Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is already on a quality puppy food but being the runt she seems to have a little weaker immune system. I have some canned j/d left from my old lab that we had to put down last year and i know it is good for skin and of course joints. I'm going to mix it with her puppy food and feed it out so it doesn't go to waste. Any supplements i can add just to give her a boost? She's 8 months old by the way.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would give the Hill's product to a local resue, and write the cost off on your taxes...

Unless there is an actual medical issue that you are dealing with, just feeding your puppy well is what she needs. What kind of food is she getting?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hills large breed puppy. I work at a vet clinic and it's what we sell. I've had every dog i've owned on it and never had any problems. She looks really good and has a healthy looking coat but she has demodex that just showed up in a couple small spots and i would like to help her immune system out some. None of her 6 siblings have shown any signs and this was her mothers first litter so the breeder didn't know (and as far as i know, won't be breeding her back). Treating her also with goodwinol.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I work at a vet clinic as well, and the only reason why clinics sell royal canin is because they are getting paid to do it. IMO I would put her on better quality of food since you say she is struggling with health. I feed natures variety, and the contents are good for kibble. There are other dog food brands out there that are just as good, I'm sure there are quite a few threads on this forum listing them.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
If you're feeding a good quality dog food, there is no need to supplement unless the vet prescribes due to health issues. SD is NOT a quality dog food. Corn, corn gluten, chicken by products should not be the first ingredients listed. (yuck)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would get her on a higher end kibble llike Orijen, Acana, TOTW, Natures Variety, EVO are some. You can switch over to a Raw diet which is the best diet.
Even feeding a higher end food and a Raw diet twice a week we still use a supplement like Springtime Longevity, Raw Organic Egg, Coconut Oil, Vit E 400 iu, 2,000 mg Fish Oil or Sardines in Olive Oil, Co Q10 100mg. Looking at Krill Oil to replace the Fish Oil and the Sardines. You can also look at a good Probiotic like Dr. Becker has.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I would get her on a higher end kibble llike Orijen, Acana, TOTW, Natures Variety, EVO are some. You can switch over to a Raw diet which is the best diet.
Even feeding a higher end food and a Raw diet twice a week we still use a supplement like Springtime Longevity, Raw Organic Egg, Coconut Oil, Vit E 400 iu, 2,000 mg Fish Oil or Sardines in Olive Oil, Co Q10 100mg. Looking at Krill Oil to replace the Fish Oil and the Sardines. You can also look at a good Probiotic like Dr. Becker has.
I agree a quality food with a supplement/raw food makes a large difference in apperance and health as well as being the easiest way to have good overall dog maintenance.
Mabel is on Canidae all life sytems/P.A.W.S (puppies, adults, working seniors) as I love how high the calorie content is and the protein/fat ratio, with springtime fresh factors, a whole chicken leg and thigh at night, and solid gold sea meal, she is the shiniest dog, only requires 2 cups of food (4 w/o chicken) from the previous 6-8 on purina ONE and when I walk around picking up poop now I can't pick out hers from the collie as she poops a ton! less.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Runt I forgot to add also when you switch to the higher end kibble. You also want to use higher end treats. Otherwise you will be defeating the purpose. The biggest things to avoid are Corn, Wheat, and Soy. Someother suplements to look into to supplement to boost the immune system is a product called Mushroom Matrix Healthy Pet Matrix. Also 4life Transer Factor.
About 70 % of the immune system is located in the intestines of dogs. We then can get into not over vaccinating your pets.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I agree a quality food with a supplement/raw food makes a large difference in apperance and health as well as being the easiest way to have good overall dog maintenance.
Mabel is on Canidae all life sytems/P.A.W.S (puppies, adults, working seniors) as I love how high the calorie content is and the protein/fat ratio, with springtime fresh factors, a whole chicken leg and thigh at night, and solid gold sea meal, she is the shiniest dog, only requires 2 cups of food (4 w/o chicken) from the previous 6-8 on purina ONE and when I walk around picking up poop now I can't pick out hers from the collie as she poops a ton! less.
I totally agree with the above posters; your Dobermann's health requires more than just an average diet. When I owned a pet supply store there were few really good foods available. The Abady Formula was one of the best then, and I supplied one of the best Rottweiler breeders on the east coast with it; their dogs were consistant winners in the ring. Later, after I had closed my store, more good foods became available, and I was asked to be a nutritional consultant at another pet supply store. In that position I was able to get many customers off of low end big name foods onto superior top end foods, and to see the results.

Anne benefits from my interest in superior nutrition. Her diet consists of Nature's Logic Dry food (all natural vitamins/minerals), supplemented with raw or premium canned food, free range eggs, Springtime Longevity and Bug Off Garlic Granules, Source trace minerals, apple cider vinegar, and Grizzle wild salmon oil. The staff members at our vet's. office are always impressed with her excellent physical condition.

It is good to see other folks on here willing to go the extra steps to ensure that their Dober friends have the foundation for a long, healthy life. Other factors may interfere, and we are not perfect, but we are trying.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
This is scary
According to PetfoodIndustry.com, in just the month of February 2011, 70 percent of pet food ingredients imported to U.S. pet food manufacturers came from China.
Poked around, but couldn't find what you are referencing. Could you put up a link to the specific article? Or the title of the article and the section of the website in which it appears?

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Just wanted to point out that EVO is not an all life stages food and should not be fed to puppies (per the manufacturer).

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
When my boy got a localized demodex (a bald spot on his chest) I switched him to raw food and added fish oil, Nzymes skin package, Ester C and Colostrum.

It's hard to say what helped. Most likely he had outgrown it. His coat is shiny healthy and dosn't shed at all.

I would never ever feed my dogs Hills diet.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
the best way to strengthen/build the immune system is to let it 'work' and mature. If the demo is not 'bad' has not 'generalized' and is not causing secondary issues.......let her own immune system handle it without interference if you can.

along with good food, lots of love and attention.......lots and lots of outside time.....playing in the wind, rain, sun.......rolling on wet dewy grass or in the mud! :)

the more you let your dog be a dog..............the happier and healthier they will be!

Hugz to *******!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
the best way to strengthen/build the immune system is to let it 'work' and mature. If the demo is not 'bad' has not 'generalized' and is not causing secondary issues.......let her own immune system handle it without interference if you can.

along with good food, lots of love and attention.......lots and lots of outside time.....playing in the wind, rain, sun.......rolling on wet dewy grass or in the mud! :)

the more you let your dog be a dog..............the happier and healthier they will be!

Hugz to *******!
Thats great stuff but I think you need a good diet since 70% or more of a dogs immune system is in their intestines and not over vaccinate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts