Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8-month-old male and am fostering a 3-year-old female. Both are intact and she is not in heat. We are on day 3 and he is still 'girl crazy'. She definitely puts him in his place but I can't have them roughhousing in the house. His normal temperament is high energy with periods of calm. She is calm and chill. I would love to have them both chilling in the house in the evening. I suppose I am not being patient enough for them to work it out. I would love to have her permanently but so far this is a lot of work shuffling them throughout the day. I apologize in advance for being a newbie to all of this. Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Big Lil pup
6,323 Posts
Hi augestgen!

Is there a reason you have left them both intact? I understand that generally one does not have the authority to spay a foster. And just for the record, all my dogs have been mature before neutering and my current youngest at 3 yo is still intact.

Still.....

John
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
At 8 months your male is still "mostly" a puppy and young and dumb. If he pesters her she'll put him in his place--sometimes violently.

Personally for this particular issue I'd stick them in the yard and let her convince him that being too nosy is VERY RUDE--and will not be OK with her.

I don't let dogs play in the house--house rules say that dogs can lay down and play with toys--by themselves. That includes puppies. I can usually modify behavior (like playing together in the house) within a week. It usually involves keeping a leash on the instigator (probably your young male).

High energy dogs (like the male) often need to learn about off switches--no better tme than the present--it takestime but it's a training issue--the bitch will help a lot by threatening to maim, wound and kill the puppy if he doesn't leave her alone.

And yes--exercise will help a lot--tired dogs are good, quiet dogs.

·
Super Moderator
21,744 Posts
Well, I'm not much help...mine DO roughhouse inside :) But my bitch is DEFINITELY in charge and has been since day 2, at 3 months old :D She's usually the instigator of the roughhousing and they do play like maniacs outside. If I want them to knock it off, though, I'm ultimately in charge of that, and they do, or they can have crate time. But I don't mind if they play inside most of the time, and they don't do it nonstop or anything, so it's no big deal to me. And they mostly chill on the sofa with me at night, despite Sypha being very high energy. She gets enough training and stimulation that it's not an issue, and she has a good off switch.

Reactions: dobebug and melbrod

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I have an 8-month-old male and am fostering a 3-year-old female. Both are intact and she is not in heat. We are on day 3 and he is still 'girl crazy'. She definitely puts him in his place but I can't have them roughhousing in the house. His normal temperament is high energy with periods of calm. She is calm and chill. I would love to have them both chilling in the house in the evening. I suppose I am not being patient enough for them to work it out. I would love to have her permanently but so far this is a lot of work shuffling them throughout the day. I apologize in advance for being a newbie to all of this. Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Similar situation alert! Lol. I have an 11 month old male and a 16 week old female. We've only had her a week but I can tell you we definitely have a new dog in charge and it isn't my male! Lol. She is so little 25lbs now but holds her own. He is nuts about her and doesn't want to be away from her...ever. The first couple of days were definitely interesting but now they love each other and I have to go get her out of his crate to put her back where she belongs. We just got cleared to exercise my male last week. He was neutered 3 weeks ago and they wanted him to be calm for 12-14 days. This was the hardest part but luckily by the time she arrived he was cleared to play . He goes and does his training and play time in the morning until about 11:00am and I stay with the female throwing the ball and trying to teach her some things. Our biggest hurdle rn is getting her potty trained. When the male comes back he is so exhausted he sleeps for about 2 hours then I put her in her crate as well and I leave. I was gone for 3 hrs today and came home and both were totally fine. Im too new at this to give advice bc I'm learning as I go but we do exercise them apart then reunite when we are done. Oh and I will pass on something that has worked for me the past 3 days.... crate crying.... to fix this I wear them out about 1 hr before bedtime. I stay in the room with them and their kennel doors are open. I put my purse and laptop on chair and ottoman and then sit in the other chair so they have nowhere "comfy" to go except their beds . Moose (male) loves his crate and we've never had a problem but the little one does not- she still cries at night. She goes in there to lay down and I leave the crate open for about 10 min. Once she is asleep I walk over and whisper goodnight to her and close the crate door. She is fine with it and goes right back into her slumber. I remain downstairs for additional 10 min then go up. So far so good ! fingers crossed. Sounds like she is in great hands with you. Hope to see some pics of your dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts