Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here! Juno is 7 months old, and I was wondering if it is normal for a Doberman to stretch all the time? When they get up, when they get down from the couch, I understand long sleeps...but is there something wrong with her? Does she have Hip Dysplasia or something similar?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby is forever stretching when he gets up, it has become something of a long winded ritual and must be done in a precise way or he is just not a happy Dobe.
I do not think it is a sign of any hip problems, (Toby's hips have been checked and the vet says he is fine), however, if you are really worried then you could always ask your vet to take a look at your Dobe and if nothing else it will put your mind at rest.
I honestly believe they are like athletes limbering up, prior to causing mayhem usually, so unless you hear clicking or see your Dobe limping afterwards I personally wouldnt worry too much.

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
All my dogs (Dobes, Afghans, Australian Shepherd) have always stretched when they woke up, got up from lying down, got up from sitting down, got out of the car, went out into the yard and usually along with the stretch they shook themselves too.

I agree with Toby'shuman--the dogs are probably smarter than we are when they stretch to limber up just as a trained athlete does.

I doubt that it would mean Hip Displasia--that usually shows up as an odd gait in the rear, stiffness when getting up or pain when moving. But for anything like this your vet is your best resource. Your vet can do x-rays to see if the hip structure is normal.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Chase is a major stretcher, too. You know, you've gotta limber up to go outside and go potty! My little dogs hardly ever stretch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I was just concerned. This is my first Dobe :) She is my baby!
I also have another question, is 45 lbs a good weight for a 7 month old? She's tall, but I've heard they are supposed to grow 10 lbs for every month. Is that accurate?
I had her on raw for a good month, but it wasn't working out with my schedule sadly, so I switched to Taste of the Wild Prairie form.
I'm just concerned she's not big enough.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Lottie has a very complicated stretch routine which involves stretching her way around the lounge when she gets up. The day cannot start until Lottie has finished her stretching.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
All my dogs stretch but Kyrah, dobe, more than my terriers. One of the first tricks I taught her was to bow. Then we used that as a sign when she has found what I have hidden for her. Over the last couple weeks I am begining to see that stretch down is becoming a default behavior when she wants something.

Kyrah doesnt stretch in the morning like Lottie. Probably the only time she wakes up that she doesnt. She is spinning circles, running back and forth, spastically going in & out of the closet to get my slippers to me so she can hurry to get in the front to get her breakfast!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Thanks guys! I was just concerned. This is my first Dobe :) She is my baby!
I also have another question, is 45 lbs a good weight for a 7 month old? She's tall, but I've heard they are supposed to grow 10 lbs for every month. Is that accurate?
I had her on raw for a good month, but it wasn't working out with my schedule sadly, so I switched to Taste of the Wild Prairie form.
I'm just concerned she's not big enough.
Kyrah was very thin during the period of 6-8 months. I couldnt feed her enough to get weight on her. But that table has turned... :( I have to really watch how much she eats now b/c I cant keep the weight off now.

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Khaleesi does a lot of stretching. She's a natural athlete, and I think she knows its good for her.

My RIP beloved Loki also was a great athlete. He always did a deep yoga downward facing dog every single time he changed positions!

Dexter, my less athletic guy at age 2, has a slight problem with 1 leg. He rarely stretches and when he does, his yoga stretch is very halfhearted compared to Khaleesi and what Loki's was!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Stretching is normal.

You may want to take advantage of it. Everytime Lexie would stretch I would say "take a bow", click the clicker and a treat. Now she "bows" on command.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts