Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of bacterial infections that can cause extreme illness with extreme fever within a short period of time that has a 10-12 day incubation time? I say 10-12 day incubation, because we were at a dog show a week and a half before he got sick and I am guessing he may have picked something up from there.

I have a young male dobe, under 2, that went from being his energetic usual self to vomiting once and becoming extremely lethargic and confused within an hour. I took his temp, which was 104.7 and immediately rushed him over to the Universities emergency clinic. Once there, they took his temp again, which had then gone up to 105.7. They did a full work up on him and did a stomach xray, as they food he threw up was his breakfast and it had not been digested. They administered fluids and monitored his temp while waiting for results to come back. His temp slowly began to lower and the results that came back that evening were unremarkable, so they sent us home with a diagnosis of acute gastroenteritis, pending the remaining result which we would get at a follow up with his primary in the morning.

That night I monitored him and checked his temp hourly, around 4:30am his temp had risen to 105.8, which at that time I called the University back and was told to just keep an eye on him and that if his temp reached 106 then to bring him back.

The following morning, I called his primary to express my concern regarding his lingering fever and they noted that the only abnormal result was a low white blood cell count with a slightly elevated number of immature white blood cells. Because of this, she thought that this could be some type of tick born disease and asked us to come in for a SNAP tests, and to put him on antibiotics. Upon getting him to the clinic, the immediately performed the SNAP test followed by checking his temp again, which at this point had now risen to 107.2 according to one thermometer and 106.8 on another. The techs immediately placed an IV and proceeded to administer fluids along with cool packing him while his vet called to the University to let them know we would be returning.

Once his temp was down under 105.5 we headed back over to the University where he was admitted into ICU and spent the following 3 days. Within 8 hours of IV fluid and antibiotic administration, his temp returned to normal and he stabilized, however, he was not out of the woods yet, because his primary did not realize that the low white blood cell count was actually so low it was at a critical state.

Many test, xrays, and ultrasounds later, the only abnormalities found were his white blood cell count and a caudodorsal interstitial pattern in his lungs, comparable to that of allergic bronchitis or the onset of pneumonia. A couple of other things that were noted, but the doctors found to be irrelevant were that the abdominal xray showed a smaller than normal liver, but all of his liver and pancreatic values came back normal, and the chest xray showed left ventricular enlargement, but no murmur or further evidence of heart failure was present.

That being said, the doctors felt the only plausible explanation for his illness was pneumonia, however, I did not think pneumonia had such a sudden onset. And when I say sudden, I mean sudden, as I brought both my dobes to the University the day before my male got sick to get full workups done on them so they could participate in the blood donor program. The results from my males blood work the day before was all within the normal range and comparable to that of my my females blood work.

My boy has been home for a week now and is on the mend, however, his primary vet, the breeder, myself and my network of dobe people are at a loss as to what this was and have a hard time believing the pneumonia could come on so suddenly and be so sever. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it was very nerve racking and the thing of biggest concern at the moment is whether or not I need to be concerned for the other dogs in the house. I can't sit at home with them all the time, but with how fast this came on, had it happened right after I had left for work, I may have come home to a dead dog.

I read somewhere about Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome, but there is very little information on it out there, and the ER doc at the U seemed completely clueless when I asked her about it.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Oh my goodness, I hope he will be ok :( the only thing that comes to mind is the low WBC, which could mean that whatever infection or virus he has, has been stewing for a while.

I hope they come up with a Dx soon, he sounds like he is in excellent care.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We thought about the possibility of it being an infection that had been stewing, however, he had a full work up done for the blood donor program the day before he fell ill and everything was normal. Had it been stewing for a while, one would think there would have been some evidence of it in the blood work from the day before.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Wow, sounds so scary. Hope he continues to improve.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Maybe reddobes will have some ideas? She's one of the vets that's local to us. Or send her a PM.

I have no ideas, but hope that Jameson has a full recovery.

Reactions: SeemlessDoberman

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,481 Posts
Click on your name on your avatar, click on "send private message to..." in the drop down box (don't worry about who yet, you can change that). Look for "send new message" in the long drop down list on the left and click on it.

The recipient name is the user name of the person you want to send your message to. Just like e-mails, you can separate names by semi-colons and send the same message to several people.

Type message, ornament it (works like posts do) if you want, click "send message".

Ta-daa!!

Now you can send me a message for practice. LOLOL (Just kidding....unless you want to).

I hope I got all the steps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I have more time; it's approaching bedtime which means time to potty all the dogs and get them settled. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
SeemlessD -- I'm writing out of desperation - hoping you might respond to me. I have a lab/retriever mix pup - 5 months, 2 weeks old - On March 1, 2012, he started vomiting and having diarrhea with a fever - refusing food and water, so I took him to the Animal Emergency Services/hospital in Oakdale. Much like you original post, they took X-rays, ran blood work, treated him with fluids and antibiotics and when everything was "inconclusive" - diagnosed him with gastroenteritis - he was sent home the next afternoon. He seemed to respond well to the meds, but they only gave 5 day worth. He had returned to his normal activity level and normal diet, then on March 9, 2012, "relapsed" - hard... same symptoms - higher fever. I took him to his normal clinic, they ran some tests and referred us back to AES. AES again came up with no answers. This time he's home on a longer course of antibiotics, bland diet and limited activity. I have been told to muzzle him when he's outside because they "think" it's something organic he's coming in contact with or ingesting.
I searched for canine illness in St. Paul, and your post popped up. This was after discussing my pups condition with my neighbor who lost her boxer/bulldog mix (<2 years) last year - she advised me it was the same symptoms. He came down with vomiting/diarrhea and in less than 24 hours had died. They figured he got into something but didn't figure out what or where.
I'm not sure if you'd talk with me further privately - I'd be curious where in St. Paul you live and whether or not you ever found out what caused the illness or if it has reoccurred. I have sent a note to the MN Department of health, just based on my dog and my neighbor's to request testing outdoors. There is also another Lab that lives on the block that is older and dying of colon cancer... I'm hoping there is a link, because that would likely help in finding a solution. Any answer/response would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
SeemlessD -- I'm writing out of desperation - hoping you might respond to me. I have a lab/retriever mix pup - 5 months, 2 weeks old - On March 1, 2012, he started vomiting and having diarrhea with a fever - refusing food and water, so I took him to the Animal Emergency Services/hospital in Oakdale. Much like you original post, they took X-rays, ran blood work, treated him with fluids and antibiotics and when everything was "inconclusive" - diagnosed him with gastroenteritis - he was sent home the next afternoon. He seemed to respond well to the meds, but they only gave 5 day worth. He had returned to his normal activity level and normal diet, then on March 9, 2012, "relapsed" - hard... same symptoms - higher fever. I took him to his normal clinic, they ran some tests and referred us back to AES. AES again came up with no answers. This time he's home on a longer course of antibiotics, bland diet and limited activity. I have been told to muzzle him when he's outside because they "think" it's something organic he's coming in contact with or ingesting.
I searched for canine illness in St. Paul, and your post popped up. This was after discussing my pups condition with my neighbor who lost her boxer/bulldog mix (<2 years) last year - she advised me it was the same symptoms. He came down with vomiting/diarrhea and in less than 24 hours had died. They figured he got into something but didn't figure out what or where.
I'm not sure if you'd talk with me further privately - I'd be curious where in St. Paul you live and whether or not you ever found out what caused the illness or if it has reoccurred. I have sent a note to the MN Department of health, just based on my dog and my neighbor's to request testing outdoors. There is also another Lab that lives on the block that is older and dying of colon cancer... I'm hoping there is a link, because that would likely help in finding a solution. Any answer/response would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle
Michelle, you may want to send her a PM in addition to posting, in case she isn't subscribed to updates. I'll also drop her an email and see if I can get an update on Jameson for you.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Help, my boy seems totally off

I have an almost 2 year old Dobe. His normal Special Ops guard dog and overly energetic self is not himself. I have noticed on the outside of his nose is turning white and he seems very lethargic. He is still eating and drinking, his breathing is not labored but he just seems off. We had him boarded with our trainer and picked him up a week ago, but only the past day or so has he seemed this way. It has been very hot here on NY , but we have central air. Just trying to seek some answers from the boards here. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,481 Posts
Kylem1970---

Please start another thread with your question, so folks will be sure to see it and respond appropriately. Because this is an old thread, people might not notice that there is a new post at the end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts