Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I'm doing my best to properly train Toro, and he's doing very well on his basic obedience commands - sit, down, stay, etc.

But when it comes to the leash, I'm getting kinda frustrated! He just keeps pulling. I do the "make like a tree" thing until he settles down, and then continue, but he just keeps lunging and pulling, so I just keep standing still. Takes forever to make it around the block at this rate! Sometimes are better than others, though.

Perhaps I'm too impatient, he is only 4 1/2 months, afterall, but I feel I should have made a little more progress by now.

Advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The tree method can and does work and it sounds like you've figured out that patience is the key :) If you are not completely opposed to training with treats, you can bait him to stay closer to you with a little bit of hotdog or boiled chicked. If he's where you want him to be, he gets the treat, if not, he gets the tree. You can also change direction to keep his attention on you. Right before he gets to the end of the leash, say his name and then quickly turn around and start walking in the opposite direction - don't pull or jerk him - as soon as he catches up with you, give him a treat and praise.
It does take time and lots of repitition but y'all will get it :) Changing direction works for all sorts of things too. If he's paying too much attention to someone else approaching (for ex), quickly change direction to get his attention back on you. First and foremost, keep it positive :) Good luck and keep us posted on his progress :)

·
Banned
675 Posts
You can combine the two things and make like a tree when he pulls, then as soon as he even looks at you, use a bridge word, whatevre word you like but be consistent in using that word and no other and don't ust that word in any other situation. As soon as you say the bridge word, give him a treat, just a small piece of something that he can swallow quickly. Then walk on and do it over again. This might make him more motivated to look at you, and getting a treat for that should build the behavior to make him loosen the leash. What you want it a loose leash then you can walk on.

This was explained to me on another list a couple of years ago to use with my adult male and it worked. I had tried just the tree thing with him earlier and it didn't work. We literally didn't get anywhere but as soon as he caught on about the treats it started to work. With the puppy I have now, I'm just doingo the tree maneuver and not using treats, because he doesn't need them, he caught on fast that not pulling gets him the reward of continuing the walk and that's enough for him. Every dog is different in what motivates them to work. Plus you have a puppy and puppies have a very short attention span. My puppy just turned one year and he's not perfect yet but he's pretty good. It took some time to get to this point tho.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,

thanks. Maybe I'll start working in the treats a little more and the bridge word. It's worth a try!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am having this problem with Lucy as well. She does great any other time excelpt on a leash, she still gets so excited and pulls and snifffs and jumps and anything else she can manage in a split second. She is food driven for anything except a walk, I guess I should try with something a little more tasty and smelly to get er attention.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
There were some good tips in the last thread where you asked this question. Don't worry yet, he is still a very young puppy. Training classes would also help a great deal.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The training collar got Java's immediate attention when she started pulling in Obedience Class. One correction and an indignant yelp later and she was very happy to follow my lead. Maturity will help as well - she is much a calmer dog and more willing to listen at 14 months than at 6!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JavasMom said:
The training collar got Java's immediate attention when she started pulling in Obedience Class. One correction and an indignant yelp later and she was very happy to follow my lead. Maturity will help as well - she is much a calmer dog and more willing to listen at 14 months than at 6!
Which type of collar are you referring to? A "prong" collar?

thanks

·
Banned
675 Posts
I have never used a prong collar on Monte, and I probably never will. Because he doesn't need it. The "tree" technique with the treats that I outlilned was for casual walks not for heeling altho it could be used for that but that's not how I do it. I walk Monte around the neighborhood and I don't want to be dragged around the block by him. With this method he is learning not to do it.

I used a prong on my first Doberman and on Mic, who died six months ago, it was a bad experience for both of them, in different way. I had said I would never use one again after Radar but let myself get talked into it again for Mic and it was still a bad idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts