Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well Everyone, Nikita has earned the right to be allowed un-crated when unsupervised in the house now. She has shown alot of responsibility in the last few months and I might add, has matured alittle too. So as most of you know, I'm the Bad Dad that doesn't let her on the furniture or even sleep in bed with us. That has still not changed.

On this special occasion, though, she now has her very own couch/bed, that used to be where her crate was. The crate was moved to another room, until its needed again. She now lounges on this when ever she wants and is sleeping on it at night. It arrived Friday night, so we thought, lets let her have it now....Still deciding where it will finally end up, but she's enjoying it now.

Nighty-Night from Nikita...... BTW-still waiting for the Monogrammed pillows to show up. I'll find that out early in the week.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
great pics yet again, i see you starting to give in to dobe pressure slowly,
we might remove the bad dad tag.:)
Niki looks a lot warmer than the other day.:cool2:

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lexus said:
Does the outer cover zip off for cleaning?
Yes it does. There is also a nice pad/pillow that makes up the middle of the bed which is kinda large for the washer. Might have to send that out for dry cleaning......

·
Registered
602 Posts
Knowing dobies...she's loving it!!

Where might one get one of those beds?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I will have to show this to the other half, he to will not let the future dobe up on sofa or bed, very good alternative. This would make me feel that I would be making a good compromise. Speaking of this, my Shiz tzu shares the sofa with us when the new puppy comes home I would like to keep puppy off the furniture, but do you think I could keep the Shiz tzu (Bandit) up on the sofa ? A) She is 13 and I feel will need somewhere to get away from the pup.
B) Is use to being there, if I kick her off all of a sudden, plus bring a pup home....

Do you think this will teach the new one to think the sofa is o.k. or can I keep her down and let Bandit up without a problem ??

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
I will have to show this to the other half, he to will not let the future dobe up on sofa or bed, very good alternative. This would make me feel that I would be making a good compromise. Speaking of this, my Shiz tzu shares the sofa with us when the new puppy comes home I would like to keep puppy off the furniture, but do you think I could keep the Shiz tzu (Bandit) up on the sofa ? A) She is 13 and I feel will need somewhere to get away from the pup.
B) Is use to being there, if I kick her off all of a sudden, plus bring a pup home....

Do you think this will teach the new one to think the sofa is o.k. or can I keep her down and let Bandit up without a problem ??
I have this same issue. It's not really a problem for Petri - a 13lb Chihuahua-mix- to be on the furniture and we've always allowed him up there. However, it is a problem having Chihiro on the furniture most of the time. So far we've not had problems letting one up and keeping the other one off - other than more than a few looks of indignation :) Chi likes to play with Petri and sometimes gets a bit too rough. The sofa is kind of like his "safe" place. I do though, on occassion, let Chi get up on the sofa though. We're working on the "by invite only" thing :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think if you're fine with Bandit being on the sofa, then let her stay on the sofa and keep the dobie off. I mean I speak from experience, once that doberbutt hits the sofa, there's no going back!! But they don't really operate under the way of thinking "But NO FAIR, Bandit gets on the couch", the rules just are what they are, if the new pup never gets on the couch, then she'll never think "I wish I was on the couch".

LOL, talk about biased, I did let Lex on the couch, but not my other two dogs at any time, now I'm trying to work on keeping her off the couch. We also worked the "by invite" only thing, and she will position herself in front of the TV and stare at me for an hour waiting for her invite. When I pretend not to notice her, she will "clack", that is snap at the air repeatedly, and spin in circles. If I had to give this act a name----TEMPER TANTRUM :)

Heheh, after all this talk, we look forward the all the pics of your new doberkid stretched out on the couch, and you and hubby squeezed in the corners of the edges of the couch, huh TracyJo?!! Resolve out the window!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I agree with Lexus, If they on not on the couch in the first place, they have nothing to miss. Once they are on the couch, its harder to stay off the couch. Being the Bad Dad I am, we never have allowed any dog of ours on the 2nd floor of the house. With Nikita, we do the same, she never has been invited up there. When we go up there, she waits for us at the bottom until we come down. Never needed a gate or anything to keep her down. If she never experienced it in the first place, they don't miss it.

In your case, it will probably help in establishing the pack order with the existing dog. The older one gets on the couch but not me, Bandit is higher ranked than me. We do this with our cats, they always get feed first, get goodies first and poor Nikita has to wait her turn. Now, Nikita does not bother the cats at all. Our oldest cat, a little 6 pound female, will stand right up to Nikita and hiss at her, Nikita walks away and whines. I do believe she sees the cats are higher than her in the pack.....

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Thanks alot for the info. guy's. I know what you mean about the sitting in front of the t.v. for hours. I once tried to keep Bandit off the couch, she would go and sit in the middle of the room and just stare at me, sulking. I could not stand it anymore and she ended up winning.
Ray has to sit on the chair now because me, Bandit and the cat have the sofa. I think it's funny, he does not!! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts