Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Phoenix just turned 11months old and has never been to training classes mainly because he has done absolutely everything that I have asked. Well I heard about A Dog training club in my area and I went to check out the classes and I am so excited now! At first I wanted to go agility but you need to start off at bottom and work your way up to the agility class.(and agility is not going on right now) After watching the classes I would love to take the obedience classes. We start class in May! There were some awesome people there getting ready for shows and of course I talked to the dobie owner :)
I have been training phoenix at my house, dog park and stores like petsmart(not petsmart classes) but I am very excited to get with a trainer and learn more.

For the agility people...When you do agility do you give your dog any kind of suppliment for joints (or anything)? I know he runs at park like mad man but I am just curious.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I hope classes go well! I've always liked training classes. It's a new environment, new people, new dogs, and it's great for bonding.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Awesome! You'll have lots of fun. I got my dog's hips xrayed and OFA'd (since he was already 3) before we started agility and he's always had glucosamine and chondritin supplements. Not the nicest of hip supplements, but should be better than nothing.... I think. If I had gotten my dog from an ethical breeder and knew his parent's hip results, I don't know if I would have felt the need to xray them before I started jumping him, though. Especially because a lot of the strain seems to be on his front assembly, even more so because he has a very forward and straight front. :(

·
joie de vivre
11,294 Posts
Awesome! You guys will have so much fun. Agility is addictive and Dobes are just so much fun to train in general.

IME, my Dobes have always been the little stars of their classes. As well as the little scene stealers. LOL They know they're cute and they know how to use it!

For the agility people...When you do agility do you give your dog any kind of suppliment for joints (or anything)? I know he runs at park like mad man but I am just curious.
I don't really supplement my dogs. I feed them a good, high calorie kibble and mix in chicken breast and cottage cheese and they both get fish oil and vitamin E twice a day. That's it.

I'm of the mind that it makes a bigger difference if you keep them in good physical condition (and their bodies will hold up better than if they're out of shape) than all the supplements in the world. Of course supplements don't hurt, but I don't think supplements will undo the negative effects of an out of shape dog.

Mangujowa makes a good point about structure and checking hips & elbows if you think it might be an issue. I haven't had either of my dogs OFA'd because the dogs in their pedigrees all have at minimum 'good' rated hips and elbows so it would be a fluke if either of them were to have poor hips. But if I had a dog with an unknown health background, I'd definitely have them OFA'd first. Agility is extremely physically demanding and can cause a lot of injuries for structurally unsound dogs.

My big things for agility are: I keep them trim, I let them warm up with some running before training, and I rub them down after training.

ETA...And proper form for jumps and equipment, which should all be taught in your flat work and foundation agility classes. You definitely don't want to just set your dog loose on an agility course and let them fling themselves all over the equipment. Leaving equipment wrong or throwing themselves over jumps rather than properly driving from the rear can hurt a dog.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I agree with brw.

Foundation training in agility is very important, the obstacles are the easy part to teach, it's the foundation, handling and groundwork skills that you need to put a lot of effort into (unfortunately this stuff isn't as "sexy" as teaching obstacles!). With big, long striding dogs like Dobes, it's especially important to teach them how to jump properly instead of just throwing them at hurdles and going "cool - he jumped it!"

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Have fun with the training I hope when you get to the point you will LOVE agility it really is fun.

Soon I plan to OFA Jonesy's Hips/Elbows but I have been putting it off I need to do it though...

As for supplements I give nothing, and agree with BRW always warm your dog up with a light jog, and don't try to stretch them like you would yourself (a canine massage therapist said that was probably one of the worst things ever)

Keep them lean, feed good food, and keep them in shape = good agility shape :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'd add that it is equally as important to cool down as warm up. we have a rule we aren't allowed to STOP and caht after a run as much as we might want to :) We have to walk the dogs and let them cool down first then stop and chat :)

The only thing I give is Fish Oil. I do give Dasequin to my older Vizlsa. Started at about 8.5.

Flirt's hips were xrayed before we started jumping not because of agility. She went through a long bout of pano and I was freaekd out so asked for xrays of the full back end and spine :) I prefer to xray my dogs though at some point before getting into competing, etc.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I give my dogs fish oil and they eat raw. I jump Kyrah preferred 20" meaning she should jump 24" AKC and 26" USDA.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone! Really appreciate the feedback! He is currently on Taste of the Wild and I consider that to be good food. He gets plenty of exercise and I try to keep him as active as possible. I look forward to giving class updates in may!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts