Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. My name is Greg. I just joined here, and hope to continue visiting this forum for a very long time. I have grown up with Dobies my whole life.

My father picked out a dobie pup from a litter in 1970, his first. He had Sonny #1 for 16 years, until he passed on from age. Shortly after, he aquired Sonny #2 from the same breeder in 1986. I was born January of 1988, and began life climbing, tugging, and pulling on 2 year old Sonny. This dog protected my crib at night and followed me like a hawk by day. He was my protector until he sadly passed on in 1990 at the age of 4 due to lukemia. He came home late in 1990 and passed on after a treatment at the vet for his illness.

Early 1991 my father and his brother picked out dobie brothers from a littler. We had Sonny #3 and my uncle had "Studley" ... In 1995 Sonny #3 was taken by Anaheim Animal Control and put down because he was "violent" because he had bitten 3 people on record. He was very protective of me, and anytime someone got within reach he would nip at them. All three of them happened to be older women, friends of my grandmother who hastily went to the hospital and reported their injuries as dog attacks...

In 1997 my uncle passed on, leaving Studley to me!... I was very sad, yet happy all at the same moment. I aquired 6 year old Studley and we bagan our new relationship. I immediately bonded with him, and loved him dearly.

Studley slept with me at night on my bed, he later went to work with me as a local truck driver in 2005. He truly was my best friend. In 1999 we had a home invasion late in the night, Studley successfully intercepted the armed burglars, taking 3 rounds to the head. HE SURVIVED. The C.S.I. confirmed the larger puddle of blood in the house was not that of Studley, but that of a human (burglar) confirming he had done some damage, protecting his home and family... I layed with him all night, as instructed by the veteranarian, to make sure his gums did not turn white and let him settle out of shock. The next morning I went with him to the vet, where they sewed him up and sent him home. Three visits later, and three months later, the bullets were removed from his head and neck area. This dog literally saved my life and family!

In June 2006, Studley, a healthy 91 pound Doberman, began having convulsions on a Monday night. I layed with him all night, while he had 2 more convulsions, comforting my best friend, knowing he was passing on. Tuesday morning I took him to the vet. They confirmed he had serious spinal wear and damage along with cancer throughout his body... It was late June, on a warm Tuesday morning that I held my best friends head in my hands as he was humanely taken from me at the age of 15. It was the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. I felt like it was the loss of a brother, a son, and a friend. My best buddy was gone. I was devastated. I still cry once in a while, when I look at his box of ashes I keep in my bedroom. The very next day, I decided I would rescue a dobie in remembrance of my boy. I traveled from Anaheim, to Fillmore, about 65 miles, to a doberman rescue shelter I had heard of. I immediately met LIGHTNING. He was a frail little guy, only 53 lbs, with a small frame and tiny build.

We immediately brought this scared little boy, at 6 years of age, with a long history of abusive owners and mistreatment to our home. Within a month, he was the most beautiful, loving dog a person could ever meet. Now, up to 81 lbs, even a little fat for his size, he is loving life and in my mind, an honor to the memory of my best buddy, Studley...

He is now 7 years old, as of Halloween 2006! I love him dearly, and would jump on an arrow for him. Everyday his behavior reminds me more and more of Studley...

I appologize for the lengthy post, but no one else understands how I feel, I hope someone here truly knows how I feel...

I love you studley, and may you RIP with Uncle Ron and wait in heaven for me!

:emo2:

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
first welcome to DT, sorry for your loss, its hard to let go such a dear friend, a special bonded friend were you share so much things with, keep in mind all the good times you shared together, they have given so much hapiness and joy!

great that you find yourself a new dog, hope he may given you so much love and joy! And this boy will help you to heal from your loss, I know I have several more dogs, and when my little girl passed away they helped me thru the time, you never forget them thats for shure!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Welcome, and soooo sorry for your loss, and happy for your gain! I think most of the people here will be able to understand exactly where you are coming from. ALL pets are special, but there's something about the way a dobe bonds with us that is unique to most other pets.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I'd like to welcome you here. Some of the dates are very confusing to me - Studley came to you in 1997 at age 6 and died in 2006 - he would have been 15 years old - is that right?

Call me confused??

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm sorry you are missing Studley. We do understand how hard it is to lose these guys. A piece of you goes with each one.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Maybe I'm just a cynical old seahag, but I'm not wondering if we shouldn't issue a troll alert about this post.

Some of the stuff written kind of exceeds the boundaries of credibility. A dog takes THREE bullets to the head, and isn't seen by a vet until the next day? C'mon......

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Maybe I'm just a cynical old seahag, but I'm not wondering if we shouldn't issue a troll alert about this post.

Some of the stuff written kind of exceeds the boundaries of credibility. A dog takes THREE bullets to the head, and isn't seen by a vet until the next day? C'mon......
ummmm yeah, I was wondering about that too........... I like to think that people are being up front and give them the benefit of the doubt, but this one has me wondering if it is for real.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Questioning my credibility is fine. The dog was shot with small rounds (.22) and all three of them entered his skin at the top of his skull. Two of them traveled to his neck/shoulder area, and the third lodged in the upper part of his neck. The vet I spoke with told me not to move him, he would be in shock. He told me to let the dog settle out of shock and bring him in the morning (2 hours later) He also told me to lay with him and watch his gums, if they were to turn white he should be brought in immediately, but he advised against not moving him unless totally neccessary.

I can scan and post the police report if you like? Pictures of his scars after surgery?

Yes, he was 15 years old.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Welcome and I am sorry for your loss.

I am not trying to be rude, but shock is a very serious thing. It requires immediate care, not to wait it out. If I did not rush Asher to vet when he was in shock, he would not be with me today. He barely made it through the weekend. It required me to keep him awake until I made it to the emergency vets office. The first thing he wanted to do is lay down and go to sleep. Somehow the bullets would make me rush him even quicker since I am sure there would have been internal bleeding with it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
DreamDoby said:
Welcome and I am sorry for your loss.

I am not trying to be rude, but shock is a very serious thing. It requires immediate care, not to wait it out. If I did not rush Asher to vet when he was in shock, he would not be with me today. He barely made it through the weekend. It required me to keep him awake until I made it to the emergency vets office. The first thing he wanted to do is lay down and go to sleep. Somehow the bullets would make me rush him even quicker since I am sure there would have been internal bleeding with it.
You know DD I was thinking the same, shock is very serious in and of itself...3 bullets reguardless of size into a dogs head as small as it is would do serious damage. Not to mention trauma to the brain, was he mentally the same after? What about rehabilitation? Fine and gross motor skills? Makes you go hmmmmm.....

Studley, I am sorry for your loss, that I do understand. This is a great forum, with extremely devoted Dobe lovers!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am so happy that you posted this. Just knowing that there are other owners out there that loved and miss their dogs as much as I miss mine gives me confort. May your little man RIP and play along with our dear Kohl. I hope they find each other.

My thoughts are with you and your dear friend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts