Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, Nyx was in the yard and kept squatting, but not peeing, she was nearly dragging her butt along the ground, frantic. If I were to guess, I'd say she must have squatted at least 15 times. She has an appt with the vet tomorrow, but I figured I'd ask you all what you thought, so I'd have a base to discuss with the vet.

I've had a house guest (evil ex mother in law) since Thursday, and both the dogs have been exhibiting distress behavior (peeing on floors, being extremely velcroey and separation anxiety when Nyx can't see me). I thought the peeing thing might be that, but I made the appointment anyway, she's due for a check soon.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Not being able to pee can be very dangerous toxins can build up if a really bad UTI it can be very painful if not peeing at all take her to the ER vet as soon as possible do not wait.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If this has continued and Nyx has not managed to urinate, then I agree that this is an emergency and she should be seen immediately and not wait for her appointment.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Sounds like a UTI

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, new vet. I really like him a lot. He doesn't think it's a UTI, she hasn't repeated the same behavior. He said if she repeats it, let him know ASAP.

She does have vaginitis, likely related to the incontinence. We discussed spaying her and he agreed that waiting until after her first heat would be best, for both the vaginitis and the incontinence. So, in between the first and second, she'll get that done.

We discussed her history of being a rescue that was likely a BYB dog and we decided to restart all her vaccines in case she didn't have them at all. She goes back in 3 weeks for the finals.

She's healthy, happy and all our training on her face to face issues are gone, she got up close and personal with the vet, the vet tech and the tech who fitted her with her new "harness" for walking. She just gave them kisses, I was so proud of her!

So, now at 5.5 months, she's 50.4 lbs and 22".

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Puppy vaginitis is a pretty normal occurance as the flora which need to colonize the vaginal canal get established. It prolly hurts some and it prolly itches some, and it could account for her behavior (the squatting and not peeing) if she was confused by sensation.

At her age, a single modified live viral vaccine should confer immunity. Even had she not received prior vaccines, she should be O.K. If you're curious, you could have titers run in a couple of weeks to see if she has mounted a response. It will be more expensive than re-vaccinating, but possibly healthier for your pup. Additionally, all of the dogs that come through the rescues with which I am familiar have been vaccinated (usually, over-vaccinated)... if she's a rescue, did you not get documentation?

Your vet advising you to not spay before her first season gave you excellent advice! I wish more vets were as conscientious.

I hadn't realized she has issues with incontinance, as well (must have missed a thread)... this is incontinance for real, and not submissive peeing? If this is true, even if your vet does not suspect that she has a UTI, I would ask that a culture and sensitivity test be run. Unless you are under obligation to spay her, I would think twice about spaying a pup at all that was already incontinant unless it was due to a UTI or something else correctable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
She wasn't rescued through an organization and getting info from the woman who had her was like pulling teeth, most of it was lies anyway.

Her incontinence is immature bladder and immature dog related. She doesn't take the time to empty her bladder while playing so when she takes her naps, she relaxes completely and leaks (one drop at a time). It's getting better as she gets older.

At night she's fine because I put up her water bowl at 9pm and she gets her last little walk right before bed.

Tonight, she peed 3 times on the floor, so I have proof there's no blockage LOL Fireworks + immature bladder!

I love this vet, he took the time to talk with me, and explained everything instead just stating his position and he LISTENED to me.

I don't have to get her spayed, but I would rather not attract every male in the neighborhood, increase her chance of cancer and have to continue to turn down fosters for intact males. His position on the spay was due to both vaginitis and incontinence. He said that while spaying may or may not help incontinence, it would cause bigger problems with recurring vaginitis if she didn't have a heat first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts