Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I am currently looking for 2 Doberman Pinschers (male and female) and a friend pointed out to me that it is may be too hot for a Doberman in Egypt our temperature ranges form 30-38 degrees Celsius which is 86 - 100 Fahrenheit in the summer period, in the winter is 15 - 22 degrees Celsius which is 59 - 68 in the winter ( these temperatures are for the day not the night) ... the problem is i have a big yard and I am building a house for the dobies because I cant let them live inside my house so should I get a Doberman or not .... thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Just based on the fact that they cannot live in your house, I would not get a Doberman. These dogs want to be with their people 24/7 and being an indoor dog is really pretty much a must for them. While you may be able to keep them outside, they most likely would not do that well.

Reactions: thea2003 and KEstep

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
if the doberman can't live with you in the house, then you shouldn't get one.Dobermans are very atatched to their family and want be with them all the time.they are doing good, to be left alone without their family.its getting here hot to in CA, same temeprature like in Egypt, but my dogs are inside with me all the time, so they can stay cool.if you can't have your dogs inside, rething the idea of getting a doberman.Why they can't live with you inside anyway? just curious.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
if they cannot live inside with you, then absolutely not.

I'm also curious about wanting a male and female... not to breed i hope

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
another no vote, if they aren't in the house, you shouldn't have them. Why do you want a dog that is going to live outside? The temperatures in Egypt can be extreme, the sun is tough on their coats too. I've been to Egypt and would not want to see a dobe living there unless they were a house dog, as I know the homes are built to keep out the heat. why not look at a dog that is native to your climate like a saluki? or a canaan dog?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quoting the book (Doberman pinschers: everything about purchase, care, nutrition, .. ) by Raymond Gudas, Michele Earle-Bridges. " Your Dog's Home lf you live in a house with a yard, you have the option of letting your dog live outside — that is, in a doghouse. Most Dobermans adapt quite well to such a lifestyle".

I have a big yard with a high fence. and I am currently working on the design of the doghouse, if you would like to specify anything about the doghouse i would grateful. thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
What's the point of buying dogs to only have them live outside?

I agree with everything else that's already been said. Dogs deserve to live most of their lives indoors with their families, not in their backyard.

·
Banned
3,099 Posts
I say no as well and we have temps just like yours in the summer and freezing in the winter. If you want an outdoor animal get a goat. I dont get why anyone wants a dog that has to stay outside. She only stays outside weather permiting and if I am not home. Otherwise she is in the house. She maybe spends 3 or 4 hours outside and somedays only a handful of minutes.

Though it seems you are choosing the information you want to hear and will probably get one anyway. The person who wrote that book never owned a doberman it sounds like. You cant believe everything you read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to build him a big room with a roof and everything it could fit a grown man so they can stay there and it will have a dog door so they have access to the yard ... I am just going to leave them 4 hours in the morning when I go to college then I am with them the entire day.

the reason they cant live in the house is that my mother is absolutely terrified from the idea of getting a dog in the house. She is not really a dog person, but the rest of my family is really excited about it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
ok then maybe change the mothers mind about getting a dog. dobermans are family dog,they do not well being left outside ont heir own.if you would build a doghouse,you get them A/C and a heater too???
why you want them in the first place,there are other breeds,what might fit your lifestyle better, then a dobe. you really should make much more research about the breed and like Kp asked you,why female and male??my dogs are inside dogs,they only go outide when the have to do their business, but always are inside with the family and i can' timagine to leave my dogs outside at 40- 45 dgerees celcious, thats cruel

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Doberman only have a single coat and not a double coat like most breeds. They do not do well in extreme heat or cold as their coat does not protect them from the elements, heat and cold.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your Doberman(s) will simply sit at your back door and wimper or bark until you let them in the house. They won't care at all that you built them their own mansion in the backyard. They will want to be with their family. They will worry about your safety and well being when they are outside away from you. That is who they are and what they do, and that is why we all here on this forum absolutely love them!

I think you may be able to get a doberman, if you resolve the issue with your family first. You will need to do a lot of training with your new dog, so it learns how to behave in the house. Dobermans are so very smart, and want to please their owners.( This is good news for you) If you work with them, and love them, they will amaze you. If you leave them in the backyard, I am afraid they will cause you and your family a great deal of frustration, anger, and sadness.

On a nice day Sadie may chill out in the backyard, or if I give her something really slow and yummy, but usually she is right back at the door watching and waiting to be let back in the house. We do keep her in her kennel at night or when we are away from home. We also use a child gate at the bottom of the stairs so she can't harass our old cat. This may be a good solution for you as well. Maybe you could keep the dog in one area of the house. Good luck, but please take your time and seriously consider all of the advice you get on this forum. It all comes from a place of great love for this remarkable breed.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
dobes were intended to be with the family and that is what they want, they are often referred to as "velcro" dogs, they stick to you, mine are in what ever room I'm in. They don't really like the basement, but that's where I am now and all 4 of them are in the same room as me. They love to sleep in bed with me, love going for car rides, and my friends all know if they visit to expect a dobe up against them b/c the dobes will be where ever we are. My boy is the worse for whining if he decides he has been in the yard long enough and wants time with mom. My oldest can call "momma" when she wants me, this can get embarassing! so, it's great that your family is excited about getting dogs, but really go for a different breed. Look at those dogs that are native to a desert climate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dogs are not like cats, they are not solitary creatures. They are pack animals! They cannot survive without their pack. I can't think of a single breed of dog that could. Maybe you should consider someone else's suggestion - goat!

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
shabrawy - can you wait until you have a place of your own? Or do you plan on staying in that house with your parents after college?

regarding the dog house - I'm not sure how you cool people houses in Egyptian summers - do you use liquid evaporative coolers, or good ole electric A/C? - but imagine a doghouse outside in the summer - what temperature would it reach inside? At least what it is outside - so that alone is too hot for the dog. This is proved all over the world when people leave dogs in locked cars on hot days and the dogs die. And dobermans are not very heat tolerant or cold tolerant - they will want the same comfort as the humans in extreme weather.

I recommend not getting the dobermans unless you have some real fancy plans for the doghouse with power, plumbing, cooling/heating and all that.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Also if the dog is not gonna be spending a lot of time with you it can develop a serious case of separation anxiety and other serious problems. Dogs could also suffer from a heat stroke in the summer and what not...

Best bet is wait until you are ready to have the dog inside all the times with supervision.

Trust me, I know what problems arise from keeping your dog outside. Most people here do keep their dogs outside and have issues (including mine but she started living inside in her last few months ...).

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts