1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It is sad and unfortunate that this dog did not have an owner who provided the kind of care which would have allowed him to have had a possibly better and longer life.

Insofar as I can tell, there is no way to tell what his origins were. To use him as an indictment of poor breeders doesn't have any foundation. The article starts with: "Spike was clearly the progeny of an irresponsible breeder, his ears are perfectly cropped, he’s not neutered, he has been taught basic commands." How does this make him clearly the progeny of an irresponsible breeder? My well-bred dog was cropped, intact, obedience trained... he also had a crappy immune system, hypothyroidism, was vonWillebrand affected and died of cardiomyopathy. I'm just sayin'... not every sad story makes for a poster child for the cause de jour.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
He certainly was the product of a breeder that did not keep in touch with puppy buyers or take the dog back when the health problems became so severe.

Spike also passed away today

From Carli Davidsons FB page
Carli Davidson Pet Photography
Spike passed today after a week in hospice with a loving family, kids to play with, home cooked meals, and a warm soft place to sleep. He was happily resting with his big doberman head on Amanda - Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation when his heart, that was severely enlarged, stopped beating. Amanda, you are amazing. Please DO NOT buy dogs from backyard breeders, and bring your dogs to the vet regularly. If you no longer want your pet then find a rescue for them or bring them to a no kill shelter, do not just let it go. Also if you are considering adopting remember that all dogs regardless of looks, age, or medical status can make loving pets

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
He certainly was the product of a breeder that did not keep in touch with puppy buyers or take the dog back when the health problems became so severe.
Given time and were I so inclined, I could probably come up with a hundred scenarios which theoretically could have resulted in this dog's situation. In some of them, there would be breeder negligance... in some of them, there would not. There is little chance that anyone will ever know how this dog came to be in the situation and condition he was. I see no point in speculating. And, no basis for saying: "Spike is a shining example of poor breeding and an abusive owner." Maybe he was, but maybe he wasn't. It would be interesting to know if it was the irresponsible breeder or the abusive owner who was responsible for having had him "perfectly cropped" and teaching him obedience commands.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Given time and were I so inclined, I could probably come up with a hundred scenarios which theoretically could have resulted in this dog's situation. In some of them, there would be breeder negligance... in some of them, there would not. There is little chance that anyone will ever know how this dog came to be in the situation and condition he was. I see no point in speculating. And, no basis for saying: "Spike is a shining example of poor breeding and an abusive owner." Maybe he was, but maybe he wasn't. It would be interesting to know if it was the irresponsible breeder or the abusive owner who was responsible for having had him "perfectly cropped" and teaching him obedience commands.
Mmctaq- usually I agree with the posts you make, and respect your opinion. Here I gotta say you may be a bit "outta left field". Not regarding the breeder, I cant speak to that. But ANYONE (previous owner) who was responsible for Spike, seeing those photos, and neglected to treat demodex that got to THAT place is abusive. Period. Unless he was a wandering stray for MONTHS, someone didn't treat that dog, and that's abusive. Not even going to the cancerous tumors visible...

Somethings are not worth defending

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
I actually responded in another post with this story, but I'll say it again... This is why people should stay away from BYB! They do not care about the health of the puppies they are breeding, they do not screen homes and this is what happens, another innocent dog that was neglected from day one. Good for her for giving this guy a life he deserved from the start.

Shaun

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Mmctaq- usually I agree with the posts you make, and respect your opinion. Here I gotta say you may be a bit "outta left field". Not regarding the breeder, I cant speak to that. But ANYONE (previous owner) who was responsible for Spike, seeing those photos, and neglected to treat demodex that got to THAT place is abusive. Period. Unless he was a wandering stray for MONTHS, someone didn't treat that dog, and that's abusive. Not even going to the cancerous tumors visible...

Somethings are not worth defending
I haven't defended anyone, beyond saying exactly what you did... I cannot (as you cannot and no one can) speak to the breeder. The article and this thread both directed negative judgement toward whoever bred Spike and used his condition as a platform from which to condemn irresponsible backyard breeders; my only point is that there is not and likely will not ever be basis for making that connection.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I haven't defended anyone, beyond saying exactly what you did... I cannot (as you cannot and no one can) speak to the breeder. The article and this thread both directed negative judgement toward whoever bred Spike and used his condition as a platform from which to condemn irresponsible backyard breeders; my only point is that there is not and likely will not ever be basis for making that connection.
Oh c'mon, even a novice Doberman person can take one look at poor Spike and see he comes from a craptastic breeding program.

I'm sorry you had issues with the dog you say came from a "reputable breeder," but you wave that flag a lot here--if it's such a cause du jour for you, why don't you name your breeder? After all, that might prevent further heartbreak from someone else contemplating purchasing a puppy from them, correct?

I'm so glad Spike got some love and comfort at the end of his too-short life.

I've taken in animals for hospice care at times, over the years, and it is truly hard, but also very rewarding. Seeing them relax and know they will be taken care of, at the end, is just amazing.

What this gal did for Spike mattered, and I wish more folks were able to see that the quality of time sometimes trumps the quantity, even though it's a sad task to undertake.

Btw, I took in a "hospice" bunny with a severe congenital condition from the local shelter where I volunteer. She was not expected to live more than a couple days...and was still going strong nearly eight years later, when she finally had her little body fail her.

I've had another bunny not last 48 hours, but I'll never forget how cool he was, even with how bad he felt.

So, you just never know for sure, when you take in one in need.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I would like to acknowledge Amanda. Her karma bank is overflowing. Spike's story shouldnt be about how many times he was failed. Thats obvious and unfortunately unremarkable. It should be about how he made it. Not for very long, but he did. He survived long enough to find love and safety and home. Amanda gave it to him, and he waits for her at the bridge.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Oh c'mon, even a novice Doberman person can take one look at poor Spike and see he comes from a craptastic breeding program.

I'm sorry you had issues with the dog you say came from a "reputable breeder," but you wave that flag a lot here--if it's such a cause du jour for you, why don't you name your breeder? After all, that might prevent further heartbreak from someone else contemplating purchasing a puppy from them, correct?

I'm so glad Spike got some love and comfort at the end of his too-short life.
His eyes were roundish, he was down-faced, he had a weird ear set and his feet weren't great... it's kind of hard to tell much more considering his condition and the postures he was in in the photos. Whether or not that's enough to define where he came from as a craptastic breeding program, I am not judgemental or clarvoyant enough to say.

The person who bred my dog is on this board, as are at least two people who own littermates of my dog. I don't know anything about one of the two, but the other's just celebrated a healthy eleventh birthday. I would not discourage anyone from obtaining a puppy from this breeder... I will be forever grateful to her for having sold me the most wonderful animal I will ever have the privilege of owning, and I in no way hold her responsible for the fact that he was not gifted with longevity. As for identifying her here? Fat freaking chance!

I, too, am glad that Spike had those few days.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
You aren't the only one to frequent the DP BARF yahoo group, where this information is/was posted.

The person who bred my dog is on this board, as are at least two people who own littermates of my dog. I don't know anything about one of the two, but the other's just celebrated a healthy eleventh birthday. I would not discourage anyone from obtaining a puppy from this breeder... I will be forever grateful to her for having sold me the most wonderful animal I will ever have the privilege of owning, and I in no way hold her responsible for the fact that he was not gifted with longevity. As for identifying her here? Fat freaking chance!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts