Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do dogs respond to airborne allergens? its spring time in Texas and my eyes are watering and Ive noticed Stella coughing a couple of times in the past couple of days. both times she coughed maybe 4 or 5 times and then stopped. wonder if its allergies or something else....

any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,768 Posts
My impression is that a lot of the time dog's allergies show up in their skin--rashes, itchiness, skin infections, hair thinning and hair loss--foot licking, scratching, chewing......But that's just what I've seen in the dogs I've been around who I know have allergies. So I dunno.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
How old is she?

Coughing can be a sign of DCM, not allergies.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i forgot to mention this has happened before, idk if it was last year or longer than that. but i think it was in summer time also

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
maybe she ate a piece of grass and it tickled her throat.

but as mentioned a cough, especially in an older dog can be a symptom of a heart issue.

hope is was just a throat tickle and she is ok. otherwise

Hugz to Stella!

·
Registered
939 Posts
We have a Shiba who, like clockwork, starts sneezing, getting horrible eye boogers, itchy skin and generally lethargic when spring time rolls around. We give him pediatric benadryl per the vet. Poor guy :(

I don't think I've ever had coughing go along with the seasonal allergies, and its always all 4 symptoms at the same time.. thats how we know its time to bust out the cheese for pills.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Given her age and breed, I would speak to a cardiologist regarding DCM. Your regular vet will not be able to determine anything from a physical exam. There are many threads on this terrible disease.

I would recommend renting a holter moniter to check her heart function, as coughing is a very notable sign.

My dog has terrible allergies, but has never coughed because of them. I have also never heard of this as an allergy symptom.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
took her to the vet today and he found her to have a sore throat (bronchial inflammation and mucus) he gave her a shot and some prednisone pills. he said it was environmental, possibly from running around the horse farm at Doberfest in the dust and what not. ill be keeping her comfy and close for the next couple of weeks and hope she gets better soon.

thanks all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts