Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend lost her Doberman at 6 years of age, she is Kaydees (she turned 1 years old on March 12th) Grandmother I am very worried now. My friend called me Friday the 27th frantic I couldn't understand her I told her I would be right over she lives less than 5 minutes from me. I got to Carols house and seen Shayla laying there lifeless I tried CPR on her for a good 10 minutes I couldn't bring her back. I felt horrible. Shayla's Grandmother was 14 years old when she passed now Shayla's Mom was 6 which she died to sudden death. Shayla's Daughter Nevaeh is 3 which is Kaydees Mom so I am very worried now. Is DCM in all Dobermans?:confused: :sad:

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
DCM is indeed prevalent in all lines of Dobermans.

Were both parents of the litter screened annually for cardio, by holter and echo?

Is your friend having a necropsy done on her girl?

Please send condolences on her loss.

I hate this disease.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Necropsies can confirm sudden death DCM, but they can't eliminate it as a cause. It all depends on whether slides of the heart tissue are made from the portion of the heart that's been affected. This is what a number of vets (including a cardiologist) have told me.

DCM is in every line of dobermans, there are no DCM free lines. All you can do with any doberman is do regular cardiac testing to try to diagnose as early as possible and then treat, hoping to extend lifespan.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Very sorry for the loss. I am glad they are having a necropsy done. That will give a much better picture. There are other reason other than cardio that dogs drop dead suddenly. So until the necropsy comes back you won't know for sure what caused the sudden death.

Cardio is a very complex disease and three things are suspected of contributing to it - Genetics, bacterial infections and environment. I do think what they are fed can also be a contributing factor but that is just my personal opinion as I have seen no studies on it.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
So sorry for her loss. My raw fed dog died suddenly while playing in the backyard. She was 5 years, 5 months old and had just had a cardio exam 6 weeks prior to her death. EKG, Echo and 24 hour holter. All with very good results. Holter had three (3) isolated VPCs which at the time my cardiologist was not alarmed about. I had a necropsy done and her heart, including tissue, was normal and showed no signs of cardio. The results were deemed "fatal arrhythmia" and it was explained to me to be similar to the sudden deaths that occur to young human athletes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the condolence, Shayla's cause of death was DCM. This is horrible there were no signs. Shayla was a very calm laid back Dob. My friend Carol had her cremated she is in her bedroom on Carols side where she slept. Thanks goodness she has 3 other furkins to keep her a bit busy. Thanks again and I will be doing routine cardio check ups with Kaydee:wavey:

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thanks for following up with the results. Sorry to hear it was DCM.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Glad to hear she had a necropsy done to confirm suspicions! And I'm sorry for the loss.

However, a very calm laid back dobe is usually a sign of something wrong. It can show heart disease, as well as hypothyroid (which my dog has). So if your girl shows similar symptoms I would definitely have her thyroid checked as it seems to be fairly genetic.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Glad to hear she had a necropsy done to confirm suspicions! And I'm sorry for the loss.

However, a very calm laid back dobe is usually a sign of something wrong. It can show heart disease, as well as hypothyroid (which my dog has). So if your girl shows similar symptoms I would definitely have her thyroid checked as it seems to be fairly genetic.
I don't agree, there are lots of laid back Dobes, who don't have any health issues including my 2 year old boy. He has been calm and quiet since day one. My boy Petey who had DCM was a piece of work, while he wasn't hyper he didn't have a laid back personality like my Monty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts