Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd had Golden Retrievers for over 20 years but lost my 9 year old in early January to cancer. With my kids out of the house, this crushed me more than any previous dog loss. I'd wanted a Doberman for years and three days after the death of my Golden, got Fritz from Kimbertal Kennels in Kimberton, PA. Here's[URL="http://www.kimbertal.com/dog/787"] his ad from the kennel. (The kennel named him "Lancer" but I changed it to "Fritz").

He was five months old. The story I got from the breeder was that he had been purchased by an older couple. When he began to grow, they decided he was too much to handle and took him back.

Knowing how much it must have hurt to have had a home and then, for reasons he couldn't understand, being abandoned, I felt sorry for him. I also liked the idea of not having to do ear taping as I would with a younger puppy.

I bonded with him immediately but the first month was horrible. His digestive system was a wreck and he'd forgotten any training and housebreaking that he'd gotten when he was returned to the kennel.

But now, five months later, we're coming along. He's huge--over 90 lbs at this point--but there's not an ounce of fat on him. He's out of European lines--here's his dad. Of course he's smart as a whip. Joining a local dog park was the best $50 I've ever spent. Not only is he able to burn off that boundless puppy energy, but has made great strides in socialization with other dogs and people. Here's Fritz at the park getting double teams by a couple of bulldogs.

Living with a Doberman is certainly a more intense experience than having Golden Retrievers. But every day is a blast.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Welcome, also from Carlisle (very nearby anyway)!

I'll warn you that there are a lot of strong opinions on Kimbertal around here, as they've developed sort of a nasty reputation. My Kaiser is from a breeder with a similarly poor reputation, which may not bode well for his long-term health, but I love him all the same :)

Sorry about the loss of your Golden, but congrats on your new boy. Good luck and welcome again!

ETA: Which dog park are you a part of?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, also from Carlisle (very nearby anyway)!

I'll warn you that there are a lot of strong opinions on Kimbertal around here, as they've developed sort of a nasty reputation. My Kaiser is from a breeder with a similarly poor reputation, which may not bode well for his long-term health, but I love him all the same :)

Sorry about the loss of your Golden, but congrats on your new boy. Good luck and welcome again!
I know what you mean about Kimbertal. I did research first and the opinions were all over the place. I wasn't really happy that they'd sold a puppy to an older couple who wasn't really prepared to deal with a physically strong and strong willed dog, but he's worked out great other than recurring digestive problems (he says, lighting a candle as the dog naps next to his desk). But he's otherwise healthy, at least so far.

If you're in the area, you ought to check out the Carlisle Area Dog Park. Right now there's a single area shared by big and little dogs at different times of the day but by the end of the summer there will be a big dog area that will be several fenced acres. Here's a clip of Fritz and his best friend--an Australian Cattle Dog mix--at the park.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Hi from central PA.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome to DT!

I watched the video of him playing. He seems like a sweetheart :) However, I do disagree that he doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. You should be able to see his last rib when he flexes and also a bit of a tuck up. I think he would look much healthier if he lost 5-10 lbs.

Also, are you aware of the male-male aggression issues in the Doberman breed? As he reaches sexual maturity (18 - 24 months old) he will most likely become intolerant of other male dogs and will not be dog park material. This isn't a training issue, but something that seems to be hardwired in the breed.

Have fun with Fritz (I love his name)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, are you aware of the male-male aggression issues in the Doberman breed? As he reaches sexual maturity (18 - 24 months old) he will most likely become intolerant of other male dogs and will not be dog park material. This isn't a training issue, but something that seems to be hardwired in the breed.

Have fun with Fritz (I love his name)!
I thought neutering was supposed to circumvent that.

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
I thought neutering was supposed to circumvent that.
No, it doesn't. Same-sex aggression is common in the breed, and is not changed whether your dog (or the other males) are neutered or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts