Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,256 Posts
All I know is the AKC guideline from their website:

"Keep in mind that AKC Rules do not allow, except with special documentation, the registration of a litter out of a dam less than 8 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating, or by a sire less than 7 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating."

I find it a bit disgusting, though--even if it is allowable by AKC--can you imagine breeding a bitch who is 12 years old?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know...ugh...they think it's ok to breed a baby

"Keep in mind that AKC Rules do not allow, except with special documentation, the registration of a litter out of a dam less than 8 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating, or by a sire less than 7 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating."

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I kinda like seeing older stud dogs see there health at current time(looks) not just a two year old fresh out of the ring. But im no pro. I just kinda like it. And only breed the dog IF he is in 100% good in all catigories of health at that current time.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I do agree with being a little older. I was curious about a dog in the double digits older.

I kinda like seeing older stud dogs see there health at current time(looks) not just a two year old fresh out of the ring. But im no pro. I just kinda like it. And only breed the dog IF he is in 100% good in all catigories of health at that current time.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Over here the kennel club will not register the puppies of the bitch is under one or over eight. I dont think there is an age restriction for stud dogs. Im definitely no expert, I wonder if there couple be any complications during the mating of an older dog?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
NZKC accredited breeders thing...

NZKC Accredited Breeders will not breed from a Dog or Bitch before 12 months and have had all appropriate health checks done.
NZKC Accredited Breeders will not breed from a Bitch over the age of 8 years at whelping, provision for dispensation with good cause shown prior to mating.
Good Cause: the breeder will need to show that there is benefit to the breed for performing the mating. Each case will be judged in its merit. Approval must be sought in advance of the mating being done.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts

I find it a bit disgusting, though--even if it is allowable by AKC--can you imagine breeding a bitch who is 12 years old?
Keep in mind the AKC rule was made because parentage would be questionable for a litter with parents under or over those ages. It's questioning possible fertility, rather than due to any moral factor. At one time, to register a litter with a parent under/over those ages, the documentation had to include a vet's certification that the breeding did indeed take placed and they witnessed it. I'm sure at this time the requirements also require dna testing to prove parentage. It's all about the record keeping for them.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Yes, I do agree with being a little older. I was curious about a dog in the double digits older.
Every once in awhile you'll hear about a doberman stud dog still siring puppies naturally into the double digits. Ch. Telstar's Icon comes to mind-he actually was used more at age 10+ than he was in his prime while he was being specialed.

Prostate problems are so common in this breed and I think that contributes to not seeing too many dogs being used as senior citizens.

I suppose you could come across a situation where a dog was no longer sound enough to mount a bitch or maintain a tie, due to arthritis or something.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Is there such a thing as "too old to stud"? This would be a living dog, not a frozen donor.
I'm curious as to what would prompt the question in the first place. It would have never occurred to me to consider a that dog (who was physically capable) might be "too old" to be used as a stud.

Bitches I can understand. Pregnancy takes a toll. But a stud?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing anything, I'd like to possibly learn something. I learned from the post about AKC age limits due to the likelihood of an older dog being incapable of reproducing. That did not appear to be the basis for your question though.

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The question was sparked by a conversation I had with a friend, also a dog person.

I'm curious as to what would prompt the question in the first place. It would have never occurred to me to consider a that dog (who was physically capable) might be "too old" to be used as a stud.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing anything, I'd like to possibly learn something. I learned from the post about AKC age limits due to the likelihood of an older dog being incapable of reproducing. That did not appear to be the basis for your question though.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

Stud dogs can't always produce as veterans or later in life so it's a very valid question. Some can, some can't. Their swimmers don't always swim as well or at all :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Stud dogs can't always produce as veterans or later in life so it's a very valid question. Some can, some can't. Their swimmers don't always swim as well or at all :)
I was including that with being 'physically capable'. Murreydobe explained that age related infertility was a reason for the AKC age limits. I found that educational and interesting. She also made a good point that DNA testing might make that particular concern somewhat mute.

Without getting graphic, I meant that I don't understand why a dog who can mount up, complete the act, has viable semen, etc- would ever be considered too old to be used as a stud.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
and using an older stud dog, even if they CAN get the job done, you're looking at reduced sperm quality so the litters, if they do take, are likely to be much smaller.

chills mother had a prior litter right before his - a singleton that was out of chills grandfather, my trainers own dog (12 at the time). for the "repeat" breeding, his breeder opted to use a son of her male dog which is locally available - a larger litter resulted. now theres a variety of factors, but age and sperm quality is certainly one of the variables.

·
Registered
959 Posts
and using an older stud dog, even if they CAN get the job done, you're looking at reduced sperm quality so the litters, if they do take, are likely to be much smaller.

chills mother had a prior litter right before his - a singleton that was out of chills grandfather, my trainers own dog (12 at the time). for the "repeat" breeding, his breeder opted to use a son of her male dog which is locally available - a larger litter resulted. now theres a variety of factors, but age and sperm quality is certainly one of the variables.
If that is the case, then I can understand a basis for the original question. It could be rephrased as "at what age does a previously productive stud began to produce small liters?"

Is there an average when that occurs? Or is it random and individual based?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts