Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post but I have visited this site many times. I have a 6 yr old male Doberman (Dante) and he has recently done something very strange. I was wondering if someone could provide me with some insight! Dante came to my family 4 yrs ago from a very neglectful and stressful environment. He's now absolutely amazing, with very few "issues" (aside from never wanting to leave my side....but he is a Doberman!). Anyway, he has always slept in a dog bed on the floor of our bedroom for the past 4 years. However, for the past two nights he has refused to go into his bed at night (he will during the day) and instead, he is going into a sunroom off of our bedroom and sleeping on a sofa. He's had access to the sunroom since we brought him home and he has never gone on the sofa in that room. Any ideas as to why he would suddenly change his bed? Thanks!!

·
Big Lil pup
6,775 Posts
Maybe he is telling you that he wants a new bed!

Seriously, though.... Does it matter where he sleeps as long as he has a nice restful night?

Our dogs are not allowed on furniture. Consequently, they have resting/sleeping "stations" around the house. I don't even send them to their room at night. Still, that's where they always end up, in their crates. In the morning... Who knows? I don't care.

Could simply be something like minor arthritis pain and he finds the couch more comfortable than his bed,

W/ respect to Melbrod's post.... I agree. Temperature always is a primary dictator of where my boys find a comfortable place to sleep

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as above. Maybe his bed is loosing its fluffiness/padding flattening. That would make it less comfortable with feeling cold or harder floors. He's getting older and arthritis may be starting to set in which would make his joints and bones more sensitive than they have been.

Maybe he enjoys getting the morning sun if it hits in the a.m. where he lays.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When our weather cooled off (and she was ill) our Hilde refused to sleep on her bed. She only wanted to sleep in my closet. Being a little slow, it took me a few nights to realize the draught from our ceiling fan was bothering her. it wouldn't have been a problem if she had been healthy, or if we hadn't also just turned the temp down in our house at night.

Arthritis is a real factor in larger dogs. Look for stiffness, especially in the hips, first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...thank you for the wonderful thoughts and info! I actually don't care where he sleeps, but when we rescued him we created a "schedule" and he seems to REALLY enjoy it. Therefore, when he suddenly changed his own patterns it definitely seemed odd, especially since he has never been on that sofa before. I didn't considered arthritis, but I do believe this could be the issue. He had shoulder problems last year and took glucosamine but once the shoulder stopped bothering him, I stopped the glucosamine. I'm definitely going to start it again and watch closely for any stiffness. I live in southern Ontario, so it is getting colder. He gets two walks (runs) every day, usually around 10-12 kilometers....and he still has A LOT of energy! However, I didn't think about arthritis "sneaking up" at night. Thanks again for your help!

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,689 Posts
Welcome from another Ontarian. It has definitely cooled off in the last week.

Coco has a bed in our room and in the living room. She usually sleeps in our room at night. She likes a blanket over her bed and sometimes will not lay on her bed until I change her blanket because she wants a new clean one on or she may have leaked as she does have bouts of spay incontinence.

When it's been hot and the fan is not cooling her, she will lay on the floor to be in the fans breeze.

When it's been cold she likes a blanket on her sometimes and will not settle until I tuck her in. Yes she's a diva and has me trained well. ;)

When it thunders or there are fireworks she lays in my closet because she is afraid of these noises.

During the day she sleeps on her other bed, the couch or by the front door so she can see out the window and lay in the sun.

Coco is fussy about new beds and will not lay on them for the first few days until I lay on it and coax her onto it!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Sofia has always been a bed hopper... Will start out in the living room on one of the sofas.. then switch to the other... sometime in the middle of the night she goes to the love seat in my office... once I even found her curled up in a club chair like a cocktail shrimp. Have always found it to be amusing.. Has never slept in our room either on the floor or in our bed.. In fact, I'm not sure Sofia has ever slept on a floor..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts