Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am a new member and have already found this forum very helpful. I have been searching for a red girl for over a year and have yet to find a good fit but I am hopeful that I will soon! Trying to do my due diligence, I looked at a puppy today hoping she would be the one and noticed that all of the puppies in the litter had feet that didn't look like they met the standard of the breed but I am wondering if it is just the age of the dog. Can anyone tell me if this is what a 6-week old puppy's feet should look like? I am no expert on the standards and so I could use some education in this area and picking a puppy. Her personality seemed perfect for our family.

·
Super Moderator
15,529 Posts
That looks pretty normal. Who is the breeder? A great breeder will generally select the puppy for you and probably would not know which puppy you would be getting until after 8 weeks or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks pretty normal. Who is the breeder? A great breeder will generally select the puppy for you and probably would not know which puppy you would be getting until after 8 weeks or so.
Thank you. I have been researching everywhere trying to figure it out. The breeder is Little's Dobermans. I have been on a waiting list with a couple of breeders over the past year. I was made aware of this pup and wanted to visit the litter to verify it wasn't a scam. I have not committed to anything yet.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Renee, have they provided proof of health testing? Are they titling their dogs in at least one venue?

Editing to add: their advertisement on AKC Marketplace says they don't compete. I would avoid. A breed like this, you want breeders proving their dogs should be bred in at least one venue, be that work or show. I would also be VERY concerned they aren't doing all the things to health test their dogs. I would encourage you to look elsewhere.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Hi, RenéeD! Welcome to the forum.

Do you live in Missouri? I've lived most of my life in Missouri and we have some very nice Doberman breeders in our state. Unfortunately, Little's Dobermans is not one that I'm familiar with.

According to AKC Marketplace, they're located in Diamond, which is in the southwest corner of the state. In that area of the state, I would encourage you to reach out to Lee Ann Hunnicutt (Ozark Autumn Dobermans) and/or Jana Dupre (Promise-Olympia Dobermans). They are both in Ash Grove, MO (near Springfield). Unfortunately, both of their websites are super out-of-date and I don't think either has a kennel page on Facebook. But both are personally searchable on Facebook and I'm sure you can message them that way.

If you're willing to consider breeders across Missouri, then I recommend Ali Doughty (Old Drum Dobermans) in Harrisonville, MO (near KC), Angie Tucker (Zane Dobermans) in Lee's Summit, MO (near KC), and Kevin & Lesley Crider (K-Ley Dobermans) in House Springs, MO (in the STL area).

I know every person I've listed and wouldn't recommend someone I'm not comfortable with. They all title, health test, and are nice, supportive people and breeders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Renee, have they provided proof of health testing? Are they titling their dogs in at least one venue?

Editing to add: their advertisement on AKC Marketplace says they don't compete. I would avoid. A breed like this, you want breeders proving their dogs should be bred in at least one venue, be that work or show. I would also be VERY concerned they aren't doing all the things to health test their dogs. I would encourage you to look elsewhere.
Thank you so much for the information. Yes, I have proof of health testing on the Sire and Dam and I have a family tree going back 8 generations. I have verified all of the documentation provided. They are very responsive and have answered all of my many questions. I have visited the property, met the Dam and some of their other dogs. They keep the pups inside in a heated and air-conditioned area and the premise was spotless. They only have 2 liters a year. The only flag so far has been the fact that they don't show.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, RenéeD! Welcome to the forum.

Do you live in Missouri? I've lived most of my life in Missouri and we have some very nice Doberman breeders in our state. Unfortunately, Little's Dobermans is not one that I'm familiar with.

According to AKC Marketplace, they're located in Diamond, which is in the southwest corner of the state. In that area of the state, I would encourage you to reach out to Lee Ann Hunnicutt (Ozark Autumn Dobermans) and/or Jana Dupre (Promise-Olympia Dobermans). They are both in Ash Grove, MO (near Springfield). Unfortunately, both of their websites are super out-of-date and I don't think either has a kennel page on Facebook. But both are personally searchable on Facebook and I'm sure you can message them that way.

If you're willing to consider breeders across Missouri, then I recommend Ali Doughty (Old Drum Dobermans) in Harrisonville, MO (near KC), Angie Tucker (Zane Dobermans) in Lee's Summit, MO (near KC), and Kevin & Lesley Crider (K-Ley Dobermans) in House Springs, MO (in the STL area).

I know every person I've listed and wouldn't recommend someone I'm not comfortable with. They all title, health test, and are nice, supportive people and breeders.
Thank you so much for your information I really appreciate the help. I actually live in Olathe Kansas in the suburbs of Kansas City. What I really want is an American Doberman which seems to be impossible to find in my area. I was raised with American Dobermans. My parent showed Dobermans for many years in TX so I am very familiar with the breed. I actually rescued a European Doberman when he was 6 months old and he was a handful that took about 3 years to turn into a wonderful dog. He was beautiful and I loved him very much and it has been 4 years since he passed, but, I prefer what I grew up with which seems to be a unicorn in the state of MO and KS. I have research and contacted just about every well know reputable breeder to include 2 that you mentioned above. Either no one returns my messages, their dogs are more geared towards IPO (which I am not interested in doing), or they are interested in answering my many questions, or I have been on a waiting list for over a year with no hope of getting a dog in the next 2 years which makes me think never. I am frustrated with the whole process. All of which has brought me to look at this puppy. But, I love the breed and I will not make an irresponsible decision so I am being very methodical with this breeder.

I just want a family pet, I would even consider showing a dog if the right situation came along. I just don't understand why I never get picked to have a dog. I own my home and have been there for 18 years, my yard is fenced, I am a runner, and I live within walking distance of a dog park. I don't have any young children, my youngest is 18 and in college. I have (1) 16 year old Ragdoll cat that grew up with a Doberman and is very laid back. I understand that it is a situation I will need to have complete control of and it worked fine for my crazy rescue, there were absolutely no issues there. I brought him into a house with 3 senior animals, a schnauzer, and 2 Ragdolls. I was a stay-at-home Mom and so with no kids at home, I have all the time and energy to focus on a Doberman puppy. My Husband works out of the house and so he will also be at home for the times I need to leave for more than 30 mins. And, I have never in my life given up an animal. I even have plans for my adult daughter to take the dog if anything happens to us.

Sorry for all of the information. I may just end up with a schnauzer.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Thank you so much for the information. Yes, I have proof of health testing on the Sire and Dam and I have a family tree going back 8 generations. I have verified all of the documentation provided. They are very responsive and have answered all of my many questions. I have visited the property, met the Dam and some of their other dogs. They keep the pups inside in a heated and air-conditioned area and the premise was spotless. They only have 2 liters a year. The only flag so far has been the fact that they don't show.
What sort of health testing are they doing? The information I found is...pretty much nothing. How many bitches are they breeding to have 2 litters per years?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What sort of health testing are they doing? The information I found is...pretty much nothing. How many bitches are they breeding to have 2 litters per years?
They do vWD von Willebrand's Disease and DCM 1 and 2 which all came back negative for both parents.

I believe they have 2 females and she said that it was the Momma dog's last litter (she is 4 or 5). They only had 3 dogs on the premises. One was a male who was not the Sire of the litter. The Sire is at another Kennel. And, I actually think I misspoke because now I am remembering that she said this was the first year they had 2 litters and that usually, it is one because it is a lot of work.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,282 Posts
DCM is very common in dobes, and the DCM 1 and 2 tests are really only of academic interest at this point. Understanding the genetics of DCM in dobermans is just in the beginning stages, and there appear to be a number of genes which influence its development. A dog can be negative for one or both of the DCM gene tests you mention and still develop DCM; likewise, he can be positive and never have symptoms.

The breeders need to have done a 24 hour holter and a cardiogram on each parent within the last year (even better if it is within 6 months) before breeding. Those are tests they just can't skip and be reputable breeders.

You should also look at causes of death in grandparents, aunts and uncles, pups in other litters from the same parents--or at least look for early deaths if you can't find causes. Every dobe has DCM in its bloodlines somewhere, but you want those affected dogs to be as far back in the pedigree as possible when you are evaluating a litter for health.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DCM is very common in dobes, and the DCM 1 and 2 tests are really only of academic interest at this point. Understanding the genetics of DCM in dobermans is just in the beginning stages, and there appear to be a number of genes which influence its development. A dog can be negative for one or both of the DCM gene tests you mention and still develop DCM; likewise, he can be positive and never have symptoms.

The breeders need to have done a 24 hour holter and a cardiogram on each parent within the last year (even better if it is within 6 months) before breeding. Those are tests they just can't skip and be reputable breeders.

You should also look at causes of death in grandparents, aunts and uncles, pups in other litters from the same parents--or at least look for early deaths if you can't find causes. Every dobe has DCM in its bloodlines somewhere, but you want those affected dogs to be as far back in the pedigree as possible when you are evaluating a litter for health.
Thank you for the information. I will definitely add this all to my list of questions when researching breeders.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I have research and contacted just about every well know reputable breeder to include 2 that you mentioned above. Either no one returns my messages, their dogs are more geared towards IPO (which I am not interested in doing), or they are interested in answering my many questions, or I have been on a waiting list for over a year with no hope of getting a dog in the next 2 years which makes me think never.

I'm sorry you're having such a frustrating experience in your breeder & puppy search. You sound like you can provide a good home and you have first-hand experience with the breed - those are both strengths!

I just want to provide some context to what you're experiencing. In the case of breeders not returning messages, it sucks but some breeders - even really good ones - just don't answer emails or return phone calls. The breeder of my Rat Terrier is notoriously difficult to get in touch with if you don't have a strong reference, as in someone who knows her well that will vouch for you. She's been breeding nice enough dogs for long enough that basically every one of her pups is spoken for well in advance of being born, so she really doesn't need to screen or approve any new puppy owners. Also, she works a lot, hates email, doesn't care for small talk, and won't answer her phone if she doesn't know you. 😂 I can laugh now because I finally managed to get a dog from her but I spent months trying to get in touch with her (I really wanted one of her dogs and he has been 100% worth it) before I finally, through a mutual Doberman-owning friend, made friends with one of her good friends and she called the breeder and vouched for me and told her to call me. Thankfully she did but, holy smokes, I don't think I've ever done so many back-flips trying to get in touch with someone. hahaha It's frustrating for the interested puppy buyer but that's just how it goes sometimes.

So, I would say if you're calling and leaving messages but not hearing back, then try sending an email. And vice versa. If you're emailing without response, try calling. And maybe you're doing both already, which is good. But you can even say here who you'd like to talk to and maybe one of us knows them and can give you more information or even assist in putting you in touch with them.

The second point, re: looooooong wait lists. This is a very common problem right now. During normal times, it's not uncommon to wait a year. Then, when the pandemic hit, many breeders put their breeding plans on-hold. But a lot of people suddenly found themselves spending way more time at home as so many people began working remotely. A ton of people decided now is the perfect time for a puppy and they all rushed to breeders...who, again, tend to have wait lists of interested people under normal conditions. So, now, many breeders have excessive wait lists, stretching out to 2-3 years from now because most good breeders don't breed more than a few times per year, max (many breeders don't breed more than once per year, and I know plenty who don't even breed every year). And this situation can also lead to breeders not responding to puppy buyer inquiries because many of them have been inundated with emails and phone calls, which , at a point, can simply be too many to get through quickly or at all and balls get dropped. You might just have to be very persistent and patient.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry you're having such a frustrating experience in your breeder & puppy search. You sound like you can provide a good home and you have first-hand experience with the breed - those are both strengths!

I just want to provide some context to what you're experiencing. In the case of breeders not returning messages, it sucks but some breeders - even really good ones - just don't answer emails or return phone calls. The breeder of my Rat Terrier is notoriously difficult to get in touch with if you don't have a strong reference, as in someone who knows her well that will vouch for you. She's been breeding nice enough dogs for long enough that basically every one of her pups is spoken for well in advance of being born, so she really doesn't need to screen or approve any new puppy owners. Also, she works a lot, hates email, doesn't care for small talk, and won't answer her phone if she doesn't know you. 😂 I can laugh now because I finally managed to get a dog from her but I spent months trying to get in touch with her (I really wanted one of her dogs and he has been 100% worth it) before I finally, through a mutual Doberman-owning friend, made friends with one of her good friends and she called the breeder and vouched for me and told her to call me. Thankfully she did but, holy smokes, I don't think I've ever done so many back-flips trying to get in touch with someone. hahaha It's frustrating for the interested puppy buyer but that's just how it goes sometimes.

So, I would say if you're calling and leaving messages but not hearing back, then try sending an email. And vice versa. If you're emailing without response, try calling. And maybe you're doing both already, which is good. But you can even say here who you'd like to talk to and maybe one of us knows them and can give you more information or even assist in putting you in touch with them.

The second point, re: looooooong wait lists. This is a very common problem right now. During normal times, it's not uncommon to wait a year. Then, when the pandemic hit, many breeders put their breeding plans on-hold. But a lot of people suddenly found themselves spending way more time at home as so many people began working remotely. A ton of people decided now is the perfect time for a puppy and they all rushed to breeders...who, again, tend to have wait lists of interested people under normal conditions. So, now, many breeders have excessive wait lists, stretching out to 2-3 years from now because most good breeders don't breed more than a few times per year, max (many breeders don't breed more than once per year, and I know plenty who don't even breed every year). And this situation can also lead to breeders not responding to puppy buyer inquiries because many of them have been inundated with emails and phone calls, which, at a point, can simply be too many to get through quickly or at all and balls get dropped. You might just have to be very persistent and patient.
Thank you for the information. I have called, emailed, and texted multiple breeders, and taken the time to complete their long application, and there has only been 1 breeder respond back. The breeder that I am on a waiting list for, and thankfully they are my #1 pick. Unfortunately, though, their next litter is expected to be strong in the IPO area and preference is given to people who already show or compete and it is expected to be a small litter, so, I probably won't get one of those dogs and IPO is not a good fit for us. My journey started way before COVID. I even have experience with a very difficult Doberman that I rescued and turned into the best dog yet and he passed away about 4 years ago. All in All, I have lived with about 12 Dobermans over my lifetime. It is just sad really that someone like me can't seem to get a dog from a reputable breeder. No wonder so many people find alternative places, they have no chance if someone with my experience can't get a dog. Sounds like it is just all in who you know and the fact that I have references I can give from good sources just doesn't even matter...like my Vet that I have been bringing my animals to for 19 years or the pet rescue places that I got my two dogs from and then kept for their whole lives, and the dog trainers I have worked with over the years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the information. I have called, emailed, and texted multiple breeders, and taken the time to complete their long application, and there has only been 1 breeder respond back. The breeder that I am on a waiting list for, and thankfully they are my #1 pick. Unfortunately, though, their next litter is expected to be strong in the IPO area and preference is given to people who already show or compete and it is expected to be a small litter, so, I probably won't get one of those dogs and IPO is not a good fit for us. My journey started way before COVID. I even have experience with a very difficult Doberman that I rescued and turned into the best dog yet and he passed away about 4 years ago. All in All, I have lived with about 12 Dobermans over my lifetime. It is just sad really that someone like me can't seem to get a dog from a reputable breeder. No wonder so many people find alternative places, they have no chance if someone with my experience can't get a dog. Sounds like it is just all in who you know and the fact that I have references I can give from good sources just doesn't even matter...like my Vet that I have been bringing my animals to for 19 years or the pet rescue places that I got my two dogs from and then kept for their whole lives, and the dog trainers I have worked with over the years.
Oh and to add...the dog I adopted was from a young couple who kept their puppy in a kennel all day long while they worked and then got hardly any attention on the weekends. He wasn't socialized, was allowed to take over the house, and was not taught any manners or potty trained. This couple got this dog from a "reputable" breeder in FL and when the dog got old enough to be really out of hand in his teenage years they decided that they would give him up because supposable they felt sorry for him. I suspect though it was because they didn't want to bother with a difficult dog. I know this story because this puppy went to my very irresponsible nephew and when I found out I convinced him to give the dog to me. I went through it with that dog and I am sure that most people couldn't have handled him and his issues. He wouldn't even walk 10 feet from my house without physically pushing me back to the house because of his anxiety about being away from his home. It took me a whole year to get him to walk around the block in peace and that is only 1 story of hundreds that I went through with that dog. All because the "Reputable Breeder" didn't do their due diligence.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I think I misunderstood how long you've been looking. In your original post you mentioned that you've been searching for a puppy for over a year and later you say you've been on a wait list for a year. So, I was assuming you've been searching for...well, about a year, going by that when I provided additional information that it's not uncommon, during normal times, to wait a year for a well-bred pup. Then, considering that we've been dealing with a pandemic for over a year now, that has further complicated things, meaning even longer wait lists and times aren't uncommon for everyone looking for a puppy. If you've been searching for several years, then my comment probably doesn't apply to you!

Also, please don't take my comment to mean that you have to be connected to get a well-bred puppy. That's not what I'm trying to say. I merely provided my experience (in another breed) about what it took to get a dog from a specific well-known breeder whose dogs are typically in very high demand to say that it can take more time or be a bit more difficult depending on what breeder(s) you're trying to get a pup or dog from. Since your parents showed Dobermans I'm guessing you already know that but I mentioned it in case you aren't aware. :)

Good luck in your continued search!

Reactions: MMcCown and melbrod

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
How far are you willing to travel?

I just saw that Nancy Young of Dillon Dobermans is hoping for a litter due June 5. Pregnancy is yet to be confirmed, but she is accepting applications. Facebook (Her contact info is also on the breeder referral page on DPCA.org: (715) 267-6468, [email protected]).

You might consider the "Reputable Doberman Puppies" group on Facebook, if you are on there. Another resource to possibly connect with breeders. Facebook Groups

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I misunderstood how long you've been looking. In your original post you mentioned that you've been searching for a puppy for over a year and later you say you've been on a wait list for a year. So, I was assuming you've been searching for...well, about a year, going by that when I provided additional information that it's not uncommon, during normal times, to wait a year for a well-bred pup. Then, considering that we've been dealing with a pandemic for over a year now, that has further complicated things, meaning even longer wait lists and times aren't uncommon for everyone looking for a puppy. If you've been searching for several years, then my comment probably doesn't apply to you!

Also, please don't take my comment to mean that you have to be connected to get a well-bred puppy. That's not what I'm trying to say. I merely provided my experience (in another breed) about what it took to get a dog from a specific well-known breeder whose dogs are typically in very high demand to say that it can take more time or be a bit more difficult depending on what breeder(s) you're trying to get a pup or dog from. Since your parents showed Dobermans I'm guessing you already know that but I mentioned it in case you aren't aware. :)

Good luck in your continued search!
I realize you are just trying to help and keep my hopes up, I appreciate it and thank you for the information. Let me clarify, this is the second time I have tried to get a dog. Once shortly after my Doberman passed about 4 years ago and I tried for more than a year trying to get someone to respond so I just gave up. Then, about a year ago I thought that perhaps I didn't try hard enough and didn't follow up enough so I started trying again and have experienced the same thing. I will stick it out a little longer and hope that I will get a dog from the Breeder that is expecting puppies next week. We will see and if not I will extend my search to areas farther away. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How far are you willing to travel?

I just saw that Nancy Young of Dillon Dobermans is hoping for a litter due June 5. Pregnancy is yet to be confirmed, but she is accepting applications. Facebook (Her contact info is also on the breeder referral page on DPCA.org: (715) 267-6468, [email protected]).

You might consider the "Reputable Doberman Puppies" group on Facebook, if you are on there. Another resource to possibly connect with breeders. Facebook Groups
Thank you for the information, I will look into Dillon Dobermans. I do belong to a couple of Facebook groups and there have been dogs available but when I do my research many of the breeders don't check out even though people say they are reputable. I think that some people have different definitions of what defines a reputable breeder. For example, I had this one breeder that had a lot of recommendations on a local Doberman group. After I contacted the breeder, they had dogs that I could have gotten, but, they wouldn't answer my list of questions. They would answer a couple and then not respond to most. Of course, when I asked how he accepted deposits he was quick to answer with his PayPal account. Just not going to get a dog from a large kennel cranking out the Dobermans and can't answer simple questions like the Dam and Sires health history. I do not belong to the "Reputable Doberman Puppies" group, I will check that out as well. Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Thank you for the information, I will look into Dillon Dobermans. I do belong to a couple of Facebook groups and there have been dogs available but when I do my research many of the breeders don't check out even though people say they are reputable. I think that some people have different definitions of what defines a reputable breeder. For example, I had this one breeder that had a lot of recommendations on a local Doberman group. After I contacted the breeder, they had dogs that I could have gotten, but, they wouldn't answer my list of questions. They would answer a couple and then not respond to most. Of course, when I asked how he accepted deposits he was quick to answer with his PayPal account. Just not going to get a dog from a large kennel cranking out the Dobermans and can't answer simple questions like the Dam and Sires health history. I do not belong to the "Reputable Doberman Puppies" group, I will check that out as well. Thank you for your help.
Nancy lives in Wisconsin now - she is a reputable breeder, but I would advise that you always ask about testing. There are unfortunately plenty of "reputable" breeders that do not do nearly enough testing by my personal standards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts