Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mensa'a Breeder asked if I could e-mail her a picture of Mensa "stacked".

I know how she's supposed to stand, but I can't get her to do it long enough to get a picture.

She (Mensa) knows I want her to do something, but she isn't sure what it is. She is so funny, she goes through all her "tricks". She sits, lays down, then sits again, all in rapid succession.

I don't know how to explain to her all I want her to do is stand there. Mensa's very easy to train so it looks like the weak-link here is me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If I get a photo of Mensa stacked, I'll post it here.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
The first thing you need to Chaz is get her to stand still,but you must tell her what you want her to do,so hold a treat in front of her and tell her stand then when she stands still for a few seconds reward her,then build it up till she will stand long enough,then place her feet and tell her stand,also you can place her leash under her neck to help keep her in place,but it isn't a quick fix you will have to build her up to it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Does she know "stand"? Basically like a sit stay...or down stay...but they are standing...and then they should allow you to adjust them the way you want them...
Duchess is a rock at doing them. Do you have someone to take the picture for you while you get her in the position?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Check out this site, is can give you some pointers and tricks that might work for you and your dog. http://www.breedered.com/article_menu.htm

I find teaching the stand/stay is helpful and I put one finger (the pointer finger) out like I have a special bait in my hand so my dogs have a hand signal as well as a voice command, lets them know to watch me and free stack/stay pretty and let me move them into position if needed. It takes lots of practice, I have found a mirror is most helpful. I also play the “catch it” game for ears up and nice attention.
If you watch her around the yard when is alert and at attention she might do a lovely free stack and you could take a picture of that and send it.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I start my stacking the day they come home at 8 weeks, so it is a gradual thing. "STAND" is one of the first things they learn and I always worked with them at meal time until they would stack for their dinner :)

Teaching a solid stand is your first hurdle, then "stand stay". I work from their side when stacking so that they are used to me being there. I also hold them by the underside of their muzzle .... with a little bit of cheek in my grip to. I can do so much just from holding on to their cheek and underjaw and moving them where I want. It usually only takes a little bit of tweeking to get them where I want. Lots of praise and small little bits of treats while you are working with them.

It is not as easy as it looks huh??! I'm trying to teach my 10 year old daughter how to stack a dog ......... it is not that easy!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help, I see what I need to do now.

You're right, Velmadobe. It's NOT as easy as it looks.

Brumwolf, I never thought of choosing a word to tell her it's time to "stack".

Lapdog, she does know "get up", which means "stand up", but that's as far as it goes.

Part of my problem stems from Mensa never learning "stay". To Mensa, "sit" or "lay down" means "sit AND stay" or "lay down AND stay". She knows she is expected to either sit or lay down until she gets the "OK". So now I see how I need to teach her "stay".

D & D, thanks for that link. There's tons of good info there, I'll be using that reference over and over. I have tried to sneak up on her with the camera when she's looking alert watching the neighbor's St Bernards. But she sees me and forgets about looking sharp, then thinks it's play time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I think the best thing to do if you want to learn how to stack a puppy is to find a handling class, or get someone who knows how to show you in person..it's VERY easy to create some training issues that prevent the dog from looking it's best when it's stacked when you don't know what you're doing.

Group handling classes are great for socialization as well as learning about how to stack a dog..and in this area, they're usually pretty cheap. When I was taking a puppy to them, it was $1.00/night per dog.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Gosh Murreydobe, that was a steal!
Here it costs 10.00 per session (hour class) where we go, three hours away it is about the same, only they offer a whole 8 week session rather than drop in basis classes. Not too bad.

Another idea is to have an expert stack her for you, so you don't have to learn if that is not something you are interested in doing.
But you can still teach the stand stay just for fun if you wanted, or for training as the obedience ring requires a stand/stay for exam. =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts