Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was about 5-6 weeks ago that Kylee was chasing a pesky squirrel in the backyard. The next day she came up limping. We have narrowed the injury to a toe. Vet check with x-rays were negative for a break. Vet suggested rest and rimadyl as needed. About 2 weeks after the initial injury, her nail developed a white streak. She is also on Duralactin, Pain Away (500mg each of glucosamine, msm, boswellia, devils claw root) and Ligaplex I. She gets massaged every other week, has had acupuncture and laser therapy since the toe injury. Short walks were OK'd but each time we do that she is will start limping again. The limp is severe when she first gets up but after say 20 or so steps she is walking normal.

Someone else suggested epsom salt and water soak, couldn't hurt. Any other suggestions/thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did the vet say what they thought the injury was with the toe? Any swelling at any of the joints in the toe? I'd be concerned about a torn ligament/s or maybe a bone chip. Soft tissue injuries can take a LONG time to heal up.

I've dealt with a million and one toe injuries with my whippets. Everything from torn ligaments to bone chips to soft tissue injuries. They all presented with swelling at the affected joint and pain upon manipulation. Bone chips can be hard to see so it might be worth having a board certified radiologist look at the rads.

For toe injuries we leash walk only (no long walks) for 6 weeks along with Rimadyl and laser therapy.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Have you tried chiropractic? If a vertebrae is out, it could be shooting referral pain down into the toe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts