Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Echo within the past 24 hours has had increasingly loose stools, culminating in almost completely liquid bowel movements. He is eating/drinking normally, and his behavior is still happy/energetic. I touched his abdomen in multiple places, and he didn't seem to have any sore/painful areas. However, when he is going to the bathroom, he seems to be straining to push anything out (small gelatinous globules do come out). Unusually, last night he had diarrhea in his crate (he couldn't seem to hold until I put my shoes on to take him outside). He did this again today while I was away from the house for an hour. I called my veterinarian and a secondary vet for insight, and was told to monitor the situation. I am worried by Echo's apparent lack of control, and the fact that he is straining to poop? Could he be straining because he is trying to get every last bit of diarrhea out? :confused: Any opinions or information would be extremely helpful!
Forgot to mention, last night he needed to poop every hour or so.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
If it were my dog I would wait 24hrs to see if it passes as might have been something he ate that didn't agree with him and would feed him some pumpkin, but anything longer than that I would take him to the vet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Echo within the past 24 hours has had increasingly loose stools, culminating in almost completely liquid bowel movements. He is eating/drinking normally, and his behavior is still happy/energetic. I touched his abdomen in multiple places, and he didn't seem to have any sore/painful areas. However, when he is going to the bathroom, he seems to be straining to push anything out (small gelatinous globules do come out). Unusually, last night he had diarrhea in his crate (he couldn't seem to hold until I put my shoes on to take him outside). He did this again today while I was away from the house for an hour. I called my veterinarian and a secondary vet for insight, and was told to monitor the situation. I am worried by Echo's apparent lack of control, and the fact that he is straining to poop? Could he be straining because he is trying to get every last bit of diarrhea out? :confused: Any opinions or information would be extremely helpful!
Forgot to mention, last night he needed to poop every hour or so.
How old is echo?

If this has already been going on for 24 hours its time at the very least to be calling your vet to get their opinion if he should come NOW or give you additional symptoms to watch for and a timeline to wait it out.

I'd definitely be getting a doctor's opinion at this point!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would not adopt a wait and see approach, I would be headed to my vet right away. Take a fecal sample with you.

My last Dobe had similar symptoms when he was about a year old, and it turned out that he had SIBO (a bacterial overgrowth in the intestines). We were able to manage the disease quite well by immediately treating flare ups and careful monitoring of his stool, coat & body condition.

The last flare up he had we started him on his usual protocol (flagyl and injectable B12) only to find out the next week that it was NOT a flare up at all- he had developed a very aggressive, fast growing hemangiosarcoma that took his life.

So, straining and passing of mucus are not "wait and see" symptoms- I would call your vet and get an appointment.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I would not adopt a wait and see approach, I would be headed to my vet right away. Take a fecal sample with you.

My last Dobe had similar symptoms when he was about a year old, and it turned out that he had SIBO (a bacterial overgrowth in the intestines). We were able to manage the disease quite well by immediately treating flare ups and careful monitoring of his stool, coat & body condition.

The last flare up he had we started him on his usual protocol (flagyl and injectable B12) only to find out the next week that it was NOT a flare up at all- he had developed a very aggressive, fast growing hemangiosarcoma that took his life.

So, straining and passing of mucus are not "wait and see" symptoms- I would call your vet and get an appointment.
I agree that the straining, mucous, and lack of continence are all symptoms that go against "wait and see," and that goes double if this is either a young pup or an elderly dog. (Didn't see an age listed, sorry.)

In some cases, if it's just a bit of "soft-serve" or even rather liquid diarrhea, but the animal isn't passing mucous, and has bowel continence, otherwise acts fine, etc, I can see doing bland diet and just touching base with your vet---and I see you did already call them, that's good--BUT with these other symptoms, I'd want my dog seen.

Foreign objects can sometimes irritate the gut lining, and cause mucous production, just as an example of one scary scenario, and there is such a thing as hemorrhagic enteritis, which starts out as liquid and mucous usually, and progresses to what it sounds like--bloody diarrhea that is life-threatening.

Not trying to freak you, just a heads up, and hope your dogger is okay.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree that the straining, mucous, and lack of continence are all symptoms that go against "wait and see," and that goes double if this is either a young pup or an elderly dog. (Didn't see an age listed, sorry.)

In some cases, if it's just a bit of "soft-serve" or even rather liquid diarrhea, but the animal isn't passing mucous, and has bowel continence, otherwise acts fine, etc, I can see doing bland diet and just touching base with your vet---and I see you did already call them, that's good--BUT with these other symptoms, I'd want my dog seen.

Foreign objects can sometimes irritate the gut lining, and cause mucous production, just as an example of one scary scenario, and there is such a thing as hemorrhagic enteritis, which starts out as liquid and mucous usually, and progresses to what it sounds like--bloody diarrhea that is life-threatening.

Not trying to freak you, just a heads up, and hope your dogger is okay.
I missed the part that you already called you're vet. I'm shocked they told you to wait. I suggested phoning them because I was certain they would recommend you come in so he could be examined.

Thinking of you and Echo!

·
Super Moderator
22,921 Posts
I would go in...not something to mess around with and I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend that.

Reactions: Adara

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I would go in...not something to mess around with and I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend that.
As my doc always says, "Someone has to graduate at the bottom of the class." :lol2:

OP, don't know your vet, just making a joke.

How's your pup doing now?

·
Super Moderator
22,921 Posts
Update?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey everybody,
Sorry I haven't been on to post a reply, it has been a hectic few days. Well, let me start off by saying that I did take all of your advice. Almost immediately after signing off of DT, I called the closest vet and arranged for Echo to be seen. The vet did a quick examination and determined that Echo had a slight blockage (any blockage is a bad blockage, right?). He assured me that it probably wasn't an issue, and that the blood and mucous were just by-products of the blockage. He then proceeded to give Echo a shot of antibiotics, and told me to monitor his bowel movements. I immediately left that vet clinic and called one of the referral hospitals that I had researched online. They told me to bring Echo in immediately. This vet took x-rays and informed me that Echo had colitis. He administered a round of fluid therapy and told me to restrict Echo's diet to rice and ground meat (I asked about venison and he told me that the low fat content would be good for Echo's diet). He said to wait a few days to see if this helped solidify Echo's poop. So far, I have seen only a slight change in consistency (it has become slightly more solid).
Are both of these vets incompetent? Should I go see yet another vet for a third opinion?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Unfortunately, the medical field isn't an exact science, but rather educated guesses from symptoms, diagnostics.

It's a toss-up which vet of the last two vets to take him back, too, for me.

Have you monitored his bowel movements to see if he passed anything that could have been partially blockinghim?

Is he still having uncontrolled bowel movements that are urgent where he can't wait?

Are you feeding mostly rice with some venison? It wouldn't hurt to add a tablespoon of Greek yogurt and a couple of tablespoons of canned plain pumpkin, sweet potatoes, yams, or cooked winter squash.

How is your boy acting? Is he still acting fine?

Exactly when did the vet that did the xrays see him? I think I would take him back before the weekend.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Since there has been only marginal--if any--improvement, yeah, I'd want him seen again.

Blockages of any kind can mean dying gut tissue--which I'm sure you understand can be fatal--and the longer the time passes, if surgery is indicated, the more gut you lose, which makes his prognosis for full recovery less and less.

If he has already passed whatever it is/was, and simply is dealing with the gut damage caused by this, I'd still want to make sure he's getting fluids and on the right abs to help his gut heal.

Best vibes, please let us know how he's doing as you are able.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Until we found a food that set well on our girl's stomach, she had these kinds of symptoms often. We would go to the vet, get antibiotics and a probiotic powder to add to her food. The vet told us the yogurt we eat may be somewhat helpful, but dogs have different natural bacteria in their gut. At about 9 months old we finally put her on Nutro Venison. We had tried EVERYTHING else. Acana, Wellness, Blue.... Nutro completely cleared up her stomach problems and her dry skin. We also only give her natural treat with no chicken. She LOVE cow trachea!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey everybody,

I'm really sorry I haven't replied in so many days, these snowstorms have made power/internet access sporadic :crash2: .
Anyway, I did take all your advice and started adding Greek yogurt and plain pumpkin to Echo's food. I also scheduled Echo an appointment to see another veterinarian that Friday evening. However, before Friday evening came around, Echo's poop began to solidify! I called the vet to see if I should still bring Echo in, and was told to just monitor Echo (the vet thought he was doing better).
I am happy/relieved to say that Echo seems to be 100% better! He no longer strains to poop, and his stools are rock solid. I am still monitoring his bowel movements, and I am also looking into new types of food for him. Thank you all so much for your advice, opinions, and kind words. They really were an integral part in my decision making, and consequently, in Echo's recovery! :thanx:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts