Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take Eli to the park before work almost every morning as soon as it is light enough. I park my car on the right side of the garage. Recently we got a new car. I opened the back of it to have Eli jump in and he refused! I had to pull him in it. The new car was parked on the left, my husbands side. This weekend I parked the new car on the right side and moved the other car to the left. He hopped into the new car just fine this weekend, I scratched my head but whatever. Fast foward to this morning. I parked my old car on the left, this is the car he gets in everyday, the suv, Eli's car we call it. I opened the back and he freaked and stood by the new car, which was parked on the right. I had to drag him over, shaking btw, to the suv on the left and make him jump in. Apparently he only wants to get in a car on the right side of the garage seriously...now how weird is that?!!!

Eli is a dog of pattern. He runs out for the ball before I throw it and doesn't turn around, if I am off on the throw or I throw it in another direction he will not change direction and invariably runs in the exact same direction for the next throw unless I have him turn and watch me throw it. He starts bugging me to take him the park at exactly 6:15 every morning, exactly. Anyone else have a dog that is so rigid in patterning. When we work on tricks I try to change the order so he has to "listen". ;) Weird, weird dog.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Awww poor Eli! ;)

Lucy is definitely tied to her little routines and patterns. It's a little different situation but also related to the car... I recently changed the crate we use in our SUV. She's used to the other crate (the vari-kennel kind) as it used to be in the house, but when she saw it in the SUV she was like "WTH???" and didn't want to get in. Silly girl.

I also remember once a long time ago I had to take my crate out of the car and I transported her on a very short errand in the SUV cargo area without a crate. That completely freaked her out. That was the first and last time I've ever taken her in the car w/o a crate.

Sounds like Eli and Lucy could both use a course on change management! LOL

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is cracking me up because Eli is used to riding in the back of the suv. One time we went to home depot and needed the very back for the stuff so I had to put Eli in the back seat area...he was very stressed, couldn't get comfortable and getting him in that back seat was hard, I had to have hubby throw the leash so I could pull it and him into the back seat. Eli does the total "WTH?" stuff too regarding the car. Yet he is a dog who is very comfortable in the car on long trips. Whatever. ;) I can move dog beds and interchange them and he is fine, I can take him out the different doors and he is fine but change the side he gets in the car and he has a breakdown. LOL LOL. It was so weird because I assumed it was the new car he was objecting to which made a little sense but no it was the side the car was on...hahahaha.

Awww poor Eli! ;)

Lucy is definitely tied to her little routines and patterns. It's a little different situation but also related to the car... I recently changed the crate we use in our SUV. She's used to the other crate (the vari-kennel kind) as it used to be in the house, but when she saw it in the SUV she was like "WTH???" and didn't want to get in. Silly girl.

I also remember once a long time ago I had to take my crate out of the car and I transported her on a very short errand in the SUV cargo area without a crate. That completely freaked her out. That was the first and last time I've ever taken her in the car w/o a crate.

Sounds like Eli and Lucy could both use a course on change management! LOL

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Luci is completely like that, omg one day I decided we would use the front door of the house instead of the carport door, girl did not want to go in, she just stood there trying to walk around the corner to the carport. And you may as well forget having her get in a car from the passenger side, has to be the driver side or she doesn't like it. Ocd, just a wee bit ;)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oliver is the same. I picked him up in my car (VW Bug) from daycare. I have only had him in the van. He was having a fit, he didn't like it at all. Also, this was when he was smaller and fit, I don't think he'd fit now.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I had noticed Kyrah starting to resist doing some things b/c they were not what we normally did. I started switching things up so she would not think everything was a straight routine all the time.

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Not only Eli... LOL
Dogs prefer the routine and they are not easy adjustable.
I owned 4 Dobermans and they all had the same issues :)

Reactions: Lori Z

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well herding dogs aren't like that! LOL LOL. Eli is my first doberman. You can tell an aussie or shepherd, "hup" on to anything and they do it. You can put them in the front seat, back seat, side car whatever. ;) hahaha

Not only Eli... LOL
Dogs prefer the routine and they are not easy adjustable.
I owned 4 Dobermans and they all had the same issues :)

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
My dobes have been the sort that will jump into anything (I use the "hup" command too!) ...even Zil who was OCD (flank sucker)...but I tend not to establish routines in most things....just so they don't get stressed if things change...they quickly get used to everyday is new and exciting. :D Zil would try sometimes to tell me I should follow a routine...like friday nights we eat at the dinner table :lol: ...but he seemed to accept it ok if I said "not tonight"

just musing on it...I wonder if it has to do with them being operational stage thinkers combined with the breed trait of wanting to anticipate our desires...or maybe that's just over analysing it :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
One thing you don't get much of if you are doing conformation showing (or if you are me and doing Obedience, Rally, Agility or Tracking) is routine. My dogs go to shows with me, my friends, their handler, sometimes other peoples handlers and total strangers on occasion.

They take changes in cars, crates, seating, and anything else in stride--sure makes my life easier--I'd be going crazy if one of my dogs didn't want to jump into whatever vehicle I was trying to get them in or balked at a "DIFFERENT" crate.

So sorry you guys--too bad I don't still have my old Aussie--I used to use him to teach puppies to jump into cars and trucks. I could rent him out as a trainer.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He did it again this morning. LOL. I even took Gin with us. She came into the garage watched me saw what car I was opening and hopped in. Eli watched her and still freaked, circle, circle, circle...I pulled him to the car and boosted him up. Eli, Eli, Eli. hahaha. Wonder how long it will take him to get into the car on the left side. Once he does I'll switch it back to the left LOL.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,481 Posts
Dobes are odd fish, I think. Kip will go through the doorway from the kitchen into the dining room, but not back through the same doorway from the dining room into the kitchen. He goes around. It's such an innocuous habit I haven't bothered trying to stop it. I wonder if I should?? LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts