Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chances mouth/teeth is healing great, thanks everybody for all the love and concern, but that has nothing to do with my strange unusuall concern...
My concern is.. Ever since we brought Chance home and we let him and our rottweiler "Sandy" outside to go "pot pot" and she is urinating somewhere in the yard no matter where it is he is right there behind her (literally behind her) and before she is even done using the potty he is trying to urinate right where she just went causing him to urinate on her back due to the fact tht she is a lady and squats, will he grow out of this or is he just marking his territory with her? or could it be to the fact that he is not fixed?

My other concern is.. Chance has this thing for stuffed animals, u see if the stuffed animal has a nose (which most do) he doesnt chew on it or bite at it but he sucks on it and it kinda looks like he is trying to milk off of his mom. agian will he grow out of this or is there a reason why he does this?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The peeing on top of and on her is signs of him attempting to be dominate, in my experience anyways. In a wolf pack a Alpha wolf will pee in a spot and if another pack member, say the beta which is second in command pee's where the alpha wolf pee'd they will pee beside it because they are second in command.

As for the the sucking, I have never personally experienced it but I would nip it in the but before it becomes an obsessive habit. Whenever I want my dobe to stop what ever it is that he is doing I will say that is enough or leave it. If he does not listen to voice command after a few times I will then walk towards the item and claim it with my body and energy and redirect him to another area and then praise for leaving the object alone and walking away from it.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
the peeing is normal boy behaviour...teach him the "wait" command....or have him sit until she has finished and moved off.

I personally wouldn't worry about toy sucking...he may or may not grow out of it...but it's better than flank sucking.

and I'm so glad to hear he's doing ok after his ordeal.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
He's just marking and she hasn't moved out of the way quick enough for him. I'd give a voice correction just because I'd be tired of washing my females back. I did have a male who did this a few times; he stopped.
This.

When I first got my little dog Dreizehn did the same thing. She'd squat and he'd sniff it and then he'd lift his leg to mark it while she was still there. I gave a verbal correction the first two times it happened and then I started making him wait with me while she did her business and didn't let him go at it until she had moved away. He hasn't peed on my other dog in a long while now.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Even if they get to the point where they're not peeing directly ON a bitch through training, they're going to immediately go to the spot where a bitch peed and mark on it for a lifetime. This is common behavior, nothing to do with domination and everything to do with making it clear this is *their* bitch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our male did this to Macha as well! They're peeing on the same spot, but the girl doesn't get done fast enough. I just gave Macha a minute head start or so, taught the younger male some manners, to "wait."

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
silly dogs marking their territory with pee...
my dog went stuffed animal crazy...take them away
unless they are made for dogs and have no stuffing...

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
It has not a thing to do with "wolf packs." Others addressed this--it's normal marking behavior, and I would also verbally correct and make him wait.

GK had a great question for you--is your female spayed?

The toy sucking may in fact be an OCD behavior that is fairly common among Dobermans--a self-soothing sort of thing some of them do. Corrections would have little to no productive value for "nipping it in the bud" as the OCD/anxiety would just manifest in other ways, likely even worse, due to the increased stress.

If you search, there are several threads on here, about Dobermans who suck :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's just marking and she hasn't moved out of the way quick enough for him. I'd give a voice correction just because I'd be tired of washing my females back. I did have a male who did this a few times; he stopped.
yea sandy is begininng to hate to go outside cuz it usually means she has to get a bath after she pottys i first thought chance was trying to mark Sandy as his territory, could that b possible?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is your female spayed? If not, she could be coming into season, in which case you need to keep your two separated! This marking is normal behavior though.
yes she is fixed she is also 15 yrs old and jus cant get out of the way fast enough, and my dobe is a mix so he isnt quite as smart as the full blooded ones plus he is a pupp still

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
silly dogs marking their territory with pee...
my dog went stuffed animal crazy...take them away
unless they are made for dogs and have no stuffing...
haha everytime i take it away he just sits there and looks at it or at me, i dont mind that he sucks on it just didnt know if it would have the same affect such as a 3 yr old with a pacifier will cause there teeth to be deformed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
haha everytime i take it away he just sits there and looks at it or at me, i dont mind that he sucks on it just didnt know if it would have the same affect such as a 3 yr old with a pacifier will cause there teeth to be deformed.
I've had 2 dobermans who sucked on their blankets and although it was annoying at times, it wasn't a real problem. (And their teeth were fine too!) They didn't chew or tear anything off of the blankets - just sucked on them. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he isn't trying to eat the fabric.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had 2 dobermans who sucked on their blankets and although it was annoying at times, it wasn't a real problem. (And their teeth were fine too!) They didn't chew or tear anything off of the blankets - just sucked on them. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he isn't trying to eat the fabric.
he isnt tearing anything up and he only does this to stuffed animals. no blankets or pillows that iv seen. and i dont really find it anoying just didnt understand why he does this. my other concern is he just had surgery on his teeth.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
hey as long as he is not eating the stuffing
then he would possibly need to see a vet...

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
he isnt tearing anything up and he only does this to stuffed animals. no blankets or pillows that iv seen. and i dont really find it anoying just didnt understand why he does this. my other concern is he just had surgery on his teeth.
I would be concerned about the cleanliness of the surgical site. I know stuff my guys play with (they don't suckle, but mouth and carry all their favorite blankets and toys) get filthy. Until the wounds are healed, I'd ty to keep this to a minimum to lessen a chance of infection.

After that... As long as he's not ingesting anything like stuffing, it's a "harmless OCD type behavior, IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
omg i have been letting him do this and i didnt even think about the bacteria/germs that are on his stuffed animal but sometimes thts how he sleeps. ok as of now his stuffed toy is put up and he looks very sad.. time to be a mean daddy for a couple of days :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts