Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been giving my dobie those dentastix and she keeps biting them right in half and getting it wedged in her mouth so I have to reach in there and pull it out. Anyone else have that problem, or is my dog just weird?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mine haven't but it's not surprising with how soft they are. You might have better luck with either the bigger ones or something more like greenies that's harder, has a wider shape, and breaks up differently. Zukes even has a greenie style one that comes in three diff flavors (mabel love love loves! the cherry)
We also use busy bones, the chewnolas are a favorite but messy but mabel doesn't like the regular ones :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to give her the greenies, just thought I would change it up and I'm not happy with the dentastix. I'll finish out this pack and not get any more. She just chomps down right in the middle of it. If she would go from one end to the other it would work fine, and probably do her teeth more good.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's not really wild about chewing on bones. I always get her one of those cow femurs that are bbq'd or whatever and she usually eats the ends off and is done, but this one I got her for this past Christmas was barelt touched. She wont touch rawhide and wont chew on a raw bone either.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
What are her feelings to the non-edible nylabones? in any of the shapes/flavors?

Reactions: cuddlbug00

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never tried one of those. Maybe she'll like them since they are flavored. I'll try one of those. Thanks

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Np, I'd get a plain style one first and if she likes it they have dental versions. We have these two for mabel and are looking into some others since they're fairly well worn down.

DuraChew® Bone - Original | Product Finder | By Product Type | Nylabone

DuraChew® Textured Bone - Chicken | Product Finder | By Product Type | Nylabone

Here's their site : I would look at large or extra large dog, moderate and powerful chewer styles (not the ribs though, Mabel chewed the end pieces off and thankfully doesn't like to eat them)

Powerful: Product Finder | By Product Type | Dog Toys/Chews - Powerful Chewers

Moderate: Product Finder | By Product Type | Dog Toys/Chews - Moderate Chewers

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
She's not really wild about chewing on bones. I always get her one of those cow femurs that are bbq'd or whatever and she usually eats the ends off and is done, but this one I got her for this past Christmas was barelt touched. She wont touch rawhide and wont chew on a raw bone either.
You might try a piece of a cut up whole chicken, say a leg quarter or back and see if she likes that.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Have you tried deer antlers?

This & That Canine Co for example (in jumbo or xl)
This and That Canine Co. Chew This – Antler Chews
Antlers are excellent. Deer antlers actually don't last very well with my crew, though. I find that it's Elk antlers or nothing if I want them to last any real length of time. Just thought I'd throw that out there based on my own experiences.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i don't believe in those products (dentastix, greenies). My dog gets bones, and ropes. Vet says he has the best looking teeth he has seen in a long time. He flosses daily with his ropes:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
N bones are wonderful and they are totally digestable. Our dogs LOVE them. They have them in peanut butter or chicken flavor and they make a mint one or a white one, not sure what flavor that one is but its for their teeth. They are made in the usa and are all natural. Google N bone and you should see the manufacturer website. They are based in Texas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts