attached to me right now and want to be with me 24/7. I will be call the vet today about seeing if her shots are up to date or not.
She would make a wonderful compainion for a lifetime. I am in St. Joseph MO which is across the state West of St. Louis. If you know of anyone who would like to have her, Please let me know ASAP!!!
Thank you!!!!

·
Extraordimary
4,966 Posts
I hope you intend to spay her before placing her. Advertising an intact bitch on a public forum is a real recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I will definately be asking my parents! but I doubt they will say yes. :(
however, I am located in Illinois (see the member map) if you need help driving her anywhere.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If i had room for her in my truck i would swing by and get her on my way threw to Ny to visit!.. but as is i have 3 dogs im gonna be traveling with and my daughter so there wouldnt be any room :(, Now if i had lived closer i would come get her in a heart beat!
are you going to post any pictures of her?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Summer is going to a new Home. Mariposa692001"s brother is adopting her. Yeah!!
Thank you all!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awesome! is he planning on getting her spayed? He better become a part of the forum!!! so we can keep in touch all the time:)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am going to spay her before she leaves here but we are trying to work out the time frame first..

·
Extraordimary
4,966 Posts
Spaying/neutering is the first rule in rescue. Any dog you foster should be spayed/neutered before placement. Otherwise, you're really not helping the problem of unwanted dogs and possibly contributing to the cycle.

·
Extraordimary
4,966 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Awesome news! Great job!
Call me skeptical, but is it? In less than 24 hours, I have to wonder how well this new home was checked out. Was there a home check? Vet reference check? Any other references checked? Or just hey, this person saw the ad on dobermantalk so they must be good? I'm sorry, but rescuers have to be more thorough than "I might get her spayed" and placements in less than 24 hours. The dogs deserve it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
MaryandDobes:
at the rescue I got pollo from DAR&E, you can't even go visit a dog until you have filled out the application, had a home visit/interview/inspection, had a vet reference and personal references check. so we were all approved when we went to meet Pollo. we brought him home that day. It also takes the burden off the foster family. tho the foster family can put the kibosh on an adoption if they get a bad feeling at the visit.

that may also be the case with this rescue group.

cc

·
Extraordimary
4,966 Posts
Codysmom said:
MaryandDobes:
at the rescue I got pollo from DAR&E, you can't even go visit a dog until you have filled out the application, had a home visit/interview/inspection, had a vet reference and personal references check. so we were all approved when we went to meet Pollo. we brought him home that day. It also takes the burden off the foster family. tho the foster family can put the kibosh on an adoption if they get a bad feeling at the visit.

that may also be the case with this rescue group.

cc
I don't think so.

What you described is rather typical for a responsible rescue organization. You nailed all the things that a responsible rescue does in placing a dog carefully, and I'm quite sure Pollo was neutered too, right?

Well, on April 7, frznbuns posted that they were adopting Summer themselves, but then stated that if it didn't work out for some reason, they'd foster until they found another home.

By April 10, 9 am, Summer is looking for a new home and being advertised as intact. A huge no-no when it comes to rescue.

Less than 24 hours after that, a new home is found and the foster person is only *thinking* about spaying Summer.

I'm stating the obvious. That is not the way that responsible rescue people operate.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
I don't think so.

What you described is rather typical for a responsible rescue organization. You nailed all the things that a responsible rescue does in placing a dog carefully, and I'm quite sure Pollo was neutered too, right?

Well, on April 7, frznbuns posted that they were adopting Summer themselves, but then stated that if it didn't work out for some reason, they'd foster until they found another home.

By April 10, 9 am, Summer is looking for a new home and being advertised as intact. A huge no-no when it comes to rescue.

Less than 24 hours after that, a new home is found and the foster person is only *thinking* about spaying Summer.

I'm stating the obvious. That is not the way that responsible rescue people operate.

Personally I think you are being a little rude about this. I know you are very passionate about rescue and that's great. But this person took this dog in not as a organization but as a individual. Maybe Frazbuns has talked to this person and will make sure the dog will not be left intact. My point is you should not be so harsh with someone who is doing a good thing...you don't know all the circumstances.
I realize you are just protecting the dog from future problems but in my opinion I think Frazbuns will make sure the dog will have a good and responsible home.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
In fairness to frznbns, it does appear that she has some sort of a relationship with the family who has adopted Summer. She said that mariposa's brother is taking (has taken) her and if I'm not mistaken Mariposa owns a pup produced by Frznbns.
I am with Mary though that any responsible rescue "organization" should completely screen prospective owners and at a minimum have animals altered before being put up for adoption. I also feel that individuals who aren't affiliated with organized rescue groups should spay or neuter animals they are just trying to help out. This conversation has made me think of one that I had with the kennel director here on island. She gets so miffed when people bring in strays that they've "rescued" - her definition of "rescue" is not to take it out of one persons back yard and bring it to the stray facility, "rescue" is committing yourself, time and money into providing the animal with the best possible opportunity for a long life in a permanent home -to include vet work, training and socialization.
That said, I realize that some people truly try to help (and do) but just don't have the time or the funds to complete the job - still the animal is better off having met them than not.
I am happy that Summer is in a new home where she is wanted, loved and not a burden (things that she didn't seem to have pre-frzbns intervention) and am very hopeful that she will be spayed.

·
Extraordimary
4,966 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
Personally I think you are being a little rude about this. I know you are very passionate about rescue and that's great. But this person took this dog in not as a organization but as a individual. Maybe Frazbuns has talked to this person and will make sure the dog will not be left intact. My point is you should not be so harsh with someone who is doing a good thing...you don't know all the circumstances.
I realize you are just protecting the dog from future problems but in my opinion I think Frazbuns will make sure the dog will have a good and responsible home.
The problem is that too many people have their rose-coloured glasses on and want to believe everything will be fine and want to believe people will do the right thing. Step into a rescue role and you'll soon see that this is rarely true, and the reason why I'm trying to drive home the point that if we take responsibility for "rescuing" a dog, we better make sure we do a complete job. Talking to someone about altering the dog doesn't ensure it is done.

I don't know all the circumstances? Neither do you. We have no reason, NO REASON, to believe that everything is peachy just because it's a fellow person that we talk to here on dobermantalk. In case you've forgotten, we've got albino breeders here for one thing - just because people find their way here doesn't automatically make them great Doberman people that are doing the right thing for the breed or for the individual dogs for that matter.

Once again, I find myself trying to be educational. Trying to let people know how responsible rescue people operate, in this particular case. Once again, I get illustrated as the rude one and it's perfectly fine for someone else to be advertising intact rescue dogs. Once again, I find people here resistant to education. You find me rude? Well, what are you doing for this dog? What are you doing to try to educate in this situation? Personally, I find it rude that you felt it necessary to criticize me when I'm trying to help the dog.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
I think that MaryandDobes presented information and asked the questions that should be asked. I didnt find her to be rude, I did find her to be direct and to the point as well as pointing out the good and the bad about the situation.

As she says not everyone that stumbles across or registers here at Dobermantalk are ethical and doing the "right" things. I think asking questions and checking things out is the right thing to do regardless who the member may be. Now I know frznbuns is good people and I am sure will be able to respond or reply to put our minds at ease but I do not see any trouble with asking the questions.

Thanks Mary

TD

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I stand by what I said. I will not say another word except to say I hope Summer has found her forever home. And that she will not be left intact.

·
Registered
694 Posts
WOW....such harshness here....lol, I am going to take it all with a grain of salt. Summer has gone with my brother. He picked her up today. I can guarantee you all that she will have an awesome home with lots of love and attention. We grew up with a doberman named Engalos Image(or something like that, I was a kid) but we just always called her dobie. She left wonderful memories for us. My brother Jason watches Sabot when I go out of town and Sabot is crazy about him. He has had a dog all his life and will spoil her like crazy. I will be seeing Summer this weekend as I am going home for Easter. I can't wait for Sabot and Summer to be able to play. And so everyone can rest...I believe his intentions are to get her spayed and if I find out not then I will explain that when or if the time comes.

As far as frznbuns, I would not call her a rescue organization. I think she just did what she thought was best at the time. I have had Sabot for a year now and Frznbuns has been absolutely wonderful as a breeder in that I can go to her and ask questions and get advise. I hope this puts everyone's mind at ease...I am a little leary about posting because there are so many strong opinions here. But I wanted to let everyone know that Summer has a GREAT home.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
please have your brother become a member here at dobermantalk! we would love to keep in touch with her and her new family

1 - 20 of 40 Posts