Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone here is aware of how beautiful (and hot) the weather has been lately. I'm on kind of a hiatus from work so I could tend to Stalin the first week in the house. Eventually though, I would like to take him to the beach.

Traditionally, are these guys good swimmers? Do you find that you'll have to chain them up to a tree, even whilst laying on your towel taking in the sun?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm not quite sure why I'm entertaining this topic, but here goes... Your biggest concern at the beach with your blood thirsty mankiller will be his lack of socialization and possible aggression to other beach goers. However, providing you train and socialize your dog to be one that is safe for society, your biggest concern would then be the heat and hot sand. Chi loves, loves, loves the beach and ocean. She splashes more than she swims, but swims well when she needs to (heaven forbid the cherished frisbee lands in the deep water, she'd swim to China to retrieve it!) I try to take her in the evenings and first thing in the morning though before the sand gets too hot.
Many of our members here take their dogs to beaches. In fact, one has life jackets for her two Dobergirls.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
And if you get him socialized good enough, don't forget that they like to drink the water. It helps them real good. Make sure he gets a good lap before you get him home.

·
Registered
880 Posts
DreamDoby said:
And if you get him socialized good enough, don't forget that they like to drink the water. It helps them real good. Make sure he gets a good lap before you get him home.

not salt water though... if you're spending a day at the beach, make sure to bring some bottled fresh water for the dog if there isn't any access to fresh water at the beach

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Add me to the pups have lifejackets ranks! Rommel and Piper both got one on Friday before we went to the lake. It changed Rommels whole perspective on water! He was swimming all over the place with the life jacket on, it was so cute! And he stood up on the front of the boat like he was king....I wish I would have brought my camera.

Rommel used to hate water, now he loves it, I dont know what changed...maybe because there is no waves at the lake???? He likes to hop through it like a bunny though.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
BackInBlack said:
Add me to the pups have lifejackets ranks! Rommel and Piper both got one on Friday before we went to the lake. It changed Rommels whole perspective on water! He was swimming all over the place with the life jacket on, it was so cute! And he stood up on the front of the boat like he was king....I wish I would have brought my camera.

Rommel used to hate water, now he loves it, I dont know what changed...maybe because there is no waves at the lake???? He likes to hop through it like a bunny though.
I'm sure he was adorable doing his "I'm king of the world!!!" impression - You realize though, we will have to think of some sort of punishment. You've committed a high crime by going out to the lake and on a boat without the camera!!!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
:( Ut oh, Im in trouble! I knew I was in for it when I posted that, haha. We had so much fun though. I will be sure to at least get a picture of them in their life vests, they are so cute :D

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You know BIB, that sounds like a promise. :dancing_b

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Do you find that you'll have to chain them up to a tree, even whilst laying on your towel taking in the sun?
If you are near the tree you could...or you could hold onto the leash the whole time...if you wanted to be in full sun...but remember it gets hot for a dog even just laying down in the sun...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts