Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
garden snakes.

Stormy usually does not kill them as I am always telling him to 'leave it', i like snakes. :)

But, occasionlly he will get a hold of one and send it flying through the air.

He mostly just barks at them.

now Magic is another story he has a very strong prey drive and will hunt snakes, if you notice he has one..........RUN, or else he will shake it so hard you will be wearing snake parts. :(

now with Pearl.......snakes can freak her out, heehee, she will be walking along and if she hears one she starts sneaking up on it and if i go...BOO..she will jump straight up in the air about 3 feet. :)

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump.......

the snakes are back! Stormy and Pearl pointed one out to me yesterday.

Spring is here NOW Stormy. :)

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
LOL!

Tali shares Stormy's love for hunting snakes! She also likes to bark at them and chase them, and sometimes the less fortunate snake gets a big Dober-paw pat on the back. :)

And Fiona likes to bark at Tali while Tali barks at the snake. Maybe Tali speaks snake and she's translating for Fiona...?

I don't mind snakes either and strongly discourage the dogs from harming what little wildlife we do get in our yard. I appreciate nature and believe in live and let live.

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Darkevs - if Amy & Dad fly to BC and visit, Stormy won't be looking at garden snakes...with love in his eyes / Amy and BF can hang out...He-He.
- he will be a new man...with spring in his eyes

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
yikes!

Here's a snake story for ya. Last summer, we were sitting outside enjoying the warm, summer evening. I'm lounged out in the zero gravity chair when, out of the corner of my eye, I see Sam nose poking something on the ground. I launch myself out of the chair to find out what's up. He's about 20 feet away from me. As I get closer, the nose pokies become more violent. Now I'm worried. I approach him within a few seconds and there's a snake! I immediately scream (yes scream) LEAVE IT! He jumps about 5 feet in the air and quickly runs to my side. (sorry about that Sam. You must know that mom really dislikes snakes). After my frantic calls to DH, he relocates the snake, all 12 inches, far away from us. :roflmao:

So, yeah I strongly dislike snakes.

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaha, my older brother is afraid of snakes and he blames it entirely on me.

he said when i was about 4 or 5 I used to fill up his toy trucks with snakes. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
We had a new hire at work, that went up North (cottage) for 1 week vacation....considered lazy SOB...by most...LOL.

When he was due back, he provided a Doctors note...off work for another week.

Apparently, he was playing "frissbee golf" with a Labatts Blue (aka beer) in his hand, running thru. the long grass.
Once RATTLER bitten, 1/2 drunk and delayed his trip to the Emergency Room (by several hours)...then poisen set in.

We laughed our asses off, him telling the story / some will do anything, for a week off work...in a sh*t hole automotive parts factory...LOL

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I wish we only had garden snakes. WE have more venomous snakes then non venomous. snakes are bad news bares here especially the aggressive ones we have its not uncommon to stumble across a 6 ft rattler or a 4 ft water moccasin here

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You must get a picture of Pearl sneaking up on a snake. I think it's cute when they sneak up on stuff. They're so funny most of the time.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Last summer baby Taylor was wondering around near the front sidewalk and coiled right beside her was a copperhead. Joe had that snake so fast I didn't have time to grab her and save her myself. Another time Walker was in the garage and there coiled beside my car was another copperhead. I did tell him to get it--he had the manners to wait--before I could move he had snake guts on the ceiling, walls and my car. Usually I relocate snakes but if they are so near my living space and are poisonous, I don't have much pity. I know, I'm a meanie.

·
30,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
We are lucky not to have any venomous snakes here on the west coast.

But I hear ya about how fast these dogs can shred a snake................Magic is lethal with them.

I do try to discourage him but he is just such a hunter.

Once snake season is in full swing around here I am scooping snake body parts when i scoop the poop, Magic like to bring pieces of them up here to show me even though he knows it pisses me off when he kills them.

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
We have 14 types of snake in Spain, 5 of which are poisonous, so I try to stop my dogs taking a peek at one just in case it happens to be one of the dangerous ones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts