Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do u do this

I get a long leash, make the dog sit, down or w.e and put my hand in its face open palmed and say stay! then walk back wards slowly for about 5secs. then reward then gradually increase time and distance

how do u do this?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Lol. Good question. Gracie isn't perfect at stay! She needs to see the front of us at all times. She gets upset when we put her in a down and tell her to stay.

When we were training her we used a 30 foot lead, put her in a down position and walked away from her. Every time she got up we tried again. After so long you just give up on it I guess. I have been trying to work with her on it all the time. So far I haven't gotten very far. :(

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'll put her in a stay(off leash) and I've gradually increased my steps away from her and the time by ten seconds. If she goes to move, I'll lean towards whichever way she's moving and do a 'body block'. She'll go right back into place after that. I don't know if we'll ever make it up to a long stay though. lol I don't think she can stand being still for more than a minute.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yup, just start out having your doberkid stay just in front of you, then a step away, then two steps, so on and so forth. Just be gradual, better to go super slow and have the dog master it then to go to far and have them come out of the stay and fail. Always set them up to succeed (sp??) so that that is the only option in their mind.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I remember way long ago when I started ob with Storm our instructor had us have them in a heel (ie. sitting on our left) we then told them to stay (was taught that the "stay" command is the only one where the dogs name doesn't preceed [or is it proceed?] the command) and then we would just pivot in front of them. Basically our knees were touching their noses and they had no choice but to stay and then after all of 2 seconds we praised and released them. We gradually increased time and distance. Worked well for us then and so far so good now with our 12 wk old (today is her birthday :).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tracy's advice is dead on - is the easiest way I've found to train for stay. It's how I have all my classes get started, and have never seen it fail. When you pivot in front of them, you get their attention and are right on top of them to stop any movement. Then immediately back and "good dog!". Don't start moving away - even 1 foot - until you can pivot in front of them with no reaction from the dog. Then gradually start moving away (keeping the leash in your hand). Biggest problem most people have is going too far too fast.
Once you can get a distance away for a good period of time, here's a good "proofing" method. You need a small mirror and two rooms separated by a doorway. Position the mirror when it can be seen from both rooms. Put the dog on a down stay, walk into the other room and watch the dog in the mirror. As soon as the dog starts to get up, yell NO! and storm back into the room, putting the dog back in the exact same spot, back on down stay. Leave the room again, watching the mirror. Most dogs wonder how in the blazes you knew they got up, and start to think you just always know what they're doing. My current dobe, however, learned to watch ME in the mirror. They're a bit TOO smart sometimes. Is a safe, easy method of teaching your dog it has to behave even if you're not in sight. Good luck! Carol

·
Registered
421 Posts
I couldn't teach stay with a leeash because than he only stayed when the leash was on! I just gradually increased the time and distance between us. When we were working on obedience a lot he would stay just sitting by himself forever but I don't know anymroe,I haven't been keeping up!

·
Registered
416 Posts
When I was teaching trinity I learned very quickly that some dogs when you are teaching this 2 you need to say it more then once when you are backing up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try this, ok heres the tree O and heres your dog X

O
. X

U

ok they are facing down screen, stretch your leash behind the tree then back in fron where u stand U. so when u tell him to stay and u walk away if he gets up and u pull the leash it pulls him backwards instead of forwards

·
Registered
416 Posts
I was always told that the dog needs to be facing you when you tell him to stay and then he should still be facing you when your walking away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts