Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this weird crazy dream that I was trolling CL and found a Dobergirl, for free, went picked her up. When I got there it was apparent that she was seriously about to whelp. Under the conditions she was in.. I took her to the vet, got an X-ray, did a bunch of prenatal things, got her home, waited. She had her pups, I docked their tails, raised the litter up. Well round comes 7 weeks, I want their ears done (it was a small litter - all the pups had willing adoptive homes). Well in my dream, once they were put under for their ears, I went ahead and spayed/neutered them. So there were no "accidents" whatsoever.

I guess my question is, can this be done? Can puppies safety be spayed or neutered at that young of an age?

Thanks, this is purely out of curiosity!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The Toronto Animal Services spay/neuter kittens and puppies. In my experience in helping with the surgeries, it's much more complicated when they are young. It's harder to keep their vitals level, and they don't handle the anesthesia well, they come out fists (or paws in this case) flying and sharp teeth wanting to attach to something. Mortality rate is higher as well, we had three kittens come in, two survived the spay/neuter.

It can be done, but it is more risky than spay/neutering a much larger, more developed, cat or dog.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
It is done routinely in rescue it IS the only 100% way to ensure you aren't contributing to the pet over population. Also it is one less time they have to go under which is always a bonus for pet and pet owner.
In ky experience they recover within hours of surgery and hardly realize anything has been done to them. I am in 100% support of it.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is done routinely in rescue it IS the only 100% way to ensure you aren't contributing to the pet over population. Also it is one less time the ha e to go under which is always a bonus for pet and pet owner.
This is what I was thinking. Exactly. I'm doubtful it will ever ever happen, but I like to plan.

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
I feel the same as thea. Yes, it's riskier. Yes, it would be more ideal to let them mature first. However, to me, as someone who's worked in rescue for a long time, the benefits outweigh the risks.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was going to say probably less invasive for the males, but since they haven't dropped yet, that may not be true.

With males, they will also never fully mature with that masculine look and they may never hike a leg (which may be a good thing).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts