Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter, Morgan, is 12 and wants to get started in Jr handling. We have an one of Old Drum's puppies and Ali is planning to show her. Morgan has only had one conformation class, but has been practicing at home with Stella for a couple of weeks. Our trainer recommended going to a "practice" show that is this weekend just for experience. It is a sanctioned match, so no points or anything. Morgan does pretty well with Stella, and is TOTALLY aware that it will probably be a disaster because they are both brand new to the ring. She plans on working with an older, retired dog to learn the ropes, but is very excited about the opportunity to show "her" puppy. Do you think we are jumping the gun by letting her go to this match? The trainer said it would be good, just to the the whole "first time jitters" out of the way. We tend to be a family that does things the hard way, jumping in and learning from our mistakes so that part won't be new to us! I'd love to hear thoughts from some of you more experience show folks. :) This will be our first show, so I'd also love to know what we need to do as far as grooming and preparation. Thanks in advance!
Amber

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I think it's great your daughter is going to show Stella! The puppy rings are always so much fun - they are all very much puppies about it. LOL :) I think it's a good way to start at a sanctioned match too - no points, just for fun.

For grooming, I'd probably give Ali a call and ask for tips. Good luck and take some pics to share! :)

Reactions: LindaH and jpickel

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
It's a great idea. You have to start somewhere, and it's usually easier to correct kids of habits than adults.

Imagine if Tiger Woods Dad didn't start him playing golf at young age, he would never have achieved as much as he did.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts