Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are pics of my Dobe Roxy playing with her Weim cousin Henry.
Roxy is friendly with all dogs, but as soon as they get together it is like crazy chemistry and this explosion of excited play ensues. They don't growl or yelp, or make noise at all, and they both keep coming back for more, wagging tails etc.
My question: we are planning to babysit Henry this weekend at our place. WILL THEY EVER CALM DOWN?!
I would love some suggestions from people with multiple, high-energy dogs...please!!!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
looks like they really like each other. :)

let em play.

as said............they will tire each other out.

over the years i have had a couple of dogs who just loved to play hard and rough, they never hurt each other or got mad, they just loved to play, play, play!!!!

Hugz to Roxy!

·
Registered
337 Posts
You can give them something to focus on, such as playing with a Frisbee or giving them a chew bone.

My sister's dog and my dog have ALWAYS been like this. Age didn't really calm this play down for them. They were just always really good buddies. We did find out though, when they were in the back of the car together or in a kennel together, they stopped playing and would settle down.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Every time I let my three outside--oh the gnashing of teeth, screaming, jumping and colliding in mid air, racing, rolling, etc., that ensues scares most people. I agree, as long as they aren't bristled and serious, let em play. Hopefully they will wear themselves out.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I let mine go relatively crazy and just keep an eye on things to keep it from escalating. They're allowed to knock the crap out of each other as long as it's clear they're both willing participants and having fun. But I will step in and enforce a time out if someone needs it and the other is still trying to be a lunatic.

There are also certain 'moves' I don't allow. No biting each other's legs - like herding - when one is trying to walk away, no biting down and hanging off each other's skin or tugging on it, no full on mounting each other (a paw over the back is fine, but absolutely under no circumstances do I allow them to mount each other), no pinning each other to the ground (they can roll around but the second one of them tries to pin the other, they're called off)...basically I stop any sort of rough play that has real potential to start a fight either by trying to dominate one another, or potentially really hurt one another causing someone to lose their cool.

I also watch general body language closely to monitor how they're both feeling about the play so I can put a full stop to it if I need to. And I stay within 5-10' of them while they're wrestling really hard (mind your knees and shins! LOL) so I can enforce things like not pinning each other and no hanging from each other's skin. Plus, if I were to miss something and need to pull them off each other, I want to be close, not 100' away. Damage can be done in the blink of an eye.

I tend to be vigilant and cautious with how rough I let my girls play because they've had a couple arguements and it's not fun when they cross that point from really rough play into throwing down the gauntlet with each other.

It was fine when Fiona was younger but as she's matured both her response to rough play and her style of rough play evolved. She started pushing a bit with her actions and responding differently to other dogs. It seemed like a subtle shift in her behavior but even subtle changes can have a big effect between dogs. So I created firm guidelines and rules for their play for everyone's safety. They're both respectful of the rules and it helps keep everyone on friendly, happy, playful terms rather than allowing them to tempt a fight.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Mine still do that, they are 9, 5 and 3!! The only thing that is driving me crazy is Flirt's high pitched SCREAM because it can set other dogs off. So we are slowly (ah very slowly) working on controlling her SCREAMING. As long as dogs and people are ok with it, I am ok with most types of play.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
Mine are nine and three and play very rough and can get really vocal. They both love it. The nine year old gets worn out more quickly than the three year old, but I let them play and wrestle as much as they want. They are best friends and respectful of each other. I've never had a play session turn to fighting with them. I do have some "ground rules," much like brw1982, but mine are more about play in the house. I do allow wrestling inside, because Simon loves to wrestle and when they are playing outside Shanoa mostly wants to play chase. So that way they both get what they want out of playtime.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I let mine go relatively crazy and just keep an eye on things to keep it from escalating. They're allowed to knock the crap out of each other as long as it's clear they're both willing participants and having fun. But I will step in and enforce a time out if someone needs it and the other is still trying to be a lunatic.

There are also certain 'moves' I don't allow. No biting each other's legs - like herding - when one is trying to walk away, no biting down and hanging off each other's skin or tugging on it, no full on mounting each other (a paw over the back is fine, but absolutely under no circumstances do I allow them to mount each other), no pinning each other to the ground (they can roll around but the second one of them tries to pin the other, they're called off)...basically I stop any sort of rough play that has real potential to start a fight either by trying to dominate one another, or potentially really hurt one another causing someone to lose their cool.

I also watch general body language closely to monitor how they're both feeling about the play so I can put a full stop to it if I need to. And I stay within 5-10' of them while they're wrestling really hard (mind your knees and shins! LOL) so I can enforce things like not pinning each other and no hanging from each other's skin. Plus, if I were to miss something and need to pull them off each other, I want to be close, not 100' away. Damage can be done in the blink of an eye.

I tend to be vigilant and cautious with how rough I let my girls play because they've had a couple arguements and it's not fun when they cross that point from really rough play into throwing down the gauntlet with each other.

It was fine when Fiona was younger but as she's matured both her response to rough play and her style of rough play evolved. She started pushing a bit with her actions and responding differently to other dogs. It seemed like a subtle shift in her behavior but even subtle changes can have a big effect between dogs. So I created firm guidelines and rules for their play for everyone's safety. They're both respectful of the rules and it helps keep everyone on friendly, happy, playful terms rather than allowing them to tempt a fight.
Thank-you for the input...I have noticed that Roxy will pin Henry down for a split second with her mouth on his throat. We do step in when she seems dominating...and then Henry is right back at her for more!
He has gained some weight since the pic was taken, so maybe she won't be able to push him around as much this time.:boxing8:
I will be sure to stay close and be vigilant!
Thanks again everyone! I love DT!

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
My two play hard and fast, and I generally let them rip. However, I sure would get those collars off of them when play is going on, as that is really asking for a horrific accident, if one gets teeth or underjaw... caught in a collar. Broken jaw, teeth or worse! If you need to leave collars on then get a pair of the safety break-a-way collars.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
Good point, Robin! Mine play naked, too.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Backing up a little my two are a male and female, with pretty equal temperament, energy level and drive, plus they really love each other, with neither inclined to be a bully. It would be more likely that something could escalate between two of the same sex, especially two males and while less likely but still possible two females.

Under NO circumstance would I ever let two males off leash for a romp!

The best chance of having harmony is one male and one female.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby doesnt necessarily know when to stop, he loves to play rough but doesnt like it being done back to him. So on occasion when a dog gives as good as Toby is doling out it can get pretty hairy. I just have to be alert and watch body language and stay very close so I can jump in if it turns to rat poop.
Saying that he has a real love affair with my friends Pit Bull girl who gives as good as she gets and is a real screamer whilst doing it, honestly you would think murder is being committed. But boy do they have fun.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I remember wondering this same thing a few months ago! Rowan's "BFF" is a young lab named Oliver. When these two get together it is is like two tazmanian devils swirling through the house they can get so crazy! They absolutely adore each other (Rowan sits at the window and cries when he leaves) but they just play rough.

Like others said, we set some ground rules and I don't let them play too rough inside anymore. When they were a little smaller it wasn't so bad, but two 80-something lb dogs...no thanks. We also took some classes--"Skills and Thrills" it was called, where the dogs alternated some play time with obedience/training. The nice thing we got from that was more of an ability to call him out of play effectively. At first he would get so excited I would have to physically remove him to get his attention. We just kept practicing (when he started to escalate I would call him out, praise/treat and maybe take a short break if needed) and then return to play. Now all I usually have to do is make a verbal correction "ah-ah" or "leave it" and he will usually stop.

Also, a few months ago we dog-sat Oliver while his owners were out of town. The thought of having him for 5 days in a row was pretty daunting at first. I started using the clicker and calling him out of play. By the time his owners came back this is where we were:

I think they just need to have a chance to appropriately get their energy out, be redirected when necessary and then they will be great. :)

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I would love to see Roxy and Henry cuddle like that!
Here's hoping! I will update! Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Oh I would love to see Roxy and Henry cuddle like that!
Here's hoping! I will update! Thanks again everyone!
I hope so too! Honestly, there was a time when I thought NEVER in a MILLION years would I see that. But it happened...just takes time, and of course training. ;)

Reactions: dobedream

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two Tired Dogs!

I'm really grateful for the advice and stories from the posts on this thread! It helped a lot yesterday. Roxy and Henry played like crazy, as I knew they would, but we were able to include some training and keep it friendly...so it was a successful day!
And YES, they did wear each other out...as you can see :lol2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts