Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Am new to this, so apologies if its not in the correct place!

I have a Doberman! nearly 18months old...

Only issue is that he has some spots under his mouth, which get very sore and often bleed.
We have been to the vets, they gave some medication, all worked, but caused him to lose his fur from his chest (around where the collar sits).

So we had to stop using the medication, now the spots have come back, the vet has only advised the same stuff - but we dont really want him to go bold again!

Anyone got any other advice/solutions to this?

Many thanks

Darron

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Change bowls to Stainless Steel. Wash them out with soap every day.
You can also put in some Colloidal Silver in the water bowl. We use Natures Antibiotic brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully attachment works!

They werent really sure,
it could be were he doesnt drink all the water (he dribbles alot!) hence causing these...
They also thought it could of been some form of infection..
no real certainty with anything though!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding bowls, he has a ceramic water bowl, but a plastic food bowl.
Will look into changing these soon then!
How come the bowls are the issue though?

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
It is the type of bowls that you are using. Stryker is correct, you should change to stainless and CLEAN them daily. See if that helps. The plastic and ceramic bowls hold more bacteria and a lot of dogs tend to have this type of reaction- its basically zits on the chin :p Be sure the wash the bowl after each use since your dog is sensitive.

Reactions: Tazer10

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
My female Lily has had these for years.
Basically acne.
When it's bad...I used to take a very fine needle....put in in a flame to make it clean. Then I would aspirate the spots with a lot of liquid and infection. That mean....make a tiny hole with the needle...then squeeze out the infection.
Then clean with cotton balls and dish detergent and rinse with water. You can put a thin....hardly any antibiotic ointment on top.....but I find it gets licked, eaten off quickly. Most importantly .....keep it dry. Colloidal silver is also great to swab the chin with after you've popped, cleaned and dried the chin.
It's a natural antibiotic. People on here have mentioned that a food change has helped with this issue....but I just stay on top of her break outs if she has them. Which now are a lot less....
But I would not put your dog on meds unless the situation is really out of control. You pics shows a pretty good amount....but nothing I haven't seen and delt with ...with lily. It will bleed a bit....but once the infection is out....and the area cleaned and dried. It will start to heal.
PM me if you need any more instruction.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Clean gently and pat the dog's chin dry after every meal to remove food residue. You can also use something like Stridex acne pads to help clean and dry out sores.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Mine get those spots under the chin sometimes from "sucking blankets". You need to clean his mouth when he's done eating with a Gentle Antibacterial soap and dry it. That should help with the spots.

Reactions: Tazer10

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Thanks again :)
Will act upon all advice! and try to keep you all updated with progress :D

How long would you say it'll take, before I can visually notice the difference? (eg spots fading)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts