Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This started Monday.

Sunday night I spent the night at my dads. We had steaks and Stella got quite a few pieces of steak. (I normally give her meat when we grill, and she has had people food since I adopted her, like rice, beans, french fries etc)

She has been on Blue Buffalo senior diet food with one chondroitin pill, one fish oil pill and .75 of a proin pill (per the vet's orders). usually the chondroitin pill is coated in peanut butter and we add about a teaspoon of olive oil. she gets this at 7 am and 7pm every day.

since I’ve known her (2006), she has always eaten rather vigorously and quickly. her food usually lasts less than 1 minute in the bowl. with her age, I have noticed she had been eating somewhat slower, but never left any food behind.

a few months ago she got a teeth cleaning. that was the first time I saw her eat slowly and leave some kibble. I had to soak it in warm water (I assume her teeth hurt after the cleaning) then she went back to normal within a week.

this week, she has been fairly disinterested in her food. she doesn’t eat it instantly every time. Monday she let it sit a few hours, Tuesday she ate both times instantly, yesterday she ate instantly, and today I got home at 3 and found remnants of breakfast (which she ate while i was cooking).

my theory was that maybe her teeth hurt, so I soaked her food in water the last 2 times she left food. she did eat it, but not with any enthusiasm.

She has no problem eating my food though. I just made pork chops and gave her some pieces with pretty hard cartilage on them and she chewed through them and would have eaten more if I gave it to her.

she has been drinking plenty of water and isn’t lethargic or sad.

so could this be a symptom of a health problem?

or is she just getting squirrelly in her old age?
(possibly because of me giving her rib eye chunks)

Thanks

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I would have your vet check her teeth over. But.....steak, pork chops. What dog wants to eat BB after this? The girl likes her meat! LOL

She has no problem eating my food though. I just made pork chops and gave her some pieces with pretty hard cartilage on them and she chewed through them and would have eaten more if I gave it to her.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Regarding the teeth: if you're going to have a dental done, make sure she's started on antibiotics before it's done and kept on for a week or ten days after. If she is not a candidate for cleaning, I would suggest she be started on antibiotics and be given a big, fat, juicy , RAW steer knuckle bone for short (increasingly longer) periods of time a couple of times a day and see if she can clean up her own mouth by gnawing.

Regarding the kibble: I like several things about Blue... they choose decent ingredients and seem to have decent manufacturing processes. That said, the formulation of the senior kibble is HORRIBLE! It is based on old, bad research done on geriatric rats and which should never have been applied to the feeding of carnivores. As dogs age, they become less efficient at metabolizing protein and begin to sort of waste some... as a result, the protein requirement of senior dogs increases. The Blue senior kibble is pathetically deficient in protein. If you want to stick to this brand, I would suggest Blue Wilderness Large Breed if your dog could lose a pound or two, and regular Blue Wilderness (chicken, duck or salmon... or, rotate between them) if her weight is good and she shouldn't lose any.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took her to the vet again today, started her on antibiotics prior to getting her teeth cleaned. thanks for the advice. all bloodwork and urinalysis came back peachy

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Excellent that tests came out so well and that your vet was willing to start meds up front! I hope she comes through the cleaning fine and feels better soon. If she is willing to do so, once her mouth feels better, time gnawing on a fresh raw knuckle bone a couple of times a week may prevent her from ever having to have a cleaning again.

Have you gotten her off of the Blue senior and on to something higher protein?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got her a bag blue buffalo large breed adult fish and oatmeal . i have to mix ground meat into it for her to eat though (and her medicine)

ill look into the beef knuckles as soon as she gets better

thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So her teeth were cleaned yesterday and all looks likes its well. the infection in her gums is cleared up and they didnt have to extract any teeth. Shes been eating innova and blue buffalo canned food for the past couple of days and seemed pretty eager to eat again yesterday. She was able to find her bowl and eat while still groggy from the anesthesia.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So glad she's doing so well! I'm guessing that you're shopping for food at Petsmart... yes? If so, take a look at the Innova Prime. It is much higher protein than the regular Innova, and is a better food. It comes in three flavors (poultry, fish and red meat), and I am sure that Stella would like it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts