Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seven month Dobe. She has shown signs of not tolerating and food with chicken. I did one last test with a treat with all chicken and we have the unbelievable runs again. Last time she ended up at the vets over night she got so sick. I have removed her food for the day and will introduce rice tomorrow to see if I can get her back in check. Has anyone ever used immodium on their dog? Any suggestions? No more chicken items ever!!!!!!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dbarking said:
I have a seven month Dobe. She has shown signs of not tolerating and food with chicken. I did one last test with a treat with all chicken and we have the unbelievable runs again. Last time she ended up at the vets over night she got so sick. I have removed her food for the day and will introduce rice tomorrow to see if I can get her back in check. Has anyone ever used immodium on their dog? Any suggestions? No more chicken items ever!!!!!!
A tablespoon of canned pumpkin (pumpkin itself, not the pie filling) twice a day can help.

Yes, you can give Immodium to dogs..I give one tablet (2 mg.) and go from there. I think you can give it up to 3x day, but have never had to do that, once or twice generally does the trick..if not, the dog needs to go to the vet.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I have had a vet tell me to administer Immodium so it should be fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had terrible problems with diesel as a pup, he would be ok on a certain food for so long then would suffer boughts of the runs. In the end I forced the vet to put him on Eukanuba Veterinary Diet 'Dog intestinal' and we have never looked back. He is in great condition and produces solid stools day in and day out.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Tamora developed diarrhea.( loose stools often before full blown diarrhea) I tried a bland diet for a day, (imodium also) which did not really help.
A trip to the vet solved it all--turns out she had a bacterial infection. Dobies immune systems according to her, are sometimes slower in developing and these things can sometimes crop up. I too thought maybe the food she was on, but she had been on it for awhile, so she did not think it was a food allergy. She was put on amoxicillin and diphenoxylate/Atropine. Shots were given that evening to speed up the process of getting it in her system. It really made her recovery a lot faster. From now on I will just call my vet.
I too have heard from one of the pet food manufacturers that chicken can indeed cause allergies in some dogs. How true this is, I don`t know. I do know that not all foods are for all dogs. I guess this can be a trial and error process.
AHP

·
Registered
107 Posts
alwayshadpets said:
I too have heard from one of the pet food manufacturers that chicken can indeed cause allergies in some dogs. How true this is, I don`t know.
Dogs can definitely have allergies to chicken, and in fact, they can have allergies to practically anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am very convienced that Kazi is allergic to any food includingtreats that have any chicken in them We will stay away from that. I ended up pulling her food and after 24 hrs. I fed her rice for two days. Then I decided to try Kaopectate every 3 hr during the day for a day and a half. She is doing 100% better. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
alwayshadpets said:
Tamora developed diarrhea.( loose stools often before full blown diarrhea) I tried a bland diet for a day, (imodium also) which did not really help.
A trip to the vet solved it all--turns out she had a bacterial infection. Dobies immune systems according to her, are sometimes slower in developing and these things can sometimes crop up. I too thought maybe the food she was on, but she had been on it for awhile, so she did not think it was a food allergy. She was put on amoxicillin and diphenoxylate/Atropine. Shots were given that evening to speed up the process of getting it in her system. It really made her recovery a lot faster. From now on I will just call my vet.
I too have heard from one of the pet food manufacturers that chicken can indeed cause allergies in some dogs. How true this is, I don`t know. I do know that not all foods are for all dogs. I guess this can be a trial and error process.
AHP
The same thing happened with Maggie. She had to go on a round of Flagyl to clear it up.

Your dogs are beautiful BTW. That's got to be one of the best looking reds I have ever seen!

·
Registered
13 Posts
dbarking said:
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am very convienced that Kazi is allergic to any food includingtreats that have any chicken in them We will stay away from that. I ended up pulling her food and after 24 hrs. I fed her rice for two days. Then I decided to try Kaopectate every 3 hr during the day for a day and a half. She is doing 100% better. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.
**One of my girls is also HIGHLY allergic to anything with feathers.
If you look at commerical dog food, especially canned, almost all the store brands have "chicken byproducts" in it along with the regular list of chemicals.
Real canned pumpkin is excellent for diahreah and also works the other way for constipation.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
dbarking said:
dbarking,

I'd avoid the Kaopectate unless you are using the stuff that comes from farm supply stores or places like Omaha vaccine. About 5 years ago they changed the formula and it now contains (as does Pepto-Bismol) as on of it's active ingredients a salicylate (related to aspirin--which is sodium acetal salicylate) and is contra-indicated in dogs. It can, and often does cause GI bleeding.

You can still get the stuff that does NOT contain the salicylate but it is generally available only in gallons (it's used for scours--diarrhea--in calves) on of the on line/catalog companies has started packaging it in quarts but the stuff you buy for human use all has bismuth salicylate in it.

At the time the formula was changed there were warnings out on all the vet lists because Kaopectate used to be entirely safe as a diarrhea treatment and was often recommended as it only contained kaolin (a fine white clay) nd pectin (a producted produced naturally in some fruits and used to gel homemade jellies and jams).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts