Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo. The little boy nailed it 3 times today so far. Knock wood!!!!
geez if I had known he would have grasped this quick, I should've started it sooner hahaha.
So this is what worked for me.
I hung the bell beside the door but at my eye level this Wednesday and everytime we went outside for potty, I would go "outside p" and hit it with my hand and go out the door.
Today I lowered it at Nubis' head level and the first time, I did my routine and we went out. Then the next time he let me know, running towards the door, I went to the door and said "outside p", and pointed at it and said "you hit it Nubis" which he did with his nose and I went good boy and out we went. Next time, when he did his routine to go out, I said "you gotta go outside p?, show me.
So the little bugger runs in the kitchen and hits the bell. Well I hit the roof with an good boy, excellent and out we went.
An hour later as I was watching him, he did his pacing and automatically went into the kitchen and hit the bell. So I said good boy lets go p and he did. .
I just love the look he gives me, when he accomplishes tasks I am showing him as he knows I am pleased and gets his praise, smack on the side and random treats.
I told Nubis'sMom it was the new biscuits she baked him today, cuz he had all braincells firing on the same cylinder. Hahaha.

I also started him on the clicker the other day and things are clicking hehe.. I will do some short rapid fire commands and he just get all pumped. I always keep it short and fun and end off with some fetch or play fight.
For now, I am building the clicker concept and then onto some fun and games.
I will use it for teaching new stuff cuz I don't want a click click dog.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Way to go Nubis!!! That's awesome. My wife and I got one of those rings with the bells attached to it you put on around the door knob at Christmas. Think I'm going to fish it out of the Christmas stash and give it a try.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
Just be careful of the bell construction.
Nubis'sMom got a few heavy duty bells used for hunting off flea bay. I seen some Xmas Bells around Christmas but was afraid if he would get aggravated and chomp on it. Nubis has zero patience prolly attributed to being the runt and leaving the litter early. Using stay and wait is helping with this but I knew, my choice in a runt would possibly come with its own set of issues.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The bell is awesome isnt it! Lexi (rip) almost drove me insane with it. The back door could be wide open and she would just come in and out ringing the bell. Somedays she would ring it almost constantly, for fun. On somedays I would take it off. LOL Kyrah use to use the bell to call me to her. She figured out if I ring the bell mom comes. I put a stop to that. Now she uses it just to tell me she needs out.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Nubis is indeed a smart young boy...what a quick leaner, making his Dad so proud of him...very exciting & clever result.

TSC sell little calf bells, for only several dollars...FYI...if one wants to avoid ebay shipping costs.

The bell is awesome isnt it! Lexi (rip) almost drove me insane with it. The back door could be wide open and she would just come in and out ringing the bell. Somedays she would ring it almost constantly, for fun. On somedays I would take it off. LOL Kyrah use to use the bell to call me to her. She figured out if I ring the bell mom comes. I put a stop to that. Now she uses it just to tell me she needs out.
^^^^^ LOL - a dobes way, of snapping their little fingers...Mom-Run-Run...a "got you moment".

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait for about 6 months and they ring that bell for every thought they have! J/K it's a great way to potty train....I use this method.
Thanks.
Well Nubis tried faking me out to go out, once and discovered waisting my time ends up in a timeout in his EMPTY crate with no luxuries of a blanket and toy.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha I'll give him a few days and once he plays that game I'll raise it higher again and we will be back to basics again. I think he will like this better than running to the door, In circles, or nudging my hand and me asking him what's wrong (when i actually know). My objective is a more effective way of him letting me know, verses having to keep an eye on him all the time. Grant it last time he dribbled on the floor was over a month ago and it was my fault, cuz i kept asking him to show me and he did .
LOL

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nubis is indeed a smart young boy...what a quick leaner, making his Dad so proud of him...very exciting & clever result.

TSC sell little calf bells, for only several dollars...FYI...if one wants to avoid ebay shipping costs.
^^^^^ LOL - a dobes way, of snapping their little fingers...Mom-Run-Run...a "got you moment".
Thanks
Well sometimes they can be too smart and you have to be one step ahead of them. One reason, I have to start working on new skills for him and his patience.

Good to know about TSC, but the SO always gets cheap deals and when you factor in getting them locally and your time, ship to the door works great for us.
Our Postie Lady is not happy about the parcels but we always pay her off at Xmas time. Hahaha

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Nubis only had 2 incidents all day where he didn't hit the bell. The other times, on his own he hit it or or the other times, where I asked what's wrong he went and hit it. I think he likes that he clearly lets us know when he has to go. Now I just need to train our one cat (wannabe dog) to hit it, cuz he wants outside all the time, when the weather is nice.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
In the crate with no blankie and no toy--OMG.

I love the idea of the bells. Tried it with Joe and it worked great. Tried it with Taylor and she ate the ribbon.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Bella will ring the bell to go out, she is my quiet girl and would never whine or bark to go potty so we had to do something to know when she had to go. Nexus will pace, whine, bark or come get you when she has to go so she does not use the bells. It did not take long to teach Bella to use them, they are pretty smart when it comes to things like that.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I potty trained both of my girls with a "bear" bell. But I rescued my male when he was 18 months....he will not touch the bell or the door. I think he was hit for touching the door! I think he was hit with a eletrical cord...he becomes nervous when he see one. We try very hard to keep all cords away from him.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
congrats Nubis!!! thats so great that he picked it up so fast. Great job.
Thanks,
Only issue with being a quick learner, I have to catch unacceptable behavior like yesterday or it will be harder to fix. He already mimacs the cats.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bella will ring the bell to go out, she is my quiet girl and would never whine or bark to go potty so we had to do something to know when she had to go. Nexus will pace, whine, bark or come get you when she has to go so she does not use the bells. It did not take long to teach Bella to use them, they are pretty smart when it comes to things like that.
Yeah, I like Nubis to be the quiet boy, so when barking is occurring I have something to be concerned about.
he already knows how to let me know, when he has to go. For me it is a confidence booster for him and I already see it is working.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Well done Nubis!! Yep I want to try this with Brandy, but I need a bell first haha. She knows to go outside, but still hasn't showed us ever that she wants to go outside, she waits for us to take her out or she'll go on the floor. But yeah this looks like it works wonders!! :D

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah but make sure, she knows the show me command or I think it would be harder for the dog to grasp it. Once today so far, he tried a nudge for my attention and I casually ignored him, like I was doing something and he went into the kitchen and hit it. Of course that was awesome so big praise acknowledgement and a piece of Nubis'sMom homemade biscuit. LOL

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Super Cute Holly
227 Posts
Hey nubis dad. Sorry about our little argument. I was stressing and worried. And after hearing your side of things my partner and i have decided to find out more about crate training! So thank you and sorry :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts