Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke record low this morning in SATX with 37F and by mid morning it was a comfortable 66F.
What better weather than to test out a new lens for camera with my favorite two subjects- Spock & Eva?
Spock just turned 9 y/o in March and Eva will be 9 y/o in June.
He hasn't slowed down, just getting grey with a few lumps and bumps, but still has puppy energy and zest...
Eva is still on a weight reduction diet to get her down to goal of 70 lbs. (9 more lbs. to go) She has no grey on muzzle, just some on her belly! :2smile:

Spock 2019 on Squirrel Watch- Age 9

Spock 2011 on Squirrel Watch- Age 1.8

Spock Monitoring Squirrel Activity....

Eva Takes Her Job Seriously..."Squirrels Non Grata"

Eva Zoned-In On Intruding Sciurus Carolinensis (grey squirrel)

Flowers On Fence Line- Type ??

More Flowers on Fence Line- ??

Cool Looking Palm Tree Pollen

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,599 Posts
Great pics of your gorgeous dogs, SD!

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great pics of your gorgeous dogs, SD!
Thanks TN, and appreciate your photo advice in your previous thread.
I opted for the Canon EF 100-400 F/4.5-5.6 IS II USM, like you have (long shots) Got off eBay mint condition at big discount vs NIB. It's a real bohemoth!

Also picked up Canon EF 24-105 F/4 L IS USM in mint condition.
(flower shots)

Will be saving up for a 4K Full frame body, probably Canon 5D IV, as I have only an APS-C sensor now in Rebel SL-1 Already have a 10-18 F/4.5 W/A zoom.

:2smile:

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Nice pics..thanks for sharing.....now that yer a fancy .....smancy .....photographer like TN.....guess we will have to get used to you talking in numbers...........40 this......50 that...........whew!!! My heads spinning..........seriously nice ....have fun with yer new gadgets.

·
Premium Member
9,006 Posts
Lady Di -- I'm thinking there may be a collusion going on here between SD and TN ! >:) Maybe 0402 needs to investigate this for a few years - lmao

SD - Nice pictures !

I have talked to Spocksdad many times on the phone - I have always wonder what people on the other end of the phone hear when they call me - After talking to SD - I know --- lol It's great - almost every time Spock and Eva let us know there is a squirrel running amuck on the phone line ! OR a fire truck in the distance , It's always great talking to the Caption !

Spock has that seasoned pro look - well Eva does to - A look that I love - waiting and watching every movement - or on pool patrol - lol

SD is blessed with two prize winners - that's for sure !

Now on the subject of these pictures - TN - remember SD is retired and will have plenty of time to master the TN Art of taking pictures -- lol All I know is my wife will have the big one if I spend the money to be competitive on here with a new picture taker and all the Len's that I would need :grin2::grin2:

Oh - about forgot the fence line deal - here on the farm - anything growing in a fence line is a weed of some kind or unwanted bush - I would spray them ! :grin2::grin2:

Thanks SD for the pictures !

Doc

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,599 Posts
Thanks TN, and appreciate your photo advice in your previous thread.
I opted for the Canon EF 100-400 F/4.5-5.6 IS II USM, like you have (long shots) Got off eBay mint condition at big discount vs NIB. It's a real bohemoth!

Also picked up Canon EF 24-105 F/4 L IS USM in mint condition.
(flower shots)

Will be saving up for a 4K Full frame body, probably Canon 5D IV, as I have only an APS-C sensor now in Rebel SL-1 Already have a 10-18 F/4.5 W/A zoom.

:2smile:
Currently I only have APS-C cameras (my old Canon 70D, a gifted 7D and my baby, the Canon 7D mark 2) I do like the added reach I get and love the 10 FPS of the 7D mk2 which is great for birds, moving wildlife, or dogs that won't always stand still LOL. One of these days I will get a 5D mk4 and if I ever win the lottery, I'll get the Canon 800mm lens...oh how I wish!

·
Premium Member
9,006 Posts
See what you started Lady Di ! You opened up the smart azz door with your post on numbers - lol

I would just be happy with a new polaroid - I'm getting tired of pulling out the picture and swinging it back and forth to dry them ! :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Beautiful pictures! Good looking kids you got there ❤

Not to hijack your thread but since we’re talking about roses maybe @melbrod or @Cressrb can pass along some advice.....I ha e several knockout roses I planted last year and never cut them down at the end of season, spring is quickly approaching and I’m not sure what to do with them?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,096 Posts
Assuming they are grafted tea roses (the typical kind of rose, with large multi-petaled blooms, that generally keep blooming most of the summer)....

You prune them in early-mid spring--if they still look dormant or are just starting to barely leaf out--I'm thinking your weather is still cold-ish:

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/roses/tips-for-pruning-roses/

Or let them go until they get through that first flush of spring bloom.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/spring-came-early-and-i-havent-pruned-my-roses-yet

Tea roses are grafted; bush roses and climbing roses may be--if you get any branches that are growing out from under the graft (the swollen part of the rose stem down close to the ground) cut those off as close to the stem as possible as soon as you see them. They are branches from the root stock of the rose--they will be a different flower type and may take over--they are generally more vigorous and hardy in cold weather than the grafted top part of the rose (that's why the top part of the rose is grafted onto its rootstock...it does better with the original plant's stronger root system.)

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/removing-rose-suckers.htm

If you have bush roses or climbing roses, they bloom on old wood, and tend to only bloom once a season (and maybe again late in the summer on the new growth which has matured a bit), so you trim those right after they finish blooming, or in the late fall or middle of the winter.

Old fashioned roses are not grafted so you don't have to worry about suckers; you trim after their spring bloom.

Clean up any debris from around and under the roses...old leaves, branches so you won't harbor insects. To get them ready for winter in cold climates, you should mound mulch or soil up around the graft union--remove that too.

Feed them once they've put out about 6 inches of new growth. Tea roses tend to like regular feeding; even old roses will benefit from a second feeding after their first rush of blooming in the spring.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Not a fan of roses. I have tried to develop a relationship with them, to understand them, learn what makes them happy, to slave for their well being, so they might like me and bloom for me and give
me pleasure. But, after all these years I have decided it is no use, and I am not one to give up easily, but they are 'mean'. They reach out when I walk by and am unaware and either pinch me or
tear my clothes and hang on until they at least draw blood. Aphids love them. Ants love them. I don't either ants or aphids. I have saved one last rose plant, a tree rose that my husband bought me.
It was a beautiful rose color and last year even that changed and it morphed back to a nondescript small white rose. So, even it is going gone this year.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Deer love them too.

I watched a deer very carefully extend its little lips (!) and suck every single flower off of my (last) bush rose one year--she didn't want the leaves or branches, just the blooms. The bushes do well, but the flowers just don't last.

That particular deer used to harvest my dandelions the same way though, so we sorta had a truce.

Cressrb--On tree roses the graft is sometimes right where the "trunk" branches out....maybe the original root stock is what is blooming now?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I thought that, too. You will have to give me tips on what to plant up near Yellowstone. Like what deer DON"T like. I have never seen a dandelion up there.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Not sure about the Yellowstone climate or soil, but in general...they won't eat iris, daffodils, hyacinth, peonies, lavender, daisies, zinnias, marigolds, yarrow, if your petunias are semi out of reach, they're not likely to come after them, barberry bushes, potentilla, sage, juniper they'll eat but not enough to make much of a difference. Yucca :)

One problem some of the thin-skinned trees (fruit trees, aspens) have is that when they polish their antlers in the fall, they can damage the bark and trunk badly, especially on young trees. And even the bushes they don't eat, if they don't have thorns, they will break branches as they whip their heads around sharpening those things.

I see people protecting various plants they want with chicken wire, but I think that's so ugly I just don't bother to plant stuff they'll chow down on.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I haven't seen buffalo where we are. I have run into buffalo when snowmobiling in the Park. I mean not actually running into them on purpose.....
Elk and moose, yes! Not sure what I am going to do. The old homestead had Serviceberry trees everywhere. I am thinking they used the berries
for jams, but it was pointed out to me last fall where bears had been bedding down in the trees and eating the berries for themselves. Believe me,
I have been taking those trees down in masse.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts