Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A wee bit of background, this is my husband's son who is now 16. At 12, he lost his mother to suicide and sadly we'd been fighting CPS for a long time to get them away from her. His son was the one who found her and he felt horribly guilty. They lived in another state and the first time anyone saw him smile was when Flirt climbed in his lap to hang out when he came to visit. While he was with us, you could hear him tell her stories about his mom but he wouldn't talk to anyone else.

4 years later he and Flirt are still best buddies even though she doesn't see him often. She goes BALLISTIC when he comes to visit. She only smiles for Dh and myself and 1 other friend AND this son.

Flirt does not "swim swim" out far in the river...or didn't anyway until this..

STICK STICK get him he has the stick!

1 Vizsla says to the other - OMG is FLIRT Swimming!

2nd Vizsla says oh crap stay far away, she'll take you down she IS swimming

Havoc working on his sneak attack

MINE MINE

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Great pics!

That story brought tears to my eyes. That's a lot, to put it lightly, for a kid to go through. I'm glad he and Flirt have a special bond. I'm sure it does wonders for his heart.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Bless your son and bless Flirt. I think dogs know when they are needed the most and Flirt rose to the occasion.

For myself personally I've always felt owning a horse and a dog were as good as having a psychiatrist.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Wow, what a story. Brought tears to my eyes too. So glad they are able to spend special time together. And I hope your step-son continues to heal.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Wow...such a touching story, got me all misty too!

And omg these dobes are HILARIOUS in the water. Your commentary had me rolling too...thank you for that.

·
Maximus Odin Aurelius
549 Posts
There is no better psychologist than a dog. They KNOW when you just need to talk and they just listen. They lick away your tears and just lay on you and let you know that you are not alone.

Way to go Flirt!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Dogs are the best therapy a human can find....thank you for sharing the story and for the pics. My brother in law just lost his uncle to suicide and I know it is a tragic thing for the family to walk through. I am glad your son found happiness through Flirt though. They look very happy :)

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Sometimes a pet is the only one you can talk to. I'm so glad he has such a bond with Flirt. Great pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts