Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2yo dobe has a stage 1 heart murmur..from what i am hearing most dogs can live their whole life and be perfectly fine with this condition...next month we are getting an Ekg, ultrasound and bloodwork to find out exactly whats causing it and to see if he needs medication to help.

Anyone have any feedback or experience with this? im just a little nervous.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My girl has a leaky mitral valve that causes a bit of a murmur, but it has remained constant... it was found when she was about the same age as your girl, and she is eight now.

I know of one person who has lost two Doberman bitches to mitral valve disease, but those are the only two Dobermans I have ever heard of... obviously, it can happen but I suspect it is exceedingly rare.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not sure if this relates to your Dobe, but my Min Pin was diagnosed with a Heart Murmur when he was 10 years-old. He'll turn 16 this December and his heart is still beating strong. Of course, he's been on heart medication throughout, which occasionally has to be adjusted when the murmur gets worse.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My blue male had a Grade 1 heart murmur from age 4 to 9 1/2 when he passed from osteosarcoma. It never changed in all those years and he remained totally active. Hope yours is similar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts